Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
rolo tomassi

Cake Nostalgia

JJ mentioned the mighty Empire Biscuit on another thread... a few months back I bought some from Ald* (mighty fine traditional Scottish baking going on there...) and the wean's been hooked ever since.

But of course, not content wi the soft stuff, we've moved on, inevitably, to the Pineapple cake :rolleyes: (three for 70p, bargain!)

I've been well off cakes since the demise of City Bakeries; cakes are meant to be dainty wee morsels, not these humoungous portions of quadruple death-by-chocolate monstrosities that wur cafes serve up and then charge you about £5 to leave half of it....

My fave ever City Bakeries cake was a wee chocolate cup with sponge in the bottom, then a layer of kinda fruit-jelly and a quarter of a pear on top. Never knew what it was cried.

Then there was one that was shaped like a pineapple cake (i.e. pointy) but it was made of sponge, with red jam coating then coconut. What was that called, anyone?

The cake I miss most though, is the wee rhubarb tart that's made in the shape of a peh. Do you know the cake I mean? Can you still get it anywhere...slaver.... :lol:

And Battenberg cake; why?

In the dim & distant past, in Glasgow we used to get office girl ( for the PC please read person) to go to local shop to buy snowballs?????( soft gooey cream covered by shell of chocolate & coconut) for smoko.

One of the office girls used to put the said Snowball on your desk & then try to flatten it with her fist before it could be grabbed away. If you geabbed it too hard you got goo all over fingers if too slow all over desk. She thought it was hilarious. She was avet bright girl filling in year between school "highers"??? & being old enough to go to Uni.

The other one I remember, no idea of name, was a round biscuit base with a dod of jam on it cobered with marshmallow & chocolate roughly 1/2 ball shaped

Tunnocks Snowball

2416662581_dea81c7d05.jpg

Yeah Dex thats the bugger !Ta! About 2"- 3" diameter pre-squashing

JJ mentioned the mighty Empire Biscuit on another thread... a few months back I bought some from Ald* (mighty fine traditional Scottish baking going on there...) and the wean's been hooked ever since.

But of course, not content wi the soft stuff, we've moved on, inevitably, to the Pineapple cake :rolleyes: (three for 70p, bargain!)

I've been well off cakes since the demise of City Bakeries; cakes are meant to be dainty wee morsels, not these humoungous portions of quadruple death-by-chocolate monstrosities that wur cafes serve up and then charge you about £5 to leave half of it....

My fave ever City Bakeries cake was a wee chocolate cup with sponge in the bottom, then a layer of kinda fruit-jelly and a quarter of a pear on top. Never knew what it was cried.

Then there was one that was shaped like a pineapple cake (i.e. pointy) but it was made of sponge, with red jam coating then coconut. What was that called, anyone?

The cake I miss most though, is the wee rhubarb tart that's made in the shape of a peh. Do you know the cake I mean? Can you still get it anywhere...slaver.... :lol:

And Battenberg cake; why?

Mortons still dae them methinks.

Aulds ra bakers dae sumthin similur tae

I'm hungry now. Want rhubarb tarts now! Or apple turnovers. Or some of the caramel and chocolate shortbread stuff. It's lucky that it's too late and dark and cold to go out in search of some, really. :rolleyes:

Gingerbread. Lemon sponge. Strawberry tarts. Why did I click on the damned thread?

The other one I remember, no idea of name, was a round biscuit base with a dod of jam on it cobered with marshmallow & chocolate roughly 1/2 ball shaped

That sounds a lot like a Tunnocks teacake, Ozzy. Shall we FedEx over a Tunnocks shipment? :lol:

Bizarrely, in the middle of the night last night I remembered the pointy red sponge cake covered in coconut was called an Eiffel Tower..... :rolleyes:

No Mortons or Aulds around these here parts, Nota, we only have upthemselves patisseries where cakes have no name. BAH!

Hammy, do you mean Millionaires Shortbread? So very very Scottish! The stuff that hurts yer teeth? :lol: eeek! Best strawberry tarts are from Greggs, unfortunately only between June and August, boo!

Then of course there's the Fly Cemetery.....

Squashed fly bikkies*????

*Cookies P :rolleyes:

I saw some Jaffa cakes the other day at the store.

I always forget that biscuits are cookies. Coconut biscuits seemed a bit strange for a moment.

Thanks, Ozneil.

I saw some Jaffa cakes the other day at the store.

