Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
HollowHorn

Then & Now

Guest westtender

I think Carol Wilson was where the card shop is now, next to Michael Mhor's opticians. The shop next to the bank is now Oddbins(?)

Hey haw mister ye're no often right....but ye are this time.

Oddbins, the opticians...of course.

Opticians. Byres road has HUNNERS of them!

;)

Guest westtender

Byres Road (entrance to Ashton Lane) Sept 1933

AshtonLane.jpg

:(

....Did I no tell ye I thought there was a Henderson's of some description at the lane entrance??

(Answer: aye ye did)

;)

Acht. Proper shop fronts.

Guest westtender

Previous three posts deleted. Children, this is the 'Then & Now' thread, let's keep it so.

Ferranough.

But I'm right about opticians though. There are loads on Byres Road, out of all proportion surely?

When did we all get so specky malecky?

Old group pics of Glasgow folk, many many pics in VM - nae specs.

As I say, I am one of very few people I know who doesn't need or wear specs.

Guest rearender

Ferranough.

But I'm right about opticians though. There are loads on Byres Road, out of all proportion surely?

Old group pics of Glasgow folk, many many pics in VM - nae lard a*ses either. Modern life is rubbish.

Guest rearender

That is one way of looking at it .......

Another way of looking at it is to recall that, when Britain mobilised in 1939, the army was shocked at the high level of poor health and malnutrition in the recruits. So the fact that they look thin could be down to not getting enough to eat.

Whereas nowadays it's all Greggs takeaways and Blooterburg.

I wonder if it's more to do with the high mark up on specs. Small production costs, big profits.

Ferranough.

Actually I think you could just be on to something, Hercule. There's surely more opticians/estate agents/silly gift shops than there are butchers/bakers/etc on Byres.

I was daft enough, when I first needed a bit of magnification, eye-styleee, to get vain and buy a perra Armani-framed bits of glass that ai only use for reading, for a truly staggering £225. I'm kinda embarrassed admitting that :blink: Shoulda gone to Sp&cs**ers... :lol:

Tho, those wee glasses you get off the peg in department stores and the like for £20 are actually just as effective for short-term use, like attempting to read the Herlad whilst ageing rapidly. Though which of those comes first is a bit of a moot point..... ;)

Being more than akwaintit wae optishuns furra number of years noo, ah huv an insite intae how it wurks.

1) There is a huge markup in frames, espeshullae designer wans, but in a lot of cases ye dae get whit ye payfur

2) Fur lenses themselves ye definately get whit ye pay furr, as a specky maself on okashuns, the diffrence in diffrint manufacturers lenses is kwite obvious, huvin tried oot various wans ah've settlt on Carl Zeiss lenses furra cuppla reasons, they are very expensive, aboot £100+ dearer than the next wan doon ra list, but again the diffrensh is amazin.

3) I've also found the merr tradishunul type optishuns ur better atra service aspek taeand ur ra same price as ra multiples

4) Never buy specs that ur ready in an oor, thur pish

Being more than akwaintit wae optishuns furra number of years noo, ah huv an insite intae how it wurks.

1) There is a huge markup in frames, espeshullae designer wans, but in a lot of cases ye dae get whit ye payfur

2) Fur lenses themselves ye definately get whit ye pay furr, as a specky maself on okashuns, the diffrence in diffrint manufacturers lenses is kwite obvious, huvin tried oot various wans ah've settlt on Carl Zeiss lenses furra cuppla reasons, they are very expensive, aboot £100+ dearer than the next wan doon ra list, but again the diffrensh is amazin.

3) I've also found the merr tradishunul type optishuns ur better atra service aspek taeand ur ra same price as ra multiples

4) Never buy specs that ur ready in an oor, thur pish

More speccy info:

1) You can get a thorough eye test at a reputable optician and take the prescription to a two for one high street place. Best of both worlds.

2) You can ask to see end of range lines and buy your frames considerably reduced. A few years back I got some lovely blue French designer specs for only £20 for the frames.

3) Varifocles are brilliant as you only need one pair of specs and can see the computer. When I had bifocles I had to bob up and down trying to focus when working at the computer.

4) Best attention I've ever had was in Currie and Quirk in Byres Road.

5) Take someone you trust with you to help choose your specs. After you've tried on four or five pairs you can't think straight.

Guest westtender

193 Byres Rd. 1935:

BR193.jpg

Feb 2008:

IMG_4502.jpg

You might be a bit off there HH if you're saying that the white shop in the first pic is now the Haddows.

It's the "Scotch Wool" etc shop in the first pic that is now the Haddows.

I was going by the Tennent's window, but if you look at the windows above, I think that you are right, the pub may well have expanded it's frontage. It's a guessing game.

I love this thread.

You know what I was wondering.....it would be great to see what we all looked like then...and then now.

But ah wid hate tae crack yer screens.

You know what I was wondering.....it would be great to see what we all looked like then...and then now.

Mmmmm, that's not a bad idea, time to get the big hair photos scanned in. Tog has already kicked it off, just waiting on the 'now' pic. :blink: