Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
yonza bam

Glasgow Trams Videos

Anyone care to guess when these pictures were shot? I'd say the 50s, but it might be the early 60s. I noticed a Morris Minor 'shooting brake' with the wooden framed rear end in the 'West and North' one. I think I saw something that looked a bit like a Ford Cortina in the 'City Centre' one, which would make it early 60s. Could be wrong, though. Cars are not my speciality. Great to see how folk took their lives in their hands running across the street dodging traffic. 'Green men' were yet to be invented.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yDSy0oMu9g

City Centre:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuIVabDdbWU

Yonza, thanks for the memories.

See the West End and North segment? At the start, I think the tram's travelling westwards on Great Western Road Boulevard just past Lincoln Avenue and the shops adjacent to the prefabs next to the Knightswood pitch'n'putt.

Next scene ( I think) is where it's done an 180 degree turn just where the Forth and Clyde canal cuts under Gt Western,and starts back into town, along the middle of the boulevard through Knightswood, and into Anniesland. You can see the railway bridge that still exists to this day. Then onwards down to the Botanics (Silver Slipper Cafe in background) and down thru Kelvinbridge, past St Mary's Cathedral.

I'd date the footage late 50s earliest, early 60s more likely. I lived in Knightswood at that time and from the stylee of motor cars I can recall from my ancient and somewhat abused synapses, I'd say it's probably about 1962/3. 8)

City Centre clips cover many of the main roads, particularly St Vincent St, Sauchiehall St and around George Square. I got a bit confused wi the one going under the Capsta sign, what wi the old-fashioned two way traffic going on, but think that was Argyle St, under the Hielanman's Umbrella.

The very last couple of shots, I'm not sure about. Need to look again, don't recognise the curvy road....:-)

I reckon circa 1960 going by cars.

Recognised Jamaica Bridge, road had a nice little kink there with tram lines doing a quick left right. In the old trams, with the big overhang fore & aft, if driver timed it right he could side swipe a car with the back of the tram as it swung "Wiznae ma faut Jummy this caur is oan rails hoo cuid it be"

Also recognised George Square. Used to be a standard chain measure set in paving there where we used to have to check lengths of measuring tapes. Is it still there?

Guest westender

Also recognised George Square. Used to be a standard chain measure set in paving there where we used to have to check lengths of measuring tapes. Is it still there?

Yes.

Guest onyirtodd

City Centre clips cover many of the main roads, particularly St Vincent St, Sauchiehall St and around George Square. I got a bit confused wi the one going under the Capsta sign, what wi the old-fashioned two way traffic going on, but think that was Argyle St, under the Hielanman's Umbrella.

The very last couple of shots, I'm not sure about. Need to look again, don't recognise the curvy road....:-)

I think the 'curvy road' is the bit of Bothwell Street that isn't there any more. It ran from the foot of Elmbank Street across to where the Albany Hotel was built. I reckon the low building on the left a few frames further on is Rossleigh Motors.

I think these clips may have been culled from a video (VHS) which was available in the Transport Museum and entitled "Online Video - Glasgow Trams" and which was produced in co-operation with the Scottish Tramway and Transport Society.

Part one was available in 1992 and Part two was supposed to be available in 1993.

Part One deals with the history of the tram fleet, the growth of the undertaking and the closures up to 1959.

Part two deals with the closures of 1960 - 1962.

The West & North one also had a fair bit of Maryhill Rd (although it could have been Cathcart Rd) on it.