Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Guest westtender

Woolworths

Guest westtender

:lol:

A longstanding stalwart of Byres Road, and a reassurance to the mothers of every first year.

My first xmas tree of my very own, and my first set of fairy lights. The annual xmas chocolate & sweeties run. (Ferrerro Rocher, Terry's York Fruits and those 'orange and lemon slices' things, and turkish delight and chocolate gingers and gigantic Toblerones) and Elizabeth Shaw last minute mints for the special folks you managed to forget all about.....

Clock radios that saw me through uni and w*rk. Cheap and cheerful glasses for cheap and cheerful parties. Plastic tubs for my first freezer. Wee brown betty teapots. Wooden spoons and colanders and tottie peelers and egg whisks, those wee vinegar bottles, pepper grinders (that never worked properly)...learning to cook after first leaving home.

Screwdrivers and screenwash, scrubbin brushes, needles & thread, floor cloths, shoe polish, dye for your tshirts and tubs of nails. Picture hooks and clip frames for your posters. Clothes horses. Ironing boards.

Baby bio, and tomato plant seeds.

Tennis balls for the dug.

What a shame. I will miss it sorely.

Modern life is rubbish.

A longstanding stalwart of Byres Road, and a reassurance to the mothers of every first year.

My first xmas tree of my very own, and my first set of fairy lights. The annual xmas chocolate & sweeties run. (Ferrerro Rocher, Terry's York Fruits and those 'orange and lemon slices' things, and turkish delight and chocolate gingers and gigantic Toblerones) and Elizabeth Shaw last minute mints for the special folks you managed to forget all about.....

Clock radios that saw me through uni and w*rk. Cheap and cheerful glasses for cheap and cheerful parties. Plastic tubs for my first freezer. Wee brown betty teapots. Wooden spoons and colanders and tottie peelers and egg whisks, those wee vinegar bottles, pepper grinders (that never worked properly)...learning to cook after first leaving home.

Screwdrivers and screenwash, scrubbin brushes, needles & thread, floor cloths, shoe polish, dye for your tshirts and tubs of nails. Picture hooks and clip frames for your posters. Clothes horses. Ironing boards.

Modern life is rubbish.

It is a shame. We loved to go to Woolies in Clydebank when we were weans - that's where we bought our Mammies 'Evening in Paris' perfume and spend our pocket money on sweets, pencil sharpners, notebooks and comics. Will miss the one on Byres Road too - especially for the plants and bargains in children's clothes.

Not too bothered about MFI.

Guest tomtscotland

They lost their market to the supermarkets etc - if they had been a little more "TJ Hughes" then maybe could have survived.

As well as a big dip in sales they've had cash flow problems - due to them having to pay cash to suppliers after >>withdrawal of credit insurance<<

Me 'n Keef had a summer job in Woollies at Sidmouth - cleaning the floor after closing = took us an hour under the watchfull eye of the manager - when we finished he paid in cash & Pick N Mix. A bloody great big bag too !

It will be an alien high street all over the country if Woollies does bite the dust.

Why are they in trouble ? All the big supermarkets again - You can get the lot in Asda / Tesco superstores.

B)

Modern life is rubbish.

Not forgettin "Top of the Pops" rekurds, MFP (music fur pleasure) rekurds, nunnerz of teuchter tunes, irish tunes, et al

Ra wan in Port Glesga hud always old deers lookin efter ra rekurd counter, we used tae go in and get them tae play "god save ra queen"(ra sex pistols wan) when it wiz inra charts, it took a few days fur them tae realise it wasnae a silver jubilee memento :lol:

We called pik n mix - pik n nik as it wiz self service

We wurr booted oot many a time fur firing those Airfix guns ye used tae get wae ra wee grey plastik boollits.

It always hud wan ov them big huge weighin machines wae ra huge fek aff dial it wiz red if a remember

poundstretcher et al just urnae ra same :lol:

Guest westtender

It always hud wan ov them big huge weighin machines wae ra huge fek aff dial it wiz red if a remember

Blimey, so they did - I forgot about them!

Woolies was where my mother took me at the end of every school year for a pair of black canvas 'baseball' boots with rubber toe and heel. They came in a plastic bag with a wire tie, must have cost buttons and lasted all summer. :lol:

Modern life is rubbish.

:lol::( :( :lol:B):lol:

Ach, maybe Theo Pathitis'll save it.

The other day, a typical Woolies shop for me and the wean;

Xmas table cloth, napkins, silver foil platters for NY partay, box of candy canes, jumbo pack of Pombears (for playpiece), a macaroon bar, a bar of tablet, ironing board cover, light bulbs, wrapping paper, tags, some cloths, tea light holders, pyrex dish, lametta, 20 outdoor lights in the shape of snowflakes, some seeds, (made the wean put back the orange/lemon slices) and still got change outta £20.

No way they're gonna shut the Byres branch;it's aye q'd out. :(

Guest westtender

:lol: :lol: :(:lol:B):lol:

Ach, maybe Theo Pathitis'll save it.

The other day, a typical Woolies shop for me and the wean;

Xmas table cloth, napkins, silver foil platters for NY partay, box of candy canes, jumbo pack of Pombears (for playpiece), a macaroon bar, a bar of tablet, ironing board cover, light bulbs, wrapping paper, tags, some cloths, tea light holders, pyrex dish, lametta, 20 outdoor lights in the shape of snowflakes, some seeds, (made the wean put back the orange/lemon slices) and still got change outta £20.