Back in November I spotted a rather strange version of the Jaffa Cake on sale in the Ald* near my w*rk. It was actually a yard of Jaffa cakes. Big humoungous package that measured about........a yard. What's that in metric? Who cares.

Anyways, bought it for the Tomassi Jaffa Cake fiend ( Mr) and smuggled it home, hid it in wardrobe till Dec 25th.

Suffice to say by Dec 26th, he'd eaten every last one.

Just as well really. I'm boycotting anything related to Jaffa. Did consider asking him to set fire to them, if I'm honest.

But a bout of festive goodwill and lack of politics for a day, no bad thang....

:rolleyes::lol: :lol:

Jaffas here are round lollies with a hard shell. Ideal for rolling down wooden aisles & steps during frightening/ romantic parts of a movie on Saturday arvos. Some times couldn't hear speech for bouncing jaffas. Usherettes racing up & down trying to catch perpetrators with all the kids yelling & yahooing.

Back in November I spotted a rather strange version of the Jaffa Cake on sale in the Ald* near my w*rk. It was actually a yard of Jaffa cakes. Big humoungous package that measured about........a yard. What's that in metric? Who cares.

Anyways, bought it for the Tomassi Jaffa Cake fiend ( Mr) and smuggled it home, hid it in wardrobe till Dec 25th.

Suffice to say by Dec 26th, he'd eaten every last one.

Just as well really. I'm boycotting anything related to Jaffa. Did consider asking him to set fire to them, if I'm honest.

But a bout of festive goodwill and lack of politics for a day, no bad thang....

:rolleyes::lol: :lol:

Heerz ra link

http://www.aulds.co.uk/shopframes.html

Thurz wan in Kelvin Bridge

I only mentioned Jaffa cakes because Heidie mentioned he liked them. Why are they bad?

I'm guessing because of Israel, although I suppose the exact provenance of the oranges used might be something we might want to know.

Ozneil, the Australian "lolly" thing always confuses me. Would those ones be what we would call "gobstoppers", lovely delicate turn of phrase that it is? :rolleyes:

Ozneil, the Australian "lolly" thing always confuses me. Would those ones be what we would call "gobstoppers", lovely delicate turn of phrase that it is? :rolleyes:

Sorry my fault I slip into Strine from time to time. Lollies are oz for sweeties, Jaffas are about the size of imperial???? mints but orange colour.

sim Lolly water is slang for sweetened soft drinks such as Fanta.

But of course, not content wi the soft stuff, we've moved on, inevitably, to the Pineapple cake ;) (three for 70p, bargain!)

I just called it a chocolate cup, and it was my fave as well as a wean. Still love Empire Biscuits (called German biscuits in Ireland). do nice ones in Macdonalds (?) - teh wee cafe in the Savoy Centre next to the pet shop.

Talking of small cakes - anyone remember the Fairy Dell? Think it was in Byres Road? They were really small and dainty.

That sounds a lot like a Tunnocks teacake, Ozzy. Shall we FedEx over a Tunnocks shipment? :lol:

Bizarrely, in the middle of the night last night I remembered the pointy red sponge cake covered in coconut was called an Eiffel Tower..... :huh:

No Mortons or Aulds around these here parts, Nota, we only have upthemselves patisseries where cakes have no name. BAH!

Hammy, do you mean Millionaires Shortbread? So very very Scottish! The stuff that hurts yer teeth? :lol: eeek! Best strawberry tarts are from Greggs, unfortunately only between June and August, boo!

I used to take boxes of Tunnock's tea cakes when I visited my sister in Canada but she can buy them there now.

I think that Gregg's do the best pineapple cakes as well.

The Grosvenor Cafe used to do millionaire's shortbread melted onto ice cream - doubled the teeth agony.

I love lots of the old cakes and just a wee bit of Battenberg can be very satisfying but I tasted some scrumptious cake in Sonny & Vito's the other day - cranberry and coconut. Now that could catch on!

I haven't seen any Perkins about for a while - think they are biscuits. ;)

I only mentioned Jaffa cakes because Heidie mentioned he liked them. Why are they bad?

Not in themselves, Peony, they're mighty! Wee spongey cakes with an orange marmalady topping then a chocolate covering. Yum!

