Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
The other guest

How much pocket money did you get?

I worked, ( babysitting, farm-work) for everything I got, from a very early age. All proceeds went into the family coffers...If I was lucky, in a good week, I was allowed to keep a small (very small) percentage of my earnings...

I got up and fed cattle before school. I built fences and delivered calves. I help bale and haul 70 pound hay bales. This was what I did to be allowed to keep a couple of horses.

I had my first full time job at the age of 14. 3-11 pm on weeknights six nights a week. I always tried to get my homework done by the time school was out.

I never actually got any allowance.

Gawd .... sounds like this thread is evolving into something from Monty Python.

TOG that's the first time you've ever made me laugh.

But, to continue I only got pocket money when I started working. I brought home my pay packet intact and then was dished out some money if I was going anywhere.

When I was sixteen I started working on a Saturday morning and I got to keep that. After work I used to go down to Lewis's on Argyle Street with my workmates and we would all buy the same things - Lentheric dark tan make-up was a favourite.

Guest onyirtodd

TOG that's the first time you've ever made me laugh.

But, to continue I only got pocket money when I started working. I brought home my pay packet intact and then was dished out some money if I was going anywhere.

When I was sixteen I started working on a Saturday morning and I got to keep that. After work I used to go down to Lewis's on Argyle Street with my workmates and we would all buy the same things - Lentheric dark tan make-up was a favourite.

Did you wear Tweed, by Lentheric?

Gawd .... sounds like this thread is evolving into something from Monty Python.

Too right, my thoughts exactly.

LUXURY!

I can't remember how much I got from my ma and da, not very much, there were five of us to keep (plus extended family) from one wage-earner. But my great aunt gave me a half-crown most weeks.

I got my first Saturday job aged 14, serving tea and cakes in a cafe at Anniesland. My ma and da let me keep my earnings.

I worked weekends in various jobs right through to Uni, and when there, did several different jobs, waitressing at Charlie Parkers at night (the tips were better than the wages!) and every weekend working at the Mecca bookmakers (the 'tips' were always rubbish!)...

We give the wean a set amount of pocket money every month, paid in to her bank account. She has a cash card and has to manage her own money.

I can't remember how much I got when I was younger. I remember shouting up to my Nana for a penny or rags if the rag and bone man came. then when I was about 11 I got the bus to school and, like TOG, was given 3d for the penny hapenny bus fare each way, and if we managed to skip it, went tinot the sweetie shop and spent it on the penny tray.

Guest onyirtodd

Schooldays spent selling jazz mags and rubber johnnies to school mates. Weekends pumping gas in the Shell at the foot of Kilbowie Road and occasional evening showing patrons to their seats at Peter Kennan's wrestling shows.

I don`t remember a petrol station at the bottom of Kilbowie Road, Onny. I know Clydebank fairly well. Are you sure it wan`t Duntocher or Mountblow Rd. ? There are still garages there.

Guest onyirtodd

I don`t remember a petrol station at the bottom of Kilbowie Road, Onny. I know Clydebank fairly well. Are you sure it wan`t Duntocher or Mountblow Rd. ? There are still garages there.

On the main road right at the Glasgow/ Clydebank boundary?

A, that is at the bottom of Mill Road. On Glasgow Road just before it changes back to Dumbarton Road. Next to the Cawdor Vaults pub , now known as the Boundary ?

Did you wear Tweed, by Lentheric?

No - I think it must be only men who buy that it's horrible.

Guest onyirtodd

No - I think it must be only men who buy that it's horrible.

It's a bit 'litle old lady' isn't it?

It's a bit 'litle old lady' isn't it?

Depends what little old lady you're talking about. :lol:

I smell a story behind your enquiry about Tweed by Lentheric, Onny. Do tell :lol:

What are doing encouraging him?

Guest onyirtodd

I smell a story behind your enquiry about Tweed by Lentheric, Onny. Do tell :lol:

The former Mrs Onyirtodd (QC)'s mother used to wear Tweed. She also wore made-to-measure clothes (hand cut and stitched by a "woman I know") out of Bernat Klein fabric.

I really ought to have seen the writing on the wall :lol:

o come on now Onny, do you mean she didn`t use a "bespoke tailoress" to make up her colourful tweed outfits ? How terribly, terribly common. :lol:

Guest onyirtodd

o come on now Onny, do you mean she didn`t use a "bespoke tailoress" to make up her colourful tweed outfits ? How terribly, terribly common. :lol:

She was terribly, terribly common but an insufferable snob.

So was the person I knew who was always trying to get at my mother by yakking on about how she got her kit made specially for her by the aforementioned "bespoke tailoress" :lol::lol:

A Hyacinth Bucket type of person who was actually unwittingly funny in her snobbery but she DID get to my mum. :lol::lol:

Me neither Peony, not GIVEN it. From an early age maybe about 7 or 8 years we had to do some household chore to get any. That could just have been taking out the rubbish or tidying up the sitting room, putting scatter cushions tidy etc. My mother knitted a lot for us and one job I absolutely hated was to be the one holding the skeins of wool while she rolled it into a ball :cry: There was a technique to it and I often lost attention and got it in a fankle and got scolded. As we got older it could be peeling tatties, scraping carrots or other veg. for dinner and we were expected to look after younger ones, not just ours but neighbours kids too. Our comics etc were bought for us and Friday was treat from the ice cream van night. No worries cause everyone around us seemed in the same boat. There was the odd flash kid who always had sweeties wnd he/she was popular until they ran out :lol:

I DID spare you all the story about how I had to walk three miles to school in ass deep snow drifts and bare footed and all. :lol: