Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
yonza bam

Is This Byres Road?

Found this photo on the Virtual Mitchell site. It says Byres Road, but it disnae look like it to me. If I had my arm twisted to guess, I'd say Dumbarton Road. Click on 'larger image' to get a better look at it.

http://tinyurl.com/3c59et

Possibly.....if those buildings at the 'top' of the pic are Dumbarton Rd, but there's no Western Infirmary. So I don't think so.

It's Byres Rd.

Viewpoint is at Ashton Rd carpark looking up towards Great Western Rd. First road on left is Dowanside Rd

Well, that would be slightly uphill, and it looks level to me. Maybe it was an 'electric brae' back then. :wink:

And the tenements at the 'top' which appear to be at right angles to Byres Road. They'd have been where the Botanic Gardens are now, and they have since been demolished?

As Yonza says, the tenements at the top would bely the fact it's Byres Rd, because of the Botanics.

Guest westender

It's Byres Rd.

Viewpoint is at Ashton Rd carpark looking up towards Great Western Rd. First road on left is Dowanside Rd

Hmmm, don't think so. If so, what the hell are they buildings up at the far end doing blocking the way onto GWR?

My first hunch - and my hunches are usually good - is that it was indeed a poor photie of Dumbarton Road, a long time ago, and the photie wasn't good enough to capture the Uni tower, which should be visible if that is Dumbarton Road.

On peering at it again but - naw, I havenae got a clue where that is

had another look, I'm still sure its Byres Rd but my viewpoint was slightly off.

It's from outside Bonhams first st on left will be Ruthven St. Remember that Byres rd has quite a kink in it at Observatory rd and that is why the tenements appear to cutting across

So, if you scroll across to take in the right hand pavement, the woman is standing on the lane that leads to the Chip, and that's the Curler's just beyond her. It looks more like it now, because I think the Curler's is a very old pub that pre-dates the tenements, so that wee bit of Byres Road is the tenement free bit that's occupied by The Curler's. Looks like you're right, AlanM.

I think it's definitely Byres at Ruthven. And isn't that the old entrance to Hillhead tube on the far right, next to the old Curlers building? The tenement on the corner of Byres/Gt George looks right.

The tenements at the top are what threw me too. I wonder if they were there before the Safeway/modren flats were built and blocked the view to Botanics? I don't remember!

:lol:

Guest westender

Now that I look at it again, I am now certain that the three corner bay windows above the passing tram are indeed the present day windows above Gregg's, (where it used to be the case that every xmastime those three bay windows would all have a big tree in the window and from the street it looked like one giant tree going right up through the living rooms - days long gone now), and that's the block with Barratt's, Boots, Alliance & Leicester.

But certain of that though I am, the far end of this pic makes no sense to me at all. Byres Rd has quite a kink - but it's not that much of a kink, nor was it ever.

Cannae make sense of what I'm seeing there at all.

Actually thinking about it, standing outside the tube station, as I was today, waiting on the 18, you can't actually see Botanics from there.

You can see RBS, Safeway and the buses coming round the kink at the Library.

Guest westender

standing outside the tube station, as I was today, waiting on the 18

Lyrical, rolo m'dear....lyrical!

The Virtual Mitchell does have a number of mislabelled pictures.

Actually thinking about it, standing outside the tube station, as I was today, waiting on the 18, you can't actually see Botanics from there.

the what station. How long did you live in London?

The more I look at it, the more it seems that it's a view down Dumbarton Rd from about where Partick Library is. It kinks to the right opposite the Partick Tavern, and it's a more pronounced kink than the one at the top of Byres Rd. Big problem with that is, as Westie pointed out, nae uni spire. Those tenements just don't fit in at the top of Byres Rd. They look virtually at right angles to it.

Guest thomas

It is Byres Road - take a look again at the small detail and building on the right - it is 100% without doubt the Curlers Tavern.

