Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
Bigmags

Ballroom Dance School in Sauchiehall Street (early 1970's)

Hi there,

I am hoping that someone out there can help me. A friend and I went to a ballroom dance class in Sauchiehall Street around 1972, it was situated above the old BSM offices, but we entered up the side street to go upstairs.

I know that it was the Roger ............ something school of dancing, but for the life of me, I cannot remember his surname. I know he taught balllroom dancing for a long time because another friend went there in the early 1060's.

Can anyway remember his name? I would be really grateful and it would put me out of my misery.

Best wishes, Bigmags :roll:

Yes, absolutely brilliant, many thanks!':lol:'

I do remember now Roger MacEwan, I did have a look on Google, but didn't notice anything.

He was a small man with hips and legs that could go in any direction, which was just as well because I had two left feet!

Thanks very much for this, you've put me out of my misery, your help is very much appreciated, thanks again.

Bigmags

Yes, absolutely brilliant, many thanks!':lol:'

I do remember now Roger MacEwan, I did have a look on Google, but didn't notice anything.

He was a small man with hips and legs that could go in any direction, which was just as well because I had two left feet!

Thanks very much for this, you've put me out of my misery, your help is very much appreciated, thanks again.

Bigmags

and what was you knockback line to an unattractive chancer at tthe dancing?

Reading mags submission reminded me of my similar memories. It was at Stewart's ballrom dance acadamy in Great Western Road.

I lived in Overnewton and attended Woodside Senior Secondary School. As far as I was concerned I tolerated the girls on the tennis court and they tolerated me on the damce floor. The best souple earned their Silver Medal. one or two others gained a bronze. This was in the forties.

Tempus fugit. I learned last year that the male silver medallist has Parkinson's disease.

Auldscot30

Aye, but did ye get intae any fights wi' the Yanks at the Locarno? (see link above :wink: )

Aye, but did ye get intae any fights wi' the Yanks at the Locarno? (see link above :wink: )

The Shore Patrol minibus was a familiar sight in Sauchiehall Street.

buzzard.jpg

The Barrowland was another popular haunt for sailors till it was closed after the Bible John murders. Bairds Bar stocked Tequila and was left with several cases of the stuff which did not really appeal to the local population. I worked in the Barras a few years later and my boss was given a case. I ended up with a couple of bottles of Jose Cuervo's finest.

I used to go to the Albert . Bet its gone too. Gees we're getting auld :(

What a co-incidence, Onny! My mum and dad met at the Albert too.

One of my faves from the family album is a picture of em at the Albert in their 50s finery; my gorgeous mum in a glam ballgown and dancing slippers, and my handsome ex-RAF dad in a dinner suit and one of those rather chic white fringed silky scarves.

Clydebank and Knightswood go to Hollywood! Musta been SOOOO glam given what they'd all been through during and after WW2.

I still have the scarf.

Guest onyirtodd

I have one of those rather chic white fringed silky scarves too but mine came from Starry Starry Night :oops:

Ye're a man of taste and style, Sir Onny!

I was in there today, actually. They have some very chic cravats and also a great collection of Tootal scarves, wi paisley patterns and fringes. Long evening gloves and beautiful beaded vintage gowns for the ladies.

They also had a mighty pair of 70s glam rock boots. The wean and her friend giggled aloud over the blue glitter and three layers of silver platforms. On mentioning I had a pair just like it in my youth, they stared at me in complete horror. I think I just lost any remnants of my street cred....

:(

Guest onyirtodd

Thank you Rolo.

Recent purchases have included a rather startling set of red 'button on' braces and a pair of sock suspenders 8) :?:

WOW! Do the sock suspenders actually work? Do they not leave a line on your calves like modren day popsocks do to us ladies?

I think braces are sexy as hell, frankly. No idea why.

For those of you further afield I should mention that SSN is a vintage clothing shop in Ruthven Lane. It's like stepping back in time. They have these old-fashioned dept store pull-out drawer units containing scarves, button on braces, gloves, hats, corsets (ugh!), drawers, handbags and old lace hankies and antimaccassars.

Today they had one of those old nylon ruched swimsuits from the 60s... brought back a few memories of the paddling pool at Carnoustie. They also had some fetching gents' woollen swimtrunks, like Charlton Harlton woulda worn in 50s movies. Marvellous!

Guest onyirtodd

WOW! Do the sock suspenders actually work? Do they not leave a line on your calves like modren day popsocks do to us ladies?

Indeed they do work

and look a bit like this socksuspenders.jpg

Yes, they do leave an impression but no worse than the mark socks tight enough to stay up do.

I don't know what's worse, sock marks, droopy socks or no socks at all.

Remember how we all laughed at Don Johnson in Miami Vice when he kicked off the no-sock+ loafer fashion? Only to see it hit the nightspots of Glasgow (like those eejits that used to frequent Charlie Parkers, where I was a lowly student wait-person)....

Come with me now on yet another tangent....

