Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
Guest westender

What's this building in Partick?

Guest westender

From 'Crusty Bint' over on HG:

Fantastic building! Don't think I've ever seen anything quite like it in Glasgow. Dunno where it is though, my inkling was Possil/Saracen Cross but can't find anything to corroborate.

:?:

Well Crusty Bint's no seen much then (nae offence)....there are loads of these all over the place.

Think Partick X. When you cross over Dumbarton Rd coming from Byres Rd and heading towards the Clydeside Distressway and the new flats (where the granaries were), the new flats at Partick X are set back from Dumbarton Rd. I think they were built on the site of Westies photo.

Benalder St. It looks VERY like it, but it ain't.

Compare the two pics, check out the windows to the side at the left.

:lol:

Guest westender

Think Partick X. When you cross over Dumbarton Rd coming from Byres Rd and heading towards the Clydeside Distressway and the new flats (where the granaries were), the new flats at Partick X are set back from Dumbarton Rd. I think they were built on the site of Westies photo.

TOG, I think you win a prize.

http://www.mitchelllibrary.org/virtualmitc...amp;t=4&x=1

This pic is the bottom of Byers Road, Partick Cross. Picture yourself walking toward the photographer. Judges is on your left, and the lavvy railings we can just see on the right. (That being the case, we cannae see the phone boxes that are visible in the curvy tenement photie. And in the curvy tenement photie, we can see something of the lavvy railings but we cannae see the polis box visible in the Bayne & Duckett photie.)

TOG says that we would now be facing the curvy tenement paint shop building. It's a thing I can't picture at all - I only ever remember the place being waste ground and the various solitary Volcano building incarnations.

However, this helps me picture it - I think this is another view of the curvy paint shop tenement, taken at the side opposite to the phone boxes.

http://www.mitchelllibrary.org/virtualmitc...amp;t=4&x=1

There's the wee odd-angled building at Partick Cross with the ogee windows, facing onto Partick Cross. (This is what I thought the curvy tenement might have been. ) There's the back end of the lavvy railings. There's a building heading into a big curvy corner.

If this is the same curvy tenement in this pic, heading to Slick Chicks Dig ######, then it is further back from Partick Cross than the one with the ogee windows, but it's definitely looking at Partick Cross. Therefore it is the site of the new yuppie flats.

And therefore TOG is right.

I can't picture the scene at all - but if that's what it is, it means I was right about feeling in the curvy tenement pic that I was looking in the vicinity of Benalder Street.

Good grief! Well done TOG and Westie, ......:-)

I have no memory at all of the tenement behind the Judges, I only remember the single building that was Volcano............

So looking south from the original pic the road the van is travelling down JOINS with Benalder St, just where the buroo is now? Yes?

So we were wrong, but only by about 50 feet, well done youse two.

:wink:

Guest westender

Aye.... but what I'd like to know is what was in that pic that made me stop and think 'hmmm, that's Benalder Street' - when I was looking at a scene containing nothing I'd ever seen before...

... jings. A steam train, pulling in beside the mill at the Kelvin.....fancy.

Guest westender

To be honest, it was the lavvies that jogged my memory.

Oh dear.

:lol:

Well, that's honest enough I suppose!

arf arf arf

Guest westender

:lol::lol::D

Nae 'was' about it - it's still there!!, and as cheerfully & menacingly grim as it ever was. I gigged in it once. It was a discomfiting experience, but ye just need to know how to handle them

Partick.jpg

My photo of the street from 'Kelvin Hall' railway station is correct? I'm still a bit confused, need to look at a map.

Aye.... but what I'd like to know is what was in that pic that made me stop and think 'hmmm, that's Benalder Street' - when I was looking at a scene containing nothing I'd ever seen before...

... jings. A steam train, pulling in beside the mill at the Kelvin.....fancy.

Nah, it's nearly Benalder St, and the tenement (buroo) was the right call.

Building is very similar, complete wi curves, maybe when they built those few blocks in that part of town curves were in!

Gies another wan! Only TOG has to stay out of the game till we all get it wrong( again!)........:-)

Guest westender

Partick.jpg

My photo of the street from 'Kelvin Hall' railway station is correct? I'm still a bit confused, need to look at a map.

Aye, spot on. Looking straight up from the river past St Simons - still standing - heading straight on towards Partick Cross. All new ugly expensive flats now.

Well Crusty Bint's no seen much then (nae offence)....there are loads of these all over the place.

I asked him to expand on his answer:

Well, since googling I've found another similar looking treatment at the Round Toll, but I just mean the odd treatment of the first two floors and the roof. It's not very usual to see this double-height shop space (not to mention "slick chicks big ###### walk-round store" ::D: ) with the corner treatment and dormer roof (which you can only just make out from the unfortunate crop)

Naw, yer're right, I'm talkin pish.

:shock: Ah'm away tae get mah pootir checked fur a virus.

Ah cood huv sworn that westie jist admitit tae not only huvvin been wrang, but tae huvvin akshully talked pish.

Whit nixt? Tony Blair admitin he knew thur wur nae WMD in Iraq? Bill C admitin he podjered Monica? Lizo admitin tae huvvin mair than wan identity oan here? Heidy admitin he ate the tablit Pol sent him fur lil ole me? Hollow Heid admitin he drinks Horlicks in pubs so he's asleep by the time it's his roond? Rolo admitin tae huvvin a Hummer roon the back alley fae 'is hoose? TOG admitin he's only 24 an' gets a' his infurmayshin fae Googul? Peony admitin she is also Insanity, Tam, weekie an' Sgriob?

Ony mair fur ony mair?

Guest westender

Actually (at the risk of being at least as pedantic as yerself), if ye'd been paying attention ye'd have noticed that it turned oot I wisnae talkin pish, because I suspected I was lookin at the vicinity of Benalder Street and it turned oot I was right.

If I am talking pish I will admit it. It rarely happens, which is why you have seen fit to comment in this case. However, you stand corrected.

8)

Really? I thought it had closed down. To be honest, I never get south of the Aragon (even less likely now and for the next couple of years).

Memories has been well and truly flattenned. It stood empty for anout a year, but was demolished recently

Ah cood huv sworn that westie jist admitit tae not only huvvin been wrang, but tae huvvin akshully talked pish.

Whit nixt? Tony Blair admitin he knew thur wur nae WMD in Iraq? Bill C admitin he podjered Monica? Lizo admitin tae huvvin mair than wan identity oan here? Heidy admitin he ate the tablit Pol sent him fur lil ole me? Hollow Heid admitin he drinks Horlicks in pubs so he's asleep by the time it's his roond? Rolo admitin tae huvvin a Hummer roon the back alley fae 'is hoose? TOG admitin he's only 24 an' gets a' his infurmayshin fae Googul? Peony admitin she is also Insanity, Tam, weekie an' Sgriob?

Ony mair fur ony mair?

:D:lol::lol: What a way to start the day!!

pee ess, good to have my suspicions regarding Peony confirmed. :wink:

Guest onyirtodd

Ony mair fur ony mair?

Isn't 'hummer' another term for bl*w j*b?

No, Onny, it's just a big car driven by socker moms.

Wait, maybe their is a connection . . . . Is sucking bank accounts dry, the same thing?

Guest westender

Memories has been well and truly flattenned. It stood empty for anout a year, but was demolished recently

Acht!!

:D