Is this a photograph or an artist's sketch? More like the latter to me. The Simpson's who work out of MacKinnon's Mills and have many displays around Glasgow - do the same thing, they 'create illusions' meaning that they will simply put a bridge, fountain or tower in alignment to suit the picture they are working on. Is this the same idea?

At the top left of the photograph stood a garage, which was demolished to make way for the new houses and Massey Lipton's below - now Somerfield.

Have a look at the Curlers on other sites and marry the two pictures together - that should convince you.

I've managed to find bits that contradict both Byres rd and Dumabrton Rd.

The tenements at the corner of Byres Rd and Observatory Rd were built in the early 1930's (this postcard has a 1910 postmark) and the buildings previously on that site were single storey.I can see why they would have thought that canopy was the entrance to Hillhead Subway station and believed the postcard maker's caption.

If it were Dumbarton Rd I think the angle would have omitted the university tower, which in 1910 would have been without the spire (i think). Although the tenements at Dowanhill street don't match up either having two floors of flats above the shops and the postcard clearly has 3 floors above shop level

I doesn't really help not having unaltered photos from the period as I think the postcard maker may have used a fair bit of licence when creating this image.

Guest thomas

I think it was 'artistic licence' as I have sat for the last hour and I would bet my left arm and right leg on it being Byres Road, viewed not far from the Curlers.

I have 5 Simpson prints hanging on my walls and each of them depict scenes from the West End - at least two of them have been doctored to represent an image, which is inaccurate - one is of Bute Tower and in the foreground is the Stewart Memorial Fountain, the representation is near but from the angle in the print - you would not see the fountain and tower line up in real life.

The other is Partick Bridge and the pathway leading from the Park to Dumbarton Road at the Western - again it has been manipulated because the two don't marry up.

I think this is what the artist must have done - but I recall seeing something similar and if I had a scanner I would raid my Mother's house for she has pictures of Stobcross St and they are like the Byres Road shot - totally inaccurate but still good!

I guess there will be those for Byres Road and against - but I would bet my limbs that at least on this issue, I am right. Ok maybe not so drastic as my limbs, but I would lay money down on the Curlers Bar if only to prove I was right.

I think it's definitely Byres at Ruthven. And isn't that the old entrance to Hillhead tube on the far right, next to the old Curlers building? The tenement on the corner of Byres/Gt George looks right.

The tenements at the top are what threw me too. I wonder if they were there before the Safeway/modren flats were built and blocked the view to Botanics? I don't remember!

The flats at the top of the road seem to pre-date Wylie's as well.

Guest westender

This is easily verified - go and check the windaes on that corner above Gregg's, I'm tellin yese!!

ps the spire of the Uni tower was added by Gilbert Scott's son, I think around 20 years after the completion of the original Gilbert scott building

pps there's no way this is a true photographic image - I'm with thomas - it's been doctored. The fiend what done it is trying to drive us all mad

OK, I came out of the tube an hour ago ( I never lived in London, btw, Dex) and stood outside Iceland looking towards the top of Byres.

Actually, the tenements at the corner of Observatory Rd and Byres DO look, from that angle, (where the photo was taken from, I believe) as though they're crossing the top of the road.

Try it, see what you think?

OK, I came out of the tube an hour ago ( I never lived in London, btw, Dex) and stood outside Iceland looking towards the top of Byres.

Actually, the tenements at the corner of Observatory Rd and Byres DO look, from that angle, (where the photo was taken from, I believe) as though they're crossing the top of the road.

Try it, see what you think?

I believe you but they hadn't been built when that pic was "created"

When was the picture apparently taken, Alan?

I'm no arguing right or wrong here, just reporting back the possible optical illusion I saw this evening.

It surprised me, actually. A couple of yards to the west (i.e. across the road!) and you see a completely different vista.

When was the picture apparently taken, Alan?

I'm no arguing right or wrong here, just reporting back the possible optical illusion I saw this evening.

It surprised me, actually. A couple of yards to the west (i.e. across the road!) and you see a completely different vista.

The Mitchell has it postmarked at 1910 and the building your talking about was built in 1930