Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
The other guest

How much pocket money did you get?

Rolo Tomassi

Another i in the wrong place there, Hingimie?

So, sometimes I hit the keyboard wrongly, is it a major problem ? If it is, I would think there are there are a few other posts on here that should be commented on but maybe you chose to single me out. If so, why ? Dare or care to answer ?

We hud a big sink. None of yer elecktrickery nonsense, just watter and carbolic. And a washboard. I got Stairway to Heaven outta it once.......

:roll:

Rolo, the electric ringer came after the deep sink, carbolic era.

I think we were the first people in the close to have a washing machine.

Well, my poor mum with 7 weans - she deserved it.

I think Tide was the soap powder of choice.

Rolo, the electric ringer came after the deep sink, carbolic era.

Electric wringer, you were spoiled. My first house a two rrom and kitchen had an old fashioned hand wringer, which I sed to wring the weans nappies. My son disnae believe me

BH%20MANGLE.JPG

PAT , I was brought up when there was still the back wash house which meant getting up early for yer turn, setting the fire for the boiler etc. Rinso and Oxydol soap powders were the vogue as I recall, well into the sixties. We moved from a tenement into a house with a boiler heated wi the coal fire and two sinks, deep one for steeping and washing with the wringer btween them. Luxury for mum, she didn`t need to go outside. Then hail,the advent of the twin tub!!! Still meant hours doing the wash but maybe not so backbreaking, no scrubbing board. It was an all day event, laundry day.

I have an automatic washer, tumble dryer etc but still spend hours washing cos we have more clothes now than we had then, I think.

Electric wringer, you were spoiled. My first house a two rrom and kitchen had an old fashioned hand wringer, which I sed to wring the weans nappies. My son disnae believe me

Issat no a mangle?

PAT , I was brought up when there was still the back wash house which meant getting up early for yer turn, setting the fire for the boiler etc. Rinso and Oxydol soap powders were the vogue as I recall, well into the sixties. We moved from a tenement into a house with a boiler heated wi the coal fire and two sinks, deep one for steeping and washing with the wringer btween them. Luxury for mum, she didn`t need to go outside. Then hail,the advent of the twin tub!!! Still meant hours doing the wash but maybe not so backbreaking, no scrubbing board. It was an all day event, laundry day.

I have an automatic washer, tumble dryer etc but still spend hours washing cos we have more clothes now than we had then, I think.

I remember skinning my knuckles on the washboard but

I never lived in a house with a wash-house. although, our neighbours had them and they fascinated me. Very sudsy.

I think we are recording important social history here :lol:

Back in 1950's women were still doing their washings outside?

Did anyone's mum ever use the Steamie?

I remember skinning my knuckles on the washboard but

I never lived in a house with a wash-house. although, our neighbours had them and they fascinated me. Very sudsy.

Inside or ootside as long as it's gettin' done plus the ironing, dusting, hooverin' and all things domestic.......................

Guest onyirtodd

My mum used the steamie attached to Cranstonhill Baths

cranstonhill.jpg in Elliot Street along with, amongst others, Tony Roper's mum. She'd push a pram laden with laundry with even more laundry in a kid's bath on top. The pram is long gone but I still use the papier-mache bath as a laundry basket.

She continued to use Cranstonhill till it closed and was replaced by an all new singing and dancing public wash house set amongst the flats on the south side of St Vincent Street/ east of Elderslie Street. The new steamie didn't stay in use very long as improvements in the standard of living locally meant more and more families had access to a washing maching in the home.

The steamie building is still intact and I'm told all the machines are still in place.

Guest onyirtodd

How come you don't have a pully in the kitchen?

We had a pulley in the kitchen for small items of hand wash stuff and a pully in the lobby from which we suspended our bicycles to get them out of the way.

Guest onyirtodd

My mum hardly ever uses her dryer. Almost everything goes on the pulley and, with the high ceilings in our Victorian flats, dries in no time.

How does having high ceilings help clothes dry quicker?

