Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
elliesdad77

glenfield street

hello,

my name is dominic and i'm new to this site, i am hoping to try and find out about the place i was born in, it was 29 ( i believe ) glenfield street in april 1966, my parents are james and ann culleton, if anyone has any info on the house with pictures if possible and on my parents i would be very grateful,

thankyou

No images for Glenfield Street on Virtual Mitchell or the Glasgow Story, which is where you'd expect to find something.

This was taken in 1949. It's on google images. Glenfield Street is one of the three streets which converge where the ice cream vendor is, but no idea which one.

Aice.jpg

I thought that photo was familiar, so I typed 'glenfield' into the search, and sure enough, it's been posted on here before, by Maggs in 2007.

No images for Glenfield Street on Virtual Mitchell or the Glasgow Story, which is where you'd expect to find something.

This was taken in 1949. It's on google images. Glenfield Street is one of the three streets which converge where the ice cream vendor is, but no idea which one.

Aice.jpg

Hi Dominic,

Last year I was at a wedding reception in the Barony Hall (just off Castle St near the Cathedral) and the picture posted here reminds me of the entrance to the hall, on the right hand side.

I could be totally barking, but is that not the Royal Infirmary in the background (two of four kinda turretted affairs)? There's also a dome in the original picture, which might I think belong to the Royal or a building nearby.

Please look here and see what you think? This pic is taken from a different angle, but I think you can ID the features all the same;

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...l_infirmary.jpg

No mention of Glenfield St on Multimap, I looked where I expected it might be, but no mention of it. But if I am right, Glenfield St must have been only a block or two from the Royal on Castle St.

There has been a lot of development around the area what with the M8 motorway and tis likely some streets are no longer there.

Sorry not to have a definitive answer but maybe a clue I hope.

D77, you may have more luck over on 'Glesga Pals' 'Hidden Glasgow' 'Urban Glasgow' or 'The Glasgow Guide' Come back and let us know how you got on.

This is the only photo that I've managed to find so far:

Glenfield St. is the one marked with the red dot (sadly damaged by the binder hole) it exits onto Warnock St. (pink dot) which in turn exits onto Wishart St. (blue dot)

James Orr St. is the one dotted in Orange, it exits onto Wishart St.

In the 'Gizzi, the ice-cream man' photo by Andrew MacDonald, the pov would seem to be looking directly up Warnock St. The 'cobbled exit from James Orr St. can be seen at bottom right.

The 'chimney stack' of course can be seen in both photographs.

The top ends of Glenfield St. & James Orr St. would exit onto Alexandria Parade. (out of shot)

HighStreet3copy.jpg

Town Plan 1892-94:

glen.jpg

Andrew MacDonald site:

http://www.tones.demon.co.uk/Mac/index.htm

By jove, I think you've cracked it, HH!

Would sure fit with the skyline views taking in the Royal Infirmary as I suspected (hard to miss in both pics).

And this would explain why we can't find modern references to Glenfield St because what is on that site now I think is the modern extension to the Royal that sits just parallel to the M8 looking east.

By jove, I think you've cracked it, HH!

Would sure fit with the skyline views taking in the Royal Infirmary as I suspected (hard to miss in both pics).

And this would explain why we can't find modern references to Glenfield St because what is on that site now I think is the modern extension to the Royal that sits just parallel to the M8 looking east.

hi i really appreciate your response to my original question, i got the house number wrong, i checked my birth certificate and it was actually No 35, my fathers name is James Culleton or Seamus Culleton to others, my mother is Ann (cullen)my christian name is James but my mother decided to use my middle name Dominic for whatever reason, she said that there was a very naughty James the same age as me in the same close whose mother would scream at him to "get in this f*%&ing hoose" (sorry i cant write it like you pros) anyway she did not want any other neighbour to think it was her using such profanities so she used my middle name, does anyone remember them? at that time in 1966/67 there were 4 girls, Elizabeth,(4) Geraldine,(3) Ann (2) Dominic (1) and Kathleen (just born), they left for england in a rush and i need to know why

This was the area post modern extension but pre multi storey car park:

(use the old chimney stack as a ref point)

Aerial_Royal__4.jpg

Aerial_Royal_3.jpg

Aerial_Royal.jpg

they left for england in a rush and i need to know why

You need to know why? Or are ye just a nosey beggar?? ;):huh: I'm afraid I will be of no help to you, so good luck!

