Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
rolo tomassi

Toy Nostalgia

The sad death of Evel Kneivel today led me to reminisce about the toys we used to love..in my case my little brother's obsession with some cars/bikes you launched down a yella plastic trackway that took up the whole living room and some. They'd loop the loop a go-go (only the vehicles, not my da and bro...sadly..) Anyone remember what that game was called?

I think my favourite toy was my Cadb*ry's chocolate dispensing machine. You had to put a penny in the slot and you'd get either a Dairy Milk or a Bourneville mini out of the slot. When they ran out, you took the money out of the machine and used it to buy refills from Woolies.

Ah, life was so much simpler then......:-) I found myself today bewildered trying to buy a game for my wean......did she mean the PC CDROM version for laptop or the PS2 version? Thank goodness the staff in the shop were well trained to deal with silly old mothas like me......:-)

My favourite was my doll's house. I made furniture from match boxes and painted them. I've never really stopped as I'm still crocheting tiny carpets and curtains for our wee seven year old. Although - Modern Times - I did buy a couple of wee figures for her on ebay.

My favorite toys were plastic horses and men. The horses were about three inches tall. They had little saddles to hook onto them and little men who rode them. I would get my family to save burnt wooden matches and use them as fence posts. I would wind grocery twine around the match sticks to make pastures for my horses. Played by the hour with them.

I loved my post office set, and my sweetie shop set. I remeber a got a black doll one year( I know not very pc) I loved it cause it was so different, when I bathed it, it actually melted to pieces.

I think my favourite toy was my Cadb*ry's chocolate dispensing machine.

Uncanny. Ah saved up ajiz fur wanny them - it wiz mah pride 'n' joy. Ah also remembur gaun tae Woolies in Paisley fur the refills, jist like ye said. :)

The cars:

Would that have been hot wheels ? My kids had those and they would loop the loop. Two trcks allowed for racing.

tam

we used to get Dinky toys here wonderful little scale model cars& planes used to save pocket money to buy them

Uncanny. Ah saved up ajiz fur wanny them - it wiz mah pride 'n' joy. Ah also remembur gaun tae Woolies in Paisley fur the refills, jist like ye said. :P

Well, guess what, the 21st Century version is on sale in Byres Rd Woolies! Excellent! I'm gonna buy one.....for the wean's Christmas of course :wink:

Maggs, I too had a black doll, so given you and I are of a similar vintage, I wonder if it was the same one?

She was absurdly beautiful, shiny black hair and green eyes. My mum never threw her out, so my own wean got to dress her up in all these hideous outfits knitted/crocheted by various aunts and grans.

This before the advent of dolls like Sindy and Tressy, with their ridiculously proportioned bodies and 'designer' outfits. I had a Tressy doll about 40 years ago, you had to push a wee button in her abdomen and lo! you could pull out about a foot of extra hair from the tap of her heid. Bit like Jordan, really.

:roll: :)

Maggs, I too had a black doll

Uncanny. Ah saved up ajiz fur wanny them.

Erm, naw, that's right, aye, mah mistake, aye, it wiz a train set ah meant.

Aye that's right, it wiz a train set ah hud...... an' an akshin man anaw... an a Meccano set. Aye, boays stuff.

Uncanny. Ah saved up ajiz fur wanny them.

Erm, naw, that's right, aye, mah mistake, aye, it wiz a train set ah meant.

Aye that's right, it wiz a train set ah hud...... an' an akshin man anaw... an a Meccano set. Aye, boays stuff.

mibbe yer doll wiz when your a bit older, ye know wan of them blow up wans

Issat the tree outta Poltergeist?

Watch out, little JJ, it's coming to get ya!

<and him having to buy his own pressies an aw, is there nae justice in the wurrild?>

Issat the tree outta Poltergeist?

Watch out, little JJ, it's coming to get ya!

<and him having to buy his own pressies an aw, is there nae justice in the wurrild?>

It did come to get him Rolo, but JJ won out in the end

gnome.jpg

It did come to get him Rolo, but JJ won out in the end

gnome.jpg

Wis it JJ or Heidie that wis in 'Ahm a Celebrity... '?

Maybe Ozneil knows - it wis shot oan his territory?

Maybe Ozneil knows - it wis shot oan his territory?

It was??? Never heard of it.

We had "Survival" shot up north here a while ago if that helps Oh & an episode of "the Bill" a while ago

if I had known that one of them was on it......

I maybe would have watched it :wink:

I have caught the odd episode before but am too squeamish to watch anybody eating animal eyes (or worse) or creepy crawlie beasties. Yeeuch

Or maybe I have not got the sense of humour required to enjoy watching them.