No way they're gonna shut the Byres branch;it's aye q'd out. :(

:(

:P

:(

'lametta'?

?

Poor, poor Woolies.

Woolies was where my mother took me at the end of every school year for a pair of black canvas 'baseball' boots with rubber toe and heel. They came in a plastic bag with a wire tie, must have cost buttons and lasted all summer. :)

Ah remember them, and they plastik sanduls you could werr doonra beach tae, they came in broon, white or rid?

Guest westtender

???

Lametta. I'm fae Glesga and I have never heard that word before in me life. What the heck is it??

I was in today buying xmas music CDs and sweeties, and I was speaking to a disconsolate wee shop assistant wummin who has been in that shop 34 years.

Blimey; 34 years.

Byres Road branch has always turned a profit...as she said, there are several stores that always made a profit and some that never did. The owners should have offloaded the lossmakers a long time ago; then the profit makers might have had a chance.

Byres Road with no Woolies...it's just unthinkable.

:)

Lametta.

It's wee teeny-tiny skinny strips of gold or silver foil. Some folks have seen fit to manufacture it in purple, red, bronze etc but they don't work at all, don't catch the light in the same way.... IMO!

First find your gold/silver lametta. About 79p a pack. Best fun of all decorating your tree is taking great handfuls of the stuff (once you've put everything else on there) and flinging it at said tree from 5 foot away.

So simple, and so utterly brilliant. :)

.... taking great handfuls of the stuff (once you've put everything else on there) and flinging it at said tree from 5 foot away.

So simple, and so utterly brilliant. :)

What if you're cooking dinner at the time and you get all mixed up and you chuck the spaghetti at the tree and you chuck the tinselly stuff* at the wall? :lol:

And was it Woolworth that used to sell bags of chocolate mis-shapes? That was good. :)

* Sorry but "lametta" should really be a mod's scooter or something. :lol:

Poor Woolies has a 50% of everything sale tomorrow, so looks as though they aint hanging about for rescue

I was in Byres Road Woolies today and didn't see any signs about that, Maggs.

Are you talking about the Partick branch?

"Lametta" - know what you mean, Rolo, and have thrown that stuff up for years but didn't know that's what you called it.

Scooter! :) I would have believed that, Hamsterbert.

Yes Pat seen the signs tonight coming home from work starts tomorrow. See if yae go see if you can get me some of that Lametta Rolo's oan aboot :)

Yes Pat seen the signs tonight coming home from work starts tomorrow. See if yae go see if you can get me some of that Lametta Rolo's oan aboot :lol:

It wasn't part of my plans for tomorrow, Maggs, but if I see Lametta anywhere I'll get you some. I'll be showing off saying:"Can I have some Lametta please". For the first time ever. :)

Whit an education yie get oan here.

I've decided this "lametta" is a silly word. :lol:Any word I have only started hearing/seeing in the last few years is suspect.

It needs a new name. I will now call it "vermicelli tinsel". :) But wait, wouldn't "Vermicelli Tinsel" be a (sort of) good pop group name? Mibbe for one of those 1980s New Romantic types.

Guest westtender

So that's lametta. (is it better, is it well, well, well..... :) )

Know the stuff ye mean, but have still never heard the name.

We never had it - it was ropes of thick tinsel for us.

Guest westtender

I've decided this "lametta" is a silly word. :lol:Any word I have only started hearing/seeing in the last few years is suspect.

:) Know what you mean. I get really annoyed when these puff pieces get into the news about this year's crop of new non-words that are getting into the dictionary.

'Synergy'!

I've decided this "lametta" is a silly word. :PAny word I have only started hearing/seeing in the last few years is suspect.

It needs a new name. I will now call it "vermicelli tinsel". :) But wait, wouldn't "Vermicelli Tinsel" be a (sort of) good pop group name? Mibbe for one of those 1980s New Romantic types.

Shit, ahahahahha! Ahahahahahaaaaaaa. snort. Ahahahaaaa. God I've woken the wean now......ahahahahahaaaaa!

Mod's scooter.....ahahahaaaaaaa hahahahhaaaaaaaa ahaaahahahahaaaa!

flipsake, stoap it Hammy, this here's no asposed to be fun... :lol: :lol: :)

Let's hear it for the mighty Lametta. So good almost every nation's got a word furrit...........GET WI THE PROGRAMME YOUSE LOT! :) :) :lol:

Arabic: شَرائِط لامِعَه للزينَه

Chinese (Simplified): 闪光发亮的金属饰物

Chinese (Traditional): 閃光發亮的金屬飾物

Czech: cetka, pozlátko, lameta

Danish: flitterstads

Dutch: kerstboomversiersel

Estonian: kassikuld, kard

Finnish: joulukuusenvälke

French: clinquant

German: das Lametta

Greek: ασημένια βροχή (για χριστουγεννιάτικο δέντρο)

Hungarian: lametta (karácsonyfára); aranylamé (ruhára)

Icelandic: glys, glingur

Indonesian: kertas perak

Italian: lamé, laminato

Japanese: 光る飾り

Korean: (장식용의) 번쩍번쩍 빛나는 금속 조각

Latvian: vizulis; spīgulis

Lithuanian: blizgučiai

Norwegian: glitter

Polish: lameta

Portuguese (Brazil): ouropel

Portuguese (Portugal): ouropel

Romanian: beteală