My mother had bad scars on her arm from wrist to shoulder. As a curious child she tried to put something through the wringer when her mom's back was turned. It pulled her arm in as well. :?

My mum used the steamie attached to Cranstonhill Baths

cranstonhill.jpg in Elliot Street along with, amongst others, Tony Roper's mum. She'd push a pram laden with laundry with even more laundry in a kid's bath on top. The pram is long gone but I still use the papier-mache bath as a laundry basket.

She continued to use Cranstonhill till it closed and was replaced by an all new singing and dancing public wash house set amongst the flats on the south side of St Vincent Street/ east of Elderslie Street. The new steamie didn't stay in use very long as improvements in the standard of living locally meant more and more families had access to a washing maching in the home.

The steamie building is still intact and I'm told all the machines are still in place.

Thanks Onny furr remindin me of papier mache baths, Ah hud wan when a wuas a baby too, we also kept it for years for a multitude of uses........................meemories

Guest onyirtodd

Thanks Onny furr remindin me of papier mache baths, Ah hud wan when a wuas a baby too, we also kept it for years for a multitude of uses........................meemories

Just for you notanimby.

DSC00008-1.jpg

Just for you notanimby.

DSC00008-1.jpg

Christ Almighty.....................that's it. Ah think mine wiz a pale blue unnerneath but .................................jings tears tae ma eyes(literally)

Thanks ah dunnoe whit tae say.......................

Guest onyirtodd

Christ Almighty.....................that's it. Ah think mine wiz a pale blue unnerneath but .................................jings tears tae ma eyes(literally)

Thanks ah dunnoe whit tae say.......................

Just be grateful I took the Calvins out before I took the photo.

Ah hate tae take this threid aff et a tanjint, but ah've ###### in late oan this wan.

Aged 12, ah goat wan shillin a week pokkit munny, so ah goat a joab delivrin mulk wi' the co-op, which wiznae strikly leegal, as ye wur meant tae be 13 at least.

Fur delivrin the mulk, shovin crates o' the stuff up Renfra Hight Street in a rikkity auld barra whit hud a bockitty wheel, ah wiz piyed the princely sum o' 9 shillins a week.

Efter aboot 6 munths ah funnoot that the boays whit delivert the mulk in the big Coapy van goat mair munny than us. This jist didnae seem right, as the van didnae huv a bokkity wheel an wiznae freezin cauld like mah auld barra, so how cood the munny be mair?

Ah talked the ither 5 barra boays intae gaun oan strike and the wumman whit gave us wur oardurs in the mornin laffed hur tits aff when ah telt hur.

Howiver, ah hud the last laff when she hud tae ###### roon a' wur hooses afore the weekend an' ask us if we wid ###### back fur anither shillin.

We duly akseptit the shillin which, et the time, seemed tae me like sellin oot oan the cheap. Lukkin back tho', it representit a rise o' mair than 11 purcent.

Ah left a year laytur tae deliver froot, veg 'n' floors fur twelve ana tanner a week, plus mah poakit munny dubbled tae two bob a week efter ah turnt 13. Tips in mah nyoo joab wur better than the mulk roon, (probly coz naebuddy wiz up when ah wiz et thur door wi' the mulk). This meant ah sumtimes hud mair than a kwid in mah poakit oan a Seturday efternin.

The year wiz 1966. Suddenly ah wiz a teenayjir an' ah wiz loadit.

I'll never forget the smell of the Electric Float first thing in the morning as we unhooked it from the charger (an' I don't mean a horse, luggy)

pee ess. Did you ever deliver to Maggie Fleck's on Porterfield Rd?

Did you ever deliver to Maggie Fleck's on Porterfield Rd?

Naw, the van boays delivert tae the further away runs. Ah did the High Street an' the Millburn Skeem runs.

Ah did go tae skool in Poerterfield Road up tae ah wiz 8 yeers auld tho'.

Haw westie, ye lern sumthin nyoo ivry day. Ah didnae know that wiz Ridley Scott whit directit that. Fur me, he's wanny the best in the bizniss.