Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
weekie

Old catch phrases.

Caught Shrek on terrestrial tv yesterday, I'd forgotten how good it is on so many levels...anyhoo, auld catchphrase that made me laff out loud, and still is.....

'You're going the right way for a smacked bottom'....

Well seeing Mike Myers has a Scot for a faither. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I liked your poem, JJ.

I always think that 'strides' sound much cooler than 'breeks'.

:lol:

Caught Shrek on terrestrial tv yesterday, I'd forgotten how good it is on so many levels...anyhoo, auld catchphrase that made me laff out loud, and still is.....

'You're going the right way for a smacked bottom'....

Well seeing Mike Myers has a Scot for a faither. :lol: :lol: :lol:

and that classic 'Haud the phone'

The Poem:-

Excellenty....and see the mention of Arbroath, the wife and i took my Auntie Jessie and a friend of hers named Hester tae Arbroath.....a treasured memory.

tam

oops, almost furgoat.....am telt by a lovely wooman thit lives in NZ that a "bothy" is a structure thit farmers build. When they are oot checking oan the sheep, they sleep in the "bothy".

HH:-

is there no a shop in Glasgow named "The Bothy" ? mibee oan Argyle Street.

Am thinking that the shop is no far fae a Bank of Scotland which was closed.

tam

...am telt by a lovely wooman thit lives in NZ that a "bothy" is a structure thit farmers build. When they are oot checking oan the sheep, they sleep in the "bothy".

That makes sense Tam. Ah aye considered a bothy as ony place ye cood take shelter in the wild, speshly oan mountains. In mair recint times, ah took it as a place wherr peepul wid gether in such areas furra planned swally an' sing-song.

Ah'm no' necessarily shoor the wurd is spessifikly Scots tho', coz ther's a band in Ireland ca'd the Bothy Band. I'll try an' Yoochoob fur thum laytur when ah huv mair time. Right noo ah'm ment tae be w*rkin. :lol:

My Scottish relatives told me it was a temporary shelter for farm workers or shepheards away from the main steading where they stayed for a limited time either smokos or overnight.

My Scottish relatives told me it was a temporary shelter for farm workers or shepheards away from the main steading where they stayed for a limited time either smokos or overnight.

Some of them are permanent and mountain climbers also use them for shelter.

Mountain Days and Bothy Nights - Dave Brown and Ian Mitchell

This can be a useful saying to remember:

If you fly with the crows, you get shot with the crows

Some of them are permanent and mountain climbers also use them for shelter.

Mountain Days and Bothy Nights - Dave Brown and Ian Mitchell

Yeah I put it badly. The bothies were permanent it was the tenants that were transient. We have them too.

Seaman_s_Hut.jpg

Seaman's hut in Snowy Mountains on Mt Kosciusko just over 3,000m above sea level

Here are a few more some old some new.

......ther's a band in Ireland ca'd the Bothy Band. I'll try an' Yoochoob fur thum laytur when ah huv mair time.

Turns oot it took aboot twa seconds tae Yoochoob gur thum. Thurs hunners oan therr. Here's wan fur sterters.

Yeah I put it badly. The bothies were permanent it was the tenants that were transient. We have them too.

Seaman_s_Hut.jpg

Seaman's hut in Snowy Mountains on Mt Kosciusko just over 3,000m above sea level

Here are a few more some old some new.

That is some bothy. I'll bet you don't even get skelfs/skelves :rolleyes: from the woodwoork. Wow!

That is some bothy. I'll bet you don't even get skelfs/skelves :rolleyes: from the woodwoork. Wow!

It's a gorgeous Bothy, Oz. Don't know of any that could compete. Must make enquiries with the hillwalkers.

Sorry about misinterpreting your post. Bit daft of me to think that the bothys were temporary -

to be removed if those sheltering were not behaving themselves? :lol:

That hut was built by an American famikly the Seamens in memory of their son who died near there in 1929after getting lost on a cross country skiing trip.

I have used that one, in summer, its equipped with bunks, blankets, firewood, candles, matches & snow shovels.

If you follow link above it shows a lot of the high country huts varying from cattlemens huts built in the 1800s, huts built by the Snowy Mountains Hydro scheme workers in the mid 20th centuary through to modern huts. They are scattered all over the Snowy Mountains National Park (about the same size as Belgium)

That hut was built by an American famikly the Seamens in memory of their son who died near there in 1929after getting lost on a cross country skiing trip.

I have used that one, in summer, its equipped with bunks, blankets, firewood, candles, matches & snow shovels.

If you follow link above it shows a lot of the high country huts varying from cattlemens huts built in the 1800s, huts built by the Snowy Mountains Hydro scheme workers in the mid 20th centuary through to modern huts. They are scattered all over the Snowy Mountains National Park (about the same size as Belgium)

What a selection - very impressive, Oz. Although, I can't help but feel a wee bit worried about what happened at Dissapointment Spur Hut. (The spelling mistake is not mine). :rolleyes:

What a selection - very impressive, Oz. Although, I can't help but feel a wee bit worried about what happened at Dissapointment Spur Hut. (The spelling mistake is not mine). :lol:

Yeah these poor old time goldminers werent all that hot on spelling. Either that or the photographer is as good at typing as me.

Wind ud blow the dog off its chain

Go & bite yer bum

crissed as a picket

You must be the world's only living brain donor.

If your brains were dynamite they couldnt blow the wax out of your ears.

As happy as a bas tard on Father's Day.

Well I'll go t' th' foot of our stairs!

Jeezo, Glad, we have family in Stockport and Oldham and they say that ALL THE TIME!

WTF does it mean? I've never got it....... so I just smile politely and respond "I'll Bourbon biscuit you..."

We all get on like a house on fire, nevertheless. Flip knows what that means either!

:lol::lol:

one I'm using a lot lately re. my youngest - 'can talk the leg off an iron donkey' :lol:

Gayle, that would translate 'kin talk the hindleg aff a donkey'