Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
Hingmie

Missed

Was it not good to log on and see JJ was aound ? He could always provide balance and humour. Where is he these days ? Indeed there are a few regulars missing. How come ? Anyone know ?

Was it not good to log on and see JJ was aound ? He could always provide balance and humour. Where is he these days ? Indeed there are a few regulars missing. How come ? Anyone know ?

I heard that he was away getting his ears pinned back, don't know if it's true though.

Talking of missed, my grandmother's old house in York street in Drumry was up for sale again recently, wish I'd known, I'd have loved to see inside it again.

The hoose no doubt still has her old wallpaper under layers and layers of paper with the final anaglypta on top.

I was in my brother in laws house recently and it was a few doors up from my Grans. Sweet memories of gigantic coconut iced buns and snowballs, pinnies and gorgous ornaments in her china cabinet.

Oh! and they wee tiny square cakes with fancy colours and a toatie cherry on top. Cake, doddah cream and iced perfectly... what were they called again?

The hoose no doubt still has her old wallpaper under layers and layers of paper with the final anaglypta on top.

I was in my brother in laws house recently and it was a few doors up from my Grans. Sweet memories of gigantic coconut iced buns and snowballs, pinnies and gorgous ornaments in her china cabinet.

Oh! and they wee tiny square cakes with fancy colours and a toatie cherry on top. Cake, doddah cream and iced perfectly... what were they called again?

When we moved inate oor furts hoose it had been freshly decoratit wae anaglypta waal ppaper, a year later we wurr daein it up and started tae strip ra livin room, it had 8 layers of wall ppaer unnerneath sed anaglypta, 2 layers of very thin anaglypta which looked aroon the '70s era wurr glosspaintit in chocolate broon, and the ithur in a turkwoisie colour it took a week tae strip ra room, we use tae put the paint striiper(steam machine in the room sshut ra doors and go oot furra oor or so, come back and strip anithur bit

name='notanimby' date='Feb 3 2008, 10:58 AM' post='81548'

When we moved inate oor furts hoose it had been freshly decoratit wae anaglypta waal ppaper, a year later we wurr daein it up and started tae strip ra livin room, it had 8 layers of wall ppaer unnerneath sed anaglypta, 2 layers of very thin anaglypta which looked aroon the '70s era wurr glosspaintit in chocolate broon, and the ithur in a turkwoisie colour it took a week tae strip ra room, we use tae put the paint striiper(steam machine in the room sshut ra doors and go oot furra oor or so, come back and strip anithur bit

Call me demented but I've always found stripping walls a very satisfying task.

I would imagine that the sense of achievement gained when your preparations were completed must have been fantastic - and how nice to have a bigger room. :(

Call me demented but I've always found stripping walls a very satisfying task.

I would imagine that the sense of achievement gained when your preparations were completed must have been fantastic - and how nice to have a bigger room. :(

Aye pat strippin wallpaper wisna to bad usually but when its multiple layers some GLOSS paintit , itsa bit mnerr tedious

The bigger roonm wiz better it meant we could akshully cycle roon the table tennis table rather than jist skweez by

It was probably The Queen Mary colours nottah.

High gloss was awe the rage every time a new ship was being built.

It must've been a hellish lookin boat tae be paintit in them culurrs

I was involved in the restoration of Australia's oldest house (Elizabeth Farm 1793 ...dont bloody laugh) built by convicts. These buggers had a nasty sense of humour which we found 200 years later.

On the stairs to the upper floor the last (top) step was 3/4" higher than others so you just caught your toe & automatically looked down & immediately bumped your head on the camp (sloping) ceiling. Everyone does it. The ceiling has a permanent dent.

The main chimney had a sheet of glass across it so that when they checked after building it looked clear but when they lit the fire......... Jagged bits of glass are still there.

Ef_main.jpg

I was involved in the restoration of Australia's oldest house (Elizabeth Farm 1793 ...dont bloody laugh) built by convicts. These buggers had a nasty sense of humour which we found 200 years later.

On the stairs to the upper floor the last (top) step was 3/4" higher than others so you just caught your toe & automatically looked down & immediately bumped your head on the camp (sloping) ceiling. Everyone does it. The ceiling has a permanent dent.

The main chimney had a sheet of glass across it so that when they checked after building it looked clear but when they lit the fire......... Jagged bits of glass are still there.

Ef_main.jpg

Lovely hoose, Oz, and very impressed by the creativity of those builders. No wonder so many moved on to bigger and better things.

Ef_main.jpg

Oooooh! Where is that house, Ozzy? I'd love to visit it one of these days....

It was probably The Queen Mary colours nottah.

High gloss was awe the rage every time a new ship was being built.

Rumours re how hooses were decked oot frae the Queens were always rife but were vehemently denied recently by workers from the QE2 when the recent documentary was made. HH can maybe find that link. I know that as a wean I heard aboot hooses that had been carpeted frae the Q4 bit never actually seen one.

I know that as a wean I heard aboot hooses that had been carpeted frae the Q4 bit never actually seen one.

That about sums it up, though tea, sugar, alcohol and such were often liberated by the Dockers.

That about sums it up, though tea, sugar, alcohol and such were often liberated by the Dockers.

Dockers were not actually shipyard workers or shipbuilders, though ? They worked on seperate sites ie docks or quays.

Dockers were not actually shipyard workers or shipbuilders, though ? They worked on seperate sites ie docks or quays.

Aye, they worked at the loading and unloading of cargo vessels, quite a few members of my family were Dockers.

In the pub, prolly, as per.

Wan of the above menshunned conveners in ra yerds in Greenock iz noo a new lieboor msp, known locally as Drunky McNeil, 100% proof(wee pun er) that if a donkey stood furr lieboor roon here they would get electit :(:(:(

Guest rearender

Wan of the above menshunned conveners in ra yerds in Greenock iz noo a new lieboor msp, known locally as Drunky McNeil, 100% proof(wee pun er) that if a donkey stood furr lieboor roon here they would get electit :(:(:(

Well you can't blame the good people of Greenock and Inverclyde for voting for a family member and, if that means a donkey gets the job, so be it.

Are you saying Duncan McNeill is a drunk?

care to substantiate or withdraw the above?

Guest rearender

Are you saying Duncan McNeill is a drunk?

care to substantiate or withdraw the above?

One l. Mcneil. Like the SNP MP with a taste for drunk teenage lassies.