Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
HollowHorn

Then & Now

Guest westtender

Now if the cinema was first mooted in 1922 & the ensuing wrangle lasted for eight years, this would take us up to 1930. Which is the date that the original row of buildings were demolished. That being the case, the Grosvenor Mansions could only have been built from 1930 onwards, looks like the date may be correct after all.

Which is what I said, I thangew

:P

Which is what I said, I thangew

:P

Excellent idea, you do the words & I'll provide the phoaties. A marriage made in heaven (or not)

Yep looks like it. Didnt think they were building using red sandstone that late.

That Mackinleys the Electrician on the corner???

That Mackinleys the Electrician on the corner???

Yes, Ozzy. You can also see their earlier shop in the 1930 pic of the row of one storey buildings.

Guest rearender

Its fun ... and its not all about bricks and mortar. Do people still have bank books???

Yes.

Great photo of the post office, TOG.

Are you carrying memoribilia across the Atlantic or had you previously uploaded the bank book image? :P

Guest rearender

I'm not quite as a n a l as TOG but I do still have my first bank book from The Savings Bank of Glasgow. It didn't scan well at all :P

CCF19022008_00000.jpg

When I cleaned out my parents house after they were gone, I found many photos that were one of a kind. I have a large family. I scanned them then put them on dvds and also took them to a photo kiosk and make copies. Any of the family members who wanted one got one a bundle of photos, dvds, and all the info I gathered from far and wide about each photo. It was a fun project and one I'm still working on. I wish I had thought to save the old papers.

When I cleaned out my parents house after they were gone, I found many photos that were one of a kind. I have a large family. I scanned them then put them on dvds and also took them to a photo kiosk and make copies. Any of the family members who wanted one got one a bundle of photos, dvds, and all the info I gathered from far and wide about each photo. It was a fun project and one I'm still working on. I wish I had thought to save the old papers.

Peony and TOG,

Briiliant idea. Although not yet mastered our new scanner.

I've got some very old postcards that my grandfather sent in 1910's when he was en route and in America.

I've mislaid them a couple of times so this sound like a good solution.

No old bank books, though. I don't think I had one - certainly not savings.

I raided my mother's archives where I not only found her stuff but also papers and photos from my father and my grandmother ..... all of it enough to really get me started on my family research.

Amongst them is a postcard sent by my great grandmother to her mother (my great great) probably around 1910. The stamp is George V and the price is one ha'penny.

Also found my father's diaries which he kept for most of his life ..... wanna know what the weather was like on Feb 19th 1932?

It is important to scan this stuff and then store the papers and photos in a cool dry place to help preserve them. I do all my research from scanned copies.

I think it's great to have all these keepsakes, tog. One of my friends cleared here mother's house when she died recently aged 95. She was very disappointed to find no treasure trove of memories.

I wish that I had asked my closest elderly relatives more questions before they died or developed dementia. Although I try to see more distant elderly relatives and they always have fascinating tales to tell. That's if we're not dozing off together.

Ashton Lane 1933:

AshtonLane-1.jpg

Feb 2008:

IMG_4523.jpg

Otago Lane North 1933:

OtagoLaneNorth.jpg

The stables shown above once housed Corporation tramway horses.

Feb 2008:

IMG_4534.jpg

These then & now Photos reminded me of when we built a new Bathing Pavilion at one of the local beaches.

The whole thing was painted gleaming white & some Big Wig was coming to open it, Stage had been erected , bunting hung & all prepared however some joker had spray painted behind podium --------------------------

WE DONT LIKE IT CAN WE HAVE OLD ONE BACK PLEASE

Wonderful!! however council had no sense of humour & painted it out :P

Ashton Lane looking good, HH, but definitely need a new project at Otago Lane North.

I think it's great to have all these keepsakes, tog. One of my friends cleared here mother's house when she died recently aged 95. She was very disappointed to find no treasure trove of memories.

I wish that I had asked my closest elderly relatives more questions before they died or developed dementia. Although I try to see more distant elderly relatives and they always have fascinating tales to tell. That's if we're not dozing off together.

I must agree Pat, ye never know whit ye had until its gone. :P

Guest westtender

Life for kids was different in the 1960s ... we all played outside in the street and we all knew each other. I wonder if any of them tune into this web site?

ruthvenstsaltounstnt7.png

;)

And modern life is rubbish.

Like I said above, its not just about bricks and mortar. Real people lived in these streets. So, just to make the Ruthven St. photo a bit more real ....

You missed out Pastor Jack Glass. ;)

Guest westtender

257 Byres Rd. 1930:

257.jpg

Jings; it wouldnae be, it couldnae be - that isnae Carol Wilson's the flower shop, next door?...just right where I reckon it should be?

Guest rearender

Jings; it wouldnae be, it couldnae be - that isnae Carol Wilson's the flower shop, next door?...just right where I reckon it should be?

I think Carol Wilson was where the card shop is now, next to Michael Mhor's opticians. The shop next to the bank is now Oddbins(?)

Life for kids was different in the 1960s ... we all played outside in the street and we all knew each other. I wonder if any of them tune into this web site?

TOG, I'm almost sure that some of them will be looking in on the site. Certainly there are lots of very nostaligic people from Maryhill logging on. There are coming up for 200 comments on the Unlocking Maryhill page:

http://www.glasgowwestend.co.uk/people/umaryhill.php