Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Guest westtender

Woolworths

The huge Woolies in Clydebank is being replaced by Wilkinsons. Nod idea what it is like but they are taking on a lot of the Woolies' staff who were laid off.

Me and wean meandered past Woolie's Byres yesterday, spotted notices up in whitewashed window for licencing application for Tesco.

Anyways, she and I are doing a bit of a project in the house just now, having a bit of a clearout. So this a.m. early doors, I say' Time to get up, we have to go find that **** ******"; she says, (still half asleep) "Ok, let's go down to Woolworths"....

I tell you, the wean's been used to W since she was a wee tiny baby in her buggy :P;):( From sandshoes to lametta, from Terry's chocolate oranges to pic n mix, from birthday party invites to packets of pencils...

Bah, bah and thrice bah, the day. Again. ;)

Me and wean meandered past Woolie's Byres yesterday, spotted notices up in whitewashed window for licencing application for Tesco.

Anyways, she and I are doing a bit of a project in the house just now, having a bit of a clearout. So this a.m. early doors, I say' Time to get up, we have to go find that **** ******"; she says, (still half asleep) "Ok, let's go down to Woolworths"....

I tell you, the wean's been used to W since she was a wee tiny baby in her buggy :P;):( From sandshoes to lametta, from Terry's chocolate oranges to pic n mix, from birthday party invites to packets of pencils...

Bah, bah and thrice bah, the day. Again. ;)

Looks as though Wilkinsons might plug the practical gap, if not the emotional one.

Guest westtender

:angry:

A longstanding stalwart of Byres Road, and a reassurance to the mothers of every first year.

My first xmas tree of my very own, and my first set of fairy lights. The annual xmas chocolate & sweeties run. (Ferrerro Rocher, Terry's York Fruits and those 'orange and lemon slices' things, and turkish delight and chocolate gingers and gigantic Toblerones) and Elizabeth Shaw last minute mints for the special folks you managed to forget all about.....

Clock radios that saw me through uni and w*rk. Cheap and cheerful glasses for cheap and cheerful parties. Plastic tubs for my first freezer. Wee brown betty teapots. Wooden spoons and colanders and tottie peelers and egg whisks, those wee vinegar bottles, pepper grinders (that never worked properly)...learning to cook after first leaving home.

Screwdrivers and screenwash, scrubbin brushes, needles & thread, floor cloths, shoe polish, dye for your tshirts and tubs of nails. Picture hooks and clip frames for your posters. Clothes horses. Ironing boards.

Baby bio, and tomato plant seeds.

Tennis balls for the dug.

What a shame. I will miss it sorely.

Modern life is rubbish.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8379028.stm

"This year Poundland, B&M Bargains and 99p Stores ("GET YER LUVVLY JEWELLERY HERE, BOUND TO IMPRESS, NO BETTER WAY TO SAY IT!!") are set to occupy more than 120 former Woolies sites....

...Poundland alone says it has hired more than 250 former Woolworth employees to date, taking advantage of their experience and knowledge of local markets."

Hmph. What a comedown for the Woolies employees.

Still, 99p shops...Ever a boon for the skint & thoughtless; always a box of years out of date originally expensive sweeties to be had at bargain basement price, to present to the love of yer life...

Poor Woolies. Poor Silver Cross. I've tellt ye and I'm tellin ye - modern life IS rubbish.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8379028.stm

"This year Poundland, B&M Bargains and 99p Stores ("GET YER LUVVLY JEWELLERY HERE, BOUND TO IMPRESS, NO BETTER WAY TO SAY IT!!") are set to occupy more than 120 former Woolies sites....

...Poundland alone says it has hired more than 250 former Woolworth employees to date, taking advantage of their experience and knowledge of local markets."

Hmph. What a comedown for the Woolies employees.

Still, 99p shops...Ever a boon for the skint & thoughtless; always a box of years out of date originally expensive sweeties to be had at bargain basement price, to present to the love of yer life...

Poor Woolies. Poor Silver Cross. I've tellt ye and I'm tellin ye - modern life IS rubbish.

I'm sure those people out of work were pretty happy to find employment and clearly these shops are doing well so they must appeal to some. Like you say they are a boon to people who don't have a lot of cash to spare.

I've gone into Poundland in Clydebank often to buy cleaning products - much cheaper than any supermarket for named brands. I don't think that is 'thoughtless'.

Good reports about Wilkinson's in Clydebank so far. I've not managed to have a look but know a couple of people who have been employed there and they are impressed by conditions and products.

The store seems to sell the same type of things that Woollies did plus a bit more!!!

They have employed a lot of ex-Woolworth's staff.

It is very sad about Woolworth's and the replacements are going to vary in their attraction - Maggs gave a pretty dire report of the new business down in Partick, however, thankfully the stores do not appear to be lying empty. Surely that is a good thing?

I heard a story this morning from a very local resident about the T*sco planned for the Byres Rd site.

Apparently there are electrical wiring issues at the empty premises and T*sco have been told by Scottish Power that they're in a queue, meaning it could be a coupla months before this lot gets fixed. So looks like shop will remain empty for a month or two yet.

Iceland, M&S and Waitrose'll be pritty pleased about that, I'd imagine. :blink:

Guest thomas

Last I heard it was to open in March 2010

As for the wiring - when I worked there nearly 30 years ago, the electrics were dodgy - you couldn't use the lift at the back of the shop at certain periods during the day and even then you did so at your peril. It was a service lift only - small inside - as it allowed goods to be loaded via the back lane.

There was a 'banding machine' for tying up cardboard and you had to be careful using that - the lights used to dim and flicker when in use - and the manager was a complete ******* who didn't give a brass monkeys about Health and Safety.

I would still have Woolworths back any day, preferably F.W. Woolworths and not the imitation job that died an undignified death....

Last I heard it was to open in March 2010

As for the wiring - when I worked there nearly 30 years ago, the electrics were dodgy - you couldn't use the lift at the back of the shop at certain periods during the day and even then you did so at your peril. It was a service lift only - small inside - as it allowed goods to be loaded via the back lane.

There was a 'banding machine' for tying up cardboard and you had to be careful using that - the lights used to dim and flicker when in use - and the manager was a complete ******* who didn't give a brass monkeys about Health and Safety.

I would still have Woolworths back any day, preferably F.W. Woolworths and not the imitation job that died an undignified death....

I was along at Byres Road on Friday and needed some Woolworthy type things. This time of year was also good for their sale. Tesco will never be so tempting and is not needed. I don't think that the Council should have agreed to a supermarket on this site.

Still don't know why I've not to mention the Great George Street Car Park - but I have a feeling that once the supermarket opens that there will be even less chance of finding a space there.

A new shop on that site should have been in line with what was there before because that's what is missing and needed. Not another supermarket - as has been pointed out - we have Iceland, the Tesco at the bottom of Byres Road, along with Farmfoods. We also have some great delis, greengrocers and, of course, the wonder that is Waitrose.

Thanks for the photograph, HH, although, it makes me sad. At least there is some work for the construction guys.

Glad someone got a shot of that HH, I went past it with no camera and it was gone a week later. :lol: