Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Guest westtender

Woolworths

It's a major mistake to think of Byres Road as the throbbing heart of the West End. It has some little gems but mainly it is a thoroughfare.

That's true ! Was there ever any plans to pedestrianise Byres Road or part?

Given that it would seem to my untrained Highways planning eyes well nigh impossible !

Given that it would seem to my untrained Highways planning eyes well nigh impossible !

Don't think that would work, Iona. Not that I'm an expert Highway Planner either. :rolleyes:

Guest money

I've not heard that suggestion but there was a plot some years ago to make Byres Rd one way northbound and the Kelvinway one way southbound.

That's great. I missed Bargain Books. Books and bargains are a great combination.

Is it in the sam spot?

Will you stop bringing up my acne problem!

Will you stop bringing up my acne problem!

:rolleyes: Think they've got books on skincare.

Speaking of what will replace Woolies?

Absolutely nuthin, say it again :( SOOOO miss Woolies.

Every year the wean makes wee presents for the family at Easter. Involving various combinations of wee tiny pom-pom chickens, wee tiny baskets, and wee tiny chocolate eggs. All wrapped in yellow and green crepe paper and yellow and green ribbons.

Trek down Byres yesterday late doors to amass said items. Forgot Woolies was gone.... :rolleyes: Passing S*perdr*g, note amusing display of wee tiny pom-pom chickens in window.

RT; Where did you get those wee chickens?

Manager; Just down the road at Cl*nt*ns.

At Cl*nt*ns,

RT; Hello, do you have any wee tiny pom-pom chickens left?

Assistant; <rakes under counter> Sorry, we only have these left.

RT <surveying deeply sad chicken remnants> What happened to them?

Assistant; A wee boy pulled all their heads off when his mother wasn't looking.

RT; Did you not say anything?

Assistant; No, I was too scared to. Anyway look, we have this pom-pom chicken kit, would you like that? It has two bunnies as well. I'll give you it half-price.

RT; OK, does it include the glue?

Assistant; No.

RT; Do you have any tiny wee baskets?

Assistant; No.

RT; Yellow and green crepe paper and ribbons?

Assistant; Sorry, no. Would you like some musical socks that sing Happy Easter Stepgrand-dad in the style of Cole Porter?....

Head off with chicken kit to look for adhesive/tiny wee baskets/crepe paper/ribbons. Now I'm most likely on CCTV as weird desperate WestEnder (it's 5.50pm!) offering cash for glue..... :)

Glue finally located at local mini-market. No tiny wee baskets, no crepe paper/ribbons anywhere down Byres. I mean, is that too much to ask? :lol:

Arrive at family lunch today with skelly-eyed mutant-lookin' chickens and bunnies

(bad glue :unsure: ) packed in eggbox from fridge.

SOOOOOOO miss Woolies.

Know where you're coming from RT - been where you are!!

Did you see the news item where the old manager of a Woolies (in Norwich - I think?) kept the original store/employees/stock and renamed in Wellworth's! Good luck to her. She realised that people still wanted the shop/contents and jumped in on the bandwagon before the shop just became a memory! Good on her !

Guest westtender

Know where you're coming from RT - been where you are!!

Did you see the news item where the old manager of a Woolies (in Norwich - I think?) kept the original store/employees/stock and renamed in Wellworth's! Good luck to her. She realised that people still wanted the shop/contents and jumped in on the bandwagon before the shop just became a memory! Good on her !

Yep, I remember that story. Good for her - I hope it's going well.

I was speaking to a wee wummin in the Byres Road branch shortly before it closed, (mentioned earlier in this thread) and she had worked in that shop 34 years - 34!!!! years! :angry: - and she was adamant that the Byres Road branch had always been profitable and would stay profitable if it could be saved. I believe her.

Personally, I missed it for the Easter eggs this year, and I also need a new toaster and I want a toastie maker. And a dishbrush. And some seeds. And a bag of tealights. And a big "Tub O Nails". And a look at the JML wonders. And I want to get them from Woolies, I don't want them from anywhere else.

Bah.

Personally, I missed it for the Easter eggs this year, and I also need a new toaster and I want a toastie maker. And a dishbrush. And some seeds. And a bag of tealights. And a big "Tub O Nails". And a look at the JML wonders. And I want to get them from Woolies, I don't want them from anywhere else.

Bah.

Hmmm, Woolworth's Seperation Anxiety Disorder..... I'll get that written up for the journal & invent a cure for it ! :angry:

Guest westtender

Hmmm, Woolworth's Seperation Anxiety Disorder..... I'll get that written up for the journal & invent a cure for it ! :angry:

Cure's easy. Gie us back wir Woolworths!

This very morning, decide that since the Tomassi household keep on dropping toiletries down the stank while enjoying newly-installed shower, should probably invest in one of thae hangy-type affairs for the wa'. I'll away down Woolies, I thought, obviously still asleep...

Bah, Bah and Thrice Bah 5 mins later, remembering AGAIN, it ain't there... :lol:

Where else do you BUY these kinda thangs? Do you have to get in the car and travel 5 miles to nearest ' Retail Park'?... Or visit 'Bathroom Designer-Type' outlets in the WE where even a washer costs £500 + vat?

Go on internet. Search for where I might find 'hangy type thing for shower' in WE? Oh dear. Google clearly doesn't get my meaning..... :lol:

I SOOOOOO miss Woolies.... :):lol: :lol:

yer looking fer a "shower tidy" problem is full shampoo bottles keep on falling out & landing on yer toe then as you do your imitation of the highland one-step your elbow hits hot tap & kicks it on either "Bloody scalding" or "bloody freezing" either way you are out the shower in a blink of a eye.

