Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
HollowHorn

Then & Now

Damn that weather!! The addition of snow in the 'now' would have been brilliant!

Damn that weather!! The addition of snow in the 'now' would have been brilliant!

Tell me about it! I fair scurried up Otago St. to get there, but alas the sun came out again :lol:

Tell me about it! I fair scurried up Otago St. to get there, but alas the sun came out again :lol:

Dunno if its the snow but ra black and white seems tae suit the older picture, mer atmosferik, ur maybe thats jist nostalja

Whit would yer modern day photie look like in B&W, kin ye dae that HH?

Dunno if its the snow but ra black and white seems tae suit the older picture, mer atmosferik, ur maybe thats jist nostalja

Whit would yer modern day photie look like in B&W, kin ye dae that HH?

Great Western Road 1966:

GtWesternRd2.jpg

March 2008:

IMG_5047-1.jpg

Not got the same atmosphere

Ta HH

Aye still somethin missin,but the B&W vershun is betta. It's probably the better cameras nooadays.

Ah huv a lot of old cine filums of ma dads, when you watch them compared tae later VHS stuff, its jist ra same as ra photies, maybe as a sed before it's jist nostalja

Elderslie St. 1955

1955.jpg

1975:

1975.jpg

April 2008:

IMG_5162.jpg

Park Circus Place. 1868:

ParkCircusPl1868.jpg

1958:

1958.jpg

April 2008:

IMG_5213.jpg

Park Circus 1953:

1953.jpg

April 2008:

IMG_5216-1.jpg

Elderslie St. 1955

1955.jpg

Thanks, HH. Great stuff. I just love this 1955 shot.

Here's a no' bad pic of Park Parish Church taken by a fella called 'Jim' on www.glasgowwestend.co.ukwhitetower.jpg

What I don't understand is I was up that way two years ago, and the church was brilliant white. Must have just had a fresh coat of paint.

The old Church of Scotland Trinity College with its distinctive three towers that appears with the church in the photos has been converted into flats. An interesting place to live, and handy for both the west end and city centre. Apparently, it still has a very impressive large stained glass window inside. Mibbes HH could sneak in and get us a picture. :lol:

Great photos, HH - quite a resemblance between father and daughter.

And those sink baths - super idea.

Second only to skiddling. :lol:

My youngest son 1982:

scan0001-11.jpg

His daughter April 2008:

IMG_5287.jpg

Her chin is a wee bit pointier but o how alike they are. Spooky int it when that happens. My youngest grandgirl is the dead spit look wise to my girl, I turn around and look at her and 30 years disappear. btw SHE IS SO BONNY, I don't know why we don't hear abour her more often. Could this be a new thread ? "Grandparents boasting thread ?" I am so crap at photies etc but I could verbalise to my hearts content about mine.

Great photos, HH - quite a resemblance between father and daughter.

And those sink baths - super idea.

Second only to skiddling. :lol:

Pat, what is skiddling ? My wee mum put all the grandweans in the sink when she was watching them, unless they were all there and then she filled the bath and they all went in together (she had the first 5 grandweans within 2 years).

SHE IS SO BONNY, I don't know why we don't hear abour her more often.

I saw her shortly after she was born, this is the second time I've seen her since, she is seven months old now. We have her all week-end to ourselves, life is good. Maaaaaaan, I love her. :lol:

I saw her shortly after she was born, this is the second time I've seen her since, she is seven months old now. We have her all week-end to ourselves, life is good. Maaaaaaan, I love her. :lol:

Lovely stuff, grandparent luv, int it ? What is her name ?

Pat, what is skiddling ? My wee mum put all the grandweans in the sink when she was watching them, unless they were all there and then she filled the bath and they all went in together (she had the first 5 grandweans within 2 years).

Skiddling in our house was letting the children play up at the sink with a basin of water.

Kept them happy for hours and the bonus was nice clean wee hands.

Kristofer. Named after a good friend's grandson :lol:

Whit a unique and lovely name ! Nice that she is called for someone special, too.