hi i really appreciate your response to my original question, i got the house number wrong, i checked my birth certificate and it was actually No 35, my fathers name is James Culleton or Seamus Culleton to others, my mother is Ann (cullen)my christian name is James but my mother decided to use my middle name Dominic for whatever reason, she said that there was a very naughty James the same age as me in the same close whose mother would scream at him to "get in this f*%&ing hoose" (sorry i cant write it like you pros) anyway she did not want any other neighbour to think it was her using such profanities so she used my middle name, does anyone remember them? at that time in 1966/67 there were 4 girls, Elizabeth,(4) Geraldine,(3) Ann (2) Dominic (1) and Kathleen (just born), they left for england in a rush and i need to know why

Thanks to everyone that's helped pinpoint the location of Glenfield St.

However if anyone has info on the family circumstances that Dominic is keen to find out about, please reply to him by private message and not here on the public board.

Ithankewe.

Rolo

Guest money

Thanks to everyone that's helped pinpoint the location of Glenfield St.

However if anyone has info on the family circumstances that Dominic is keen to find out about, please reply to him by private message and not here on the public board.

Ithankewe.

Rolo

People leave Scotland in a hurry for all sorts of reasons ;)

hi lynski, that was a silly answer, how can i be "nosey" about my parents? what a stupid childish response, if you have nothing constructive to offer me in my search then please do not respond,

regards dominic

You need to know why? Or are ye just a nosey beggar?? ;):huh: I'm afraid I will be of no help to you, so good luck!

hi lynski, that was a silly answer, how can i be "nosey" about my parents? what a stupid childish response, if you have nothing constructive to offer me in my search then please do not respond,

regards dominic

No need to be unpleasant, dominic. Maybe you don't like the point that lynnski is making but she is being good humoured about it and goes on to wish you luck.

I disagree Pat I though Lynski's reply was a bit insensitive. As someone who has gone through abandonement, you will use any media to find lost parents and siblings , and it can be a desperate need

Good luck Dominic I have been down your road , so don't give up

I disagree Pat I though Lynski's reply was a bit insensitive. As someone who has gone through abandonement, you will use any media to find lost parents and siblings , and it can be a desperate need

Thanks maggs well said but better in pvt just in case!

Dont give up Dom!!

I missed the bit about Dominic saying that he was abandoned. Still can't see it and expect that Lynnski didn't see it either.

However, as Oz says - some things of a sensitive nature are better discussed in private.

I'm sure anyone that can offer Dominic support or information will be happy to answer his questions.

By an amazing co-incidence, this photograph surfaced on 'Urban Glasgow' the other night. It was taken by 'Kev9' sometime during 1983/4. Apart from the hospital and the Blind Asylum immediately to it's left, everything else has gone. The low building with the cream top storey is now the multi storey car park. To the rear can be seen what is left, if anything, of the Glenfield St. area, it's too difficult to pick out the details on the buildings, the 'chimney stack is there as a ref.

83-84.jpg

Here is a modern view from 'Windows Live Local' I think that part of Glenfield St. still partially exists as a thoroughfare. James Orr St. I would guess to have been where the orange line runs. All of the new buildings are in place and the multi storey can be clearly seen. Sadly, the 'old chimney stack' has gone too :blink:

GetMap-1.jpg

OK, wait a minute here 'Dominic'!! Before you start jumping down peoples throats!! I have re-read your posts, and cannot see anywhwere that you were 'abandoned'. The way I read it was that your neighbours with their 4 daughters had left in a hurry. I didn't realise you were talking about your parents, I'm sorry you thought I was being insensitive, but it was a total misunderstanding. Perhaps a bit less venom next time please??

Excellent work, HH and Rolo.

I love the original photo posted at the start of the thread, so it's really interesting to see what happened to the area.

Perhaps a bit less venom next time please??

You seen venom, I didn't, I seen someone hurt at your insensitive response

You seen venom, I didn't, I seen someone hurt at your insensitive response

I've already said, It wasn't meant to be insensitive. A misunderstanding. Elliesdad77 didn't make it clear, IMHO that it was his parents he was looking for. I would never have said what I did if I'd known that.