Conclusion is a "Shower Tidy" worth a sair tae or scalded/ frozen bum?

Guest westtender

This very morning, decide that since the Tomassi household keep on dropping toiletries down the stank while enjoying newly-installed shower, should probably invest in one of thae hangy-type affairs for the wa'. I'll away down Woolies, I thought, obviously still asleep...

Bah, Bah and Thrice Bah 5 mins later, remembering AGAIN, it ain't there... :lol:

Where else do you BUY these kinda thangs? Do you have to get in the car and travel 5 miles to nearest ' Retail Park'?... Or visit 'Bathroom Designer-Type' outlets in the WE where even a washer costs £500 + vat?

Go on internet. Search for where I might find 'hangy type thing for shower' in WE? Oh dear. Google clearly doesn't get my meaning..... :lol:

I SOOOOOO miss Woolies.... :):lol: :lol:

So do I, not half.

For your bathrooom requisites & things to fall on your head / drop on your feet, you need to find a good hardware store. Or mibbe try one of the bigger pound shops - and god knows, there's plenty of them to choose from these days...

...Or there's the Hyacinth Bucket Shop of Delights, aka House of Bath!! :lol:

http://www.houseofbath.co.uk/shop/nav/show...LpgUid=11175960

Daidlies and dabbities & things ye never knew ye needed, by the bucketload...

Terrible Naice

...Or there's the Hyacinth Bucket Shop of Delights, aka House of Bath!! :)

http://www.houseofbath.co.uk/shop/nav/show...LpgUid=11175960

Daidlies and dabbities & things ye never knew ye needed, by the bucketload...

Terrible Naice

OOH! Forget the 'Shower-Tidy', I'm having THESE;

http://www.houseofbath.co.uk/shop/product/...#colour:1,size:

Thon website reminds me of those 'supplements' you used to get in the Sundays. Stuff You Never Knew You Needed.....Like slippers with handy lights in the toe so's you don't trip up on your thrice-nightly trips to the loo....fake garden rocks with a wee secret compartment for your spare house keys.....and of course the Family Slipper...

:lol: Who BUYS that stuff? :lol:

Guest westtender

Thon website reminds me of those 'supplements' you used to get in the Sundays. Stuff You Never Knew You Needed.....Like slippers with handy lights in the toe so's you don't trip up on your thrice-nightly trips to the loo....fake garden rocks with a wee secret compartment for your spare house keys.....and of course the Family Slipper...

:( Who BUYS that stuff? :lol:

All very well, but have ye found your shower tidy / draps soapy things on yer napper thing yet?

And don't forget your voluptuous scintillating linjerry for after your shower as well!

http://www.houseofbath.co.uk/shop/product/...#colour:0,size:

and the wonder that emerges as the latest in the lovely "Doreen " line - wireless!:

http://www.houseofbath.co.uk/shop/product/...r:2285,size:34C

:D

Guest thomas

The Scotstoun Emporium has everything.

A slight exaggeration but nonetheless it is indeed an Aladdin's cave of wonder.

:) Who BUYS that stuff? ;)

billy connoly made a career oot ah that joke :lol:

Thanks to all, actually found exactly what I needed, a wee wrought iron basketty thing at Ikea the other day. It cost a fiver. The petrol over there probably cost about the same...... :angry:

Anyways, heard a wee rumour lately that the Woolie's premises are being looked at for a Tesco Metro store. Any truth in that?

The new Waitrose is being punted big-style, posters everywhere, to open on Nov 19th apparently.

Can Byres handle 4 major supermarket chains or is the competition going to drive prices down locally do you think?

Guest westtender

:angry:

Awwwwww, WHIT????

Tesco, two faced "profits above every conceivable other thing", on Byres Road????

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_...icle4231173.ece

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2008/feb/06/l...h.animalwelfare

http://www.tescopoly.org/index.php?option=...&Itemid=192

"Marks & Spencer, with the highest overall score in the 2007-08 survey, are the current holders of the "Compassionate Supermarket of the Year" title. Tesco finished in 5th place (out of 8) in the 2007-08 survey, lagging behind M&S, Waitrose, the Co-op and Sainsbury’s on many key welfare issues. Tesco continue to source eggs from hens that spend their life crammed in barren battery cages (M&S, Waitrose and the Co-op have already ended the sale of shell eggs from caged hens and Sainsbury’s committing to do so by 2010). Over 80% of chicken meat sold by Tesco is from intensively reared fast-growing breeds that are prone to painful lameness and heart problems. Chickens sourced by Tesco are kept in overcrowded conditions at stocking densities that exceed the Government's guidelines. Many of the pigs reared for Tesco are not provided with straw or other manipulable material, in breach of EU legislation."

Do we want these nasty greedy gets on Byres Road?

Guest thomas

No Christmas shopping at Woolies this year - how strange!

Our late lamented Woolworths would have been 100 years old today (5th Nov) if you look online at the imposters who bought the brand name www.woolworths.co.uk you will note that they are celebrating 100 years by giving away a free bag of pic 'n' mix. Wow!

On a happier note - Alworths - is opening in Oxfordshire using the Woolworths concept as the guy worked for Woolies and they are opening on an old Woolies site. Such a shame that no one had the gumption to do the same with the Byres Road branch....

I was in the site of the old Woolies in Dumbarton Rd Partick today. It is now a market, with different businesses trading, I know it's early days, but I won't be hurrying back. Same old tat you can get in any of the of the cheap shops in Partick.