Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
rolo tomassi

Department Store Nostalgia

Does Gordon Brothers still exist in Ingram???? street?

Clyde Valley Model dockyary in Argylle Arcade.... wished I had a son then!]

]

Does Gordon Brothers still exist in Ingram???? street?

Clyde Valley Model dockyary in Argylle Arcade.... wished I had a son then!]

]

Nope on both counts, Ozzy :lol:

Ingram St has become pretendy 5th Avenue these days; all Ralph Lauren, Emporio Armani, Diesel, Mulberry, Cruise and Agent Provocateur. £800 handbags, £250 perrsa jeans, £100 t-shirts, £60 perras pants; total nonsense. Haven for wannabe gangsters, designer neds and members of the legal profession.... :blink:

Argyle Arcade is now all jewellers shops. Sole exception I can think of is the mighty Sloans Bar.

If anyone knows where Clyde Model Dockyard is now, gies a shout here?

Guest westtender

If anyone knows where Clyde Model Dockyard is now, gies a shout here?

On "Kelvin Street" in the transport museum, catch it while you can

Hi,

I've been away from Glasgow for a few years now and was reminiscing and recalled being dragged around a department store as a wee boy, but I can't for the life of me remember which one. The image I recall most is the staircase. I think the store had two entrances one on Argyle St and the other on ??? with each floor being L shaped. Opposite the Argyle St entrance was the staircase, it was a wide curved staircase probably semi circular set into the wall (not a spiral staircase). The hand rail wasn't a grand wooden one like Frasers but a 70's "Modern" plastic coated steel handrail. I initially thought of Lewis's but I'm sure it wasn't and tried to search the web and was reminded of Arnotts which I had forgotten about. From the thread of this forum I'm sure someone will know which store I'm on about and hope someone can put me out of my misery.

JRM3

Hi,

I've been away from Glasgow for a few years now and was reminiscing and recalled being dragged around a department store as a wee boy, but I can't for the life of me remember which one. The image I recall most is the staircase. I think the store had two entrances one on Argyle St and the other on ??? with each floor being L shaped. Opposite the Argyle St entrance was the staircase, it was a wide curved staircase probably semi circular set into the wall (not a spiral staircase). The hand rail wasn't a grand wooden one like Frasers but a 70's "Modern" plastic coated steel handrail. I initially thought of Lewis's but I'm sure it wasn't and tried to search the web and was reminded of Arnotts which I had forgotten about. From the thread of this forum I'm sure someone will know which store I'm on about and hope someone can put me out of my misery.

JRM3

Sounds like Debenhams

It may akshullae huv been Lewis's before it closed it wiz a "done up" and modernised sumwhat wae new escalators and an atrium thingy

didn't Lewis's have a grand stairwell done in grey marble, wide and roomy too. I remember as a wee lass queing up that big winding stair to see Santa :)

Welcome JRM3. Hope for many more posts from you the natives here, in PWE, are mostly friendly.

Are you another ex-pat, if so your country needsyou! or living in another part of the best SMALL country in world ?? (( so they tell me)

Hi,

JRM3

Hello!

I don't remember Arnotts on Argyle having a big staircase (did it anyone?) but it did have two entrances, one on Argyle and one on Jamaica St, as did the Woolworths branch that followed it...

Anyone remember Lewis's/now Debenhams having more than one entrance before the St Enoch Centre got joined up at the back of it?

Could it have been Goldbergs?

I seem to remember Lewis had an entry in Argyle street & another entrance on a cross street to the east. No idea of street name.

BTW when digging out basement to Lewises they found 2 stoneage canoes buried in the sand, GOK why I know that :)

Sumbuddy menshint Bremners in an earlier post. Ah remembut it well, coz mah aunty Jean hud an accoont therr an, wi' us bein slightly oan the poor side, she wid help oot by takin me 'n' mah brither therr wanst a yeer tae kit us oot.

Smashin wumman she wiz, an' even took us intae ra caffyteerya fur a coke an' an Empire Biskit.

Ah kin mind the boay whit ran the lift. He widnae let weans in withoot an adult accompanyin thum. Ratbag.

Ah kin mind the boay whit ran the lift. He widnae let weans in withoot an adult accompanyin thum. Ratbag.

Aye, ah always felt a bit guilty aboot that, son, bit rules is rules.

Ah knew it wiz yoo, but didnae want tae say. Ah hope yer baws turn skwerr an' fester et the coarnurs.

We hope that's a bit of banter atween friends otherwise there'll be a big stushie a la Prince Harry... :rolleyes:

When I was ummmm about 9 or so, my Gran would take me (BIG treat! lol) on the train from Bearsden into town..We always went to the restaurant in MacDonalds for lunch. I ALWAYS had fish n' chips..There was a lovely waitress there who knew Gran well...."Aaaaah helloooo Mrs Brown..I'll get you a nice table" Hahahaha..When I think back to it, Gran always had her hat on and (VERY passe) fox fur round her neck!..This thread has taken me back what seems ...Well it is...AGES! lol. :blink:

Does anyone remember Danny Browns on George square on the other side opposite Queens St station? ....They used to do a great high tea there. ;)

Danny Browns was my favourite restaurant In Glasgow but wasn't it in St Vincent Street. It has a smashing Brasserie in basement.

Gosh! - I don't know Oz....It may well have moved there...It was certainly where I said it was when I was a boy...We used to go there for high tea on the way back from Murrayfield before getting the train to go back to school. It was a great place!... :blink:

Does St Vincent Street run West off the South Side of George Square. Locations of places in Glasgow are becoming somewhat hazy now , been umpteen years..

Last time I was at Murrayfield I watched the All Blacks thrash Scotland 44-0. It was an exhibition of brilliant rugby.

Yes, it does Oz...Though I think the south side of the square is Cochrane Steet, joining with St Vincent Street, so we may well be talking about the same spot! - Mrs Rhumpole and I were in Glasgow about a year ago and I looked for Danny Brown's in the location I thought it was in, but it wasn't there :blink: ...If it's gone it's a great pity.

Yeah someone on here had said it had gone a while back.

I found the staff there the friendliest of any restaurant. Mind you it helps when the barmaid in the Brasserie was from Brisbane. Food was great too. A decent tuck-in not just a dirty mark in the middle of the plare.

Yeah someone on here had said it had gone a while back. (my time there was late 60s)

I found the staff there the friendliest of any restaurant. Mind you it helps when the barmaid in the Brasserie was from Brisbane. Food was great too. A decent tuck-in not just a dirty mark in the middle of the plate.eat.gif

Yes, it does Oz...Though I think the south side of the square is Cochrane Steet, joining with St Vincent Street, so we may well be talking about the same spot! - Mrs Rhumpole and I were in Glasgow about a year ago and I looked for Danny Brown's in the location I thought it was in, but it wasn't there :( ...If it's gone it's a great pity.

Hello Rhumpy, good to hear from you.

I don't recall Danny Browns myself, but intrigued re its former location. I often walk past where I think it may have been but to be honest can't be sure of the street name of those two blocks on the southside of George Square.

I haven't multimapped this, so could be wrong but I think Cochrane St runs from Montrose St to the east then westwards towards the Square and St Vincent Place/St runs from the corner of Queen St westwards to Charing Cross. Two blocks in between, one is under screens and scaff at present, the other houses the Glasgow Tourist Board and a branch of Greggs the Bakers.

I'll pay more attention to the street signs when I next pass by!