But most products labelled Jaffa are the produce of Israel. So if one's of a mind to boycott.... :lol:

There's an urban myth here in Scotland that Jaffa cakes count towards your five a day (5 portions of fruit and veg) although of course the main ingredient of em is saturated fat and sugar! LOL!

But a little of what you fancy.......

;):huh::lol:

Would that have been a Tunnocks Teacake?

I thought they only did the one with the squishy, sickly ceam filling and definitely no jam.

I used to have Jacob's marshmallows which were like Tunnocks but they had the spongey type filling and were wrapped in silver and red foil.

Confession time now ... does anyone have their own way of eating a Tunnock's teacake?

I like to carefully crack the chocolate covering and peel it off in sections without disturbing the filling, eating the chocolate parts as I go along. Then it's scooping up all the filling with my tongue so the only part that's left is the base which is eaten last of all. But that's just between you and me!

My mum used to bribe me with Jaffa Cakes.

I hated getting my toenails cut as a child because I had tickly feet and also, a couple of times mum had cut into the quick (unintentionally of course), which hurt, a lot.

Soooo, she would bribe me by saying I would get a jaffa cake if I allowed her to trim my toenails.

Anyyywayyyy......one day, as she sat me on her knee to do the toenails, I jumped off, ran over to the sideboard and stuffed 2 Jaffa Cakes into my mouth in a oner and turned round and said...'your no touchin ma toes and I've had my Jaffas anyway', in a muffled sort of way.

I got a smack ;)

Sorry my fault I slip into Strine from time to time. Lollies are oz for sweeties, Jaffas are about the size of imperial???? mints but orange colour.

sim Lolly water is slang for sweetened soft drinks such as Fanta.

Reminds me of sugarolly water, what we used to cry a mad concoction of a stick of licorice dunked in water till it turned either red or black, depending on the licorice.

Once it turned a mighty hue, you drank it down then bounced off walls for three days.

Bit like Fanta really, eh parents? :huh:

They never had a name for ADHD them days, eh? ;)

Confession time now ... does anyone have their own way of eating a Tunnock's teacake?

I like to carefully crack the chocolate covering and peel it off in sections without disturbing the filling, eating the chocolate parts as I go along. Then it's scooping up all the filling with my tongue so the only part that's left is the base which is eaten last of all. But that's just between you and me!

That was MY way! U haZ stoLeN it! U wil here fRom mai LawYerZ!

(Sorry, don't know what come over me there, really) ;)

Ta for the excuse. ;) When my keyboard starting typing that, I thought that the return to childhood and cakes had turned me into a lolcat, but I HAD been eating Jammie Dodgers, so blame the sugar. :huh:

See about "Empire biscuits", the ones that have been German biscuits and Belgian biscuits whenever wars and politics require a name change, shouldn't they be Commonwealth biccies by now? Or "Let's admit it, the game's a bogey" biscuits?

Ta for the excuse. ;) When my keyboard starting typing that, I thought that the return to childhood and cakes had turned me into a lolcat, but I HAD been eating Jammie Dodgers, so blame the sugar. :)

See about "Empire biscuits", the ones that have been German biscuits and Belgian biscuits whenever wars and politics require a name change, shouldn't they be Commonwealth biccies by now? Or "Let's admit it, the game's a bogey" biscuits?

:blink:

Hamsterbert, they will be 'games a bogey' biscuits for ever more in this house.

:blink:

Hamsterbert, they will be 'games a bogey' biscuits for ever more in this house.

:) Haha, just when I am thinking "huh, same blooming age as Barack Obama and he gets to run a scarily big country and I achieve nothing ... sob sob", and now I HAVE made my mark upon the world.

Well, upon ONE biscuit. In ONE house. In ONE city. Still, it's a start, eh? ;) Today it might be only one biscuit. Morgen, die ganze Welt!

As for the nostalgia, what about the lemon sticky biscuits, the name of which escapes me? They *might* have been called "Lemon Puffs".

Custard slices, whatever their real name was, were fun as a wean too. Not an everyday thing, but grand potential for a gooey mess. And those slices of iced gingerbread. Lovely stodgy stuff!

I expect all of the nostalgia cakes still exist and it's just that nobody eats them any more. Well, somebody does ..... sod it, *I* know what I mean. Probably people with weans are more in touch with cakey and biscuity things, even if only to say "no, it is not good for you". :)

Hey, I wonder if there's money to be made in opening a bakery deliberately targetted at the nostalgia-cake market. Profit from profiteroles, oh yeah!