Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Joeboy

70's, 80's West End Nostalgia Photos...

I could have swore it was across the road from the Partick Library. :roll:

It was, in your previous post you said at Kelvinhall station, which is where the picture that sparked my query was taken.

Have I shown this one before?

People rushing to buy alcohol and cigarettes before the budget prices are implemented at Agnews stores, Byres Road in April 1975

Peoplerushingtobuyalcoholandcigaret.jpg

There's always change at Agnew's :wink:

ashtray behind the advertising materials on the counter :D

Izzat Fran Healy out of Travis wi the beard and the receding hairline?

Actually, woah!.... is there any way to enhance the top left hand corner? I think I might know the lassie behind him (wi the dark hair) from 30 odd years ago.

:roll:

I think I might know the lassie behind him (wi the dark hair) from 30 odd years ago.

You should, ya daft auld bat, its you :wink:

Is that Artoo at the front of the queue :?:

I think the thing missing is the entire black tenement block on the right.

Is that not where the Ashton Rd car park is now?

Used to be when you came up Highburgh Rd to Byres Rd to the lights outsdie Tennents Bar, you had to take a right then a left by the Ruby to get up onto University Avenue, if I recall.

Guest westender

Awww man - BRILLIANT PICTURES!!

Agnews - look at that poor wee wummin in the lower left about to have a brekdoon! Shop staff in Overalls! Goin like a ferr! 'TEN IN!!'

The thing that's missing from the Byres Road pic is the Uni Avenue car park. In the pic, it's occupied by the infinitely preferable row of tenements, subsequently demolished of course.

Modern life is rubbish.

Guest onyirtodd

I think the thing missing is the entire black tenement block on the right.

It's no missin'. It's there. Takes up maist o' the pic.

You should, ya daft auld bat, its you :wink:

Is that Artoo at the front of the queue :?:

Well, if it IS Artoo, he's wayyyyy better looking now than he was then...

As for the dark-haired lass, I am completely spooked out. If it's not me, it's my doppelganger. Totally freaked out here, actually.

The thing thats missing is University Ave along with the car park.

Isn't it amazing how quickly things change?

Guest onyirtodd

Well, if it IS Artoo, he's wayyyyy better looking now than he was then...

As for the dark-haired lass, I am completely spooked out. If it's not me, it's my doppelganger. Totally freaked out here, actually.

The thought crossed my mind too but shirley you'd have been faaaaaaaaaar too young for an offy in those days ;-)

Sadly no, Sir Onny.

I've had another look and it gets spookier by the minute. I have the most horrible feeling it IS me, aged 19.

Is the Agnew's in question the one that used to be on the corner (roughly speaking) at Havelock St and Byres Rd?, on the block where Tinderboax is now?

There's someone here on the board whose known me since I was 12 so I am PMing said person for a second opinion.

I am soooooooo spooked. Hereby lies weirdness indeed.

:roll: :roll: :roll: Argh!

Sadly no, Sir Onny.

I've had another look and it gets spookier by the minute. I have the most horrible feeling it IS me, aged 19.

Is the Agnew's in question the one that used to be on the corner (roughly speaking) at Havelock St and Byres Rd?, on the block where Tinderboax is now?

There's someone here on the board whose known me since I was 12 so I am PMing said person for a second opinion.

I am soooooooo spooked. Hereby lies weirdness indeed.

:roll: :roll: :roll: Argh!

The agnews was indeed on the corner of Havelock St and Byres Rd, site now occupied by Sandalwood, and was next door to ATMays

The beauty of days gone by, I remember a concert I attended on these very steps, a very hippyish affair, large bowls full of brown rice & martini (seperate bowls, Onny) were passed amongst the faithful, they'd never get away wi it these days.

100_5004-1-1.jpg

The beauty of days gone by, I remember a concert I attended on these very steps, a very hippyish affair, large bowls full of brown rice & martini (seperate bowls, Onny) were passed amongst the faithful, they'd never get away wi it these days.

100_5004-1-1.jpg

And Chou Parot canned off stage by the philistineree?

Have I shown this one before?

People rushing to buy alcohol and cigarettes before the budget prices are implemented at Agnews stores, Byres Road in April 1975

Peoplerushingtobuyalcoholandcigaret.jpg

Is that Denis Law in the middle of the picture? What's happening to his snabb? It's melting! :shock:

Edited to add: The poor woman on the left clearly cannot find the cider and Emva Cream combination.