We had a regular wealthy customer who had a rather peculiar peccadillo. Whenever he booked in to the diner, we humble wait-persons had to remove the lightbulb from the lamp above his designated table before he arrived with whatever lady he was wining and dining that night.

Reason was he wore probably the WORST toupe ever woven (I suspect it was knitted by someone's granny in Eastern Europe) and he required complete darkness for fear his companion would notice his screamingly obvious nylon headgear....I kid you not.

To make matters worse, the guy was severely vertically challenged. Imagine a Glasgow version of Joe Pesci and you're getting my drift.

Whenever he arrived, wi a girl several feet taller than himself, we wait-persons regularly had to go hide in the kitchen lest he noticed our snorts of laughter. Childish yes. But necessary....:-)

Reading all your messages has brought back fond memories of going into Glasgow at the weekends, hoping to get a lumber!!

I'm glad to say I was too young for the Locarno though, but I was never away from the White Elephant, the Rooster and Joanna's, does anyway out there remember them or even had a night out there?':P'

Then it was back on the last bus to EK, or a costly taxi fare if you missed the last bus!! Ah, those were happy, fun days. ':wink:'

Anyway, apart from a few "dodgy", well "very dodgy" blokes at the place at the top of Sauchiehall Street, it was usually brilliant. (I can't remember the name of that place either), but there was a big dance hall upstairs and a cosy small disco downstairs where the talent went!! Oh dear, age takes it's toll doesn't it?':roll:

Hopefully someone out there will remember that place and get back to me.

Well, this has been great, going down memory lane, shame the memory is going!!':wink:'

Regards, Bigmags

Anyway, apart from a few "dodgy", well "very dodgy" blokes at the place at the top of Sauchiehall Street, it was usually brilliant. (I can't remember the name of that place either), but there was a big dance hall upstairs and a cosy small disco downstairs where the talent went!! Oh dear, age takes it's toll doesn't it?':roll:

Hopefully someone out there will remember that place and get back to me.

Was never a dance hall goer maself, but I remember going into a place called 'Tiffany's' on Sauchiehall Street just down from Charing Cross a few times.

The other one I remember was the Plaza at Eglington Toll. I think.

(bloody old one foot in grave & other on a banana skin)

Anyway, apart from a few "dodgy", well "very dodgy" blokes at the place at the top of Sauchiehall Street, it was usually brilliant. (I can't remember the name of that place either), but there was a big dance hall upstairs and a cosy small disco downstairs where the talent went!! Oh dear, age takes it's toll doesn't it?:roll:

The Electric Gardens (Now the Garage)?

Guest onyirtodd

Reading all your messages has brought back fond memories of going into Glasgow at the weekends, hoping to get a lumber!!

I'm glad to say I was too young for the Locarno though, but I was never away from the White Elephant, the Rooster and Joanna's, does anyway out there remember them or even had a night out there?':P'

I have many happy memories of The White Elephant. I spent the summer of '72 working as a bouncer there (with occassional shifts at Maesto's, The Muscular Arms, the Savoy and the wee pub up above Jack McPhee's chip shop in Hope Street).

Then it was back on the last bus to EK, or a costly taxi fare if you missed the last bus!! Ah, those were happy, fun days. ':wink:'

I'm reminded of this (from http://discuss.glasgowguide.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=4224 )"Josie asks Francie (pretending to be a wee wummin) if he could walk her home so where did she stay "East Kilbride" came the reply to which Josie says "Jings, its a lumber a want, no a penpal".

At 13, I had a pal in school who's big brother played week nights at the Majestic and we used to hotfoot it down their in our hotpants to see him. I don't remember the name of his band but they were beyond cheesey and always ended the night with Please Stay, barf, barf.

There was also the Cellar in George Squuare and The Revolution in Sauchiehall Street, both of which had really dodgy reputations and being banned from the town by our parents, just made them all the more appealing at that age.

I must admit the Highlanders Institute was much more my thing after the pub - not much of a scene queen I'm afraid :(

I used to hang out at Joanna's too, BigMags.

It was in the basement of where the Albert once stood. The whole place went up in flames one night in the mid 70s, as nightclubs so often seem to do.. :roll: Trying to negotiate the stairs down to it in 6 inch high platforms was aye a challenge, specially in the snow!

How daft we must all have looked,whilst believing we were the bees knees...:-)

Also frequented at the White Elephant, (which became Maestro's? keep me right Onny and Dex) and the Muscular Arms. You probably bounced me out a few times, Onny, for being a tad underage....

For gigs it was the Saints and Sinners, or the Amphora on Saturday lunchtime for the Deans Big Band.

I think Dex is right in surmising the place BigMags means is the Electric Gardens but I can't remember if it later became Tiffany's, or was where the Garage is now.

I've no memory at all of the Rooster; where was that then?

Guest onyirtodd

Maestro's was halfway up Scott Street (now part of CCA) and was previously known as The Maryland and Glasgow Arts Lab. Pink Floyd played one or other of these incarnations in 1969(?)