Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
Pat

SNOW

What am I going to do today – no dramatic snowfalls to watch.

So we finally managed to dig the car out last night (huge thank you to the neighbours who just turned up from nowhere to help) and tentatively slewed our way to Asda (based on the multi with the least hills in the way). Only bread like substance was Kirriemuir Ginger Bread  a favourite of everyone's granny. Took it anyway ....and oh yum, had forgotten just how delicious it was. Luckily the booze aisles were well stocked. Tasting note, Kirriemuir Gingerbread is a perfect accompaniment to a decent Port 

The Kirriemuir and Port sounds like a perfect combination. I wasn't over the door for six days.  The car was in an igloo. I thought Jim had gone out or an adventure but he walked part way and then caught a bus – for work.  

It's to be roasting tomorrow – five degrees.

great western road snow.jpg

Was I one of the few people who really enjoyed not being able to go out for four days? First day opened front door and a foot of snow fell in.  Oh, the joy of cancelling visits, talks, meetings!  Got loads of writing done, plus two booklets ready for printers'. Also had a wardrobe clear-out. Lovely to hear the swish as hangers now swing loosely. Has anyone else noticed how clothes shrink when left in a wardrobe for a long time! On the negative side I was appalled to watch neighbours clearing snow so they could get their own cars out but piling snow which made other people's cars even more snowed in. Others merely created large mole hills on the pavements so pedestrians were really stuffed! So inconsiderate. At one time I would have tackled them verbally but not now. One never knows what the response would be. Just daren't risk a physical assault, never mind a verbal one! Similarly on the trains. I once asked people, politely, to remove their  feet from the seats. Not now. Even the ticket man ignores theses people. Did once see a ticket women speak to them... Little respect for others these days?

2 hours ago, maryspetses said:

Was I one of the few people who really enjoyed not being able to go out for four days? First day opened front door and a foot of snow fell in.  Oh, the joy of cancelling visits, talks, meetings!  Got loads of writing done, plus two booklets ready for printers'. Also had a wardrobe clear-out. Lovely to hear the swish as hangers now swing loosely. Has anyone else noticed how clothes shrink when left in a wardrobe for a long time! On the negative side I was appalled to watch neighbours clearing snow so they could get their own cars out but piling snow which made other people's cars even more snowed in. Others merely created large mole hills on the pavements so pedestrians were really stuffed! So inconsiderate. At one time I would have tackled them verbally but not now. One never knows what the response would be. Just daren't risk a physical assault, never mind a verbal one! Similarly on the trains. I once asked people, politely, to remove their  feet from the seats. Not now. Even the ticket man ignores theses people. Did once see a ticket women speak to them... Little respect for others these days?

Don't know how you managed to bite your lip, maryspetses. What a damn cheek. I'm always telling folk off. I'm going to keep doing it. I keep an eye out for queue jumpers.
I wasn't too upset about staying in. Don't have a car and wasn't about to trudge.

Well during my snow clearing frenzy I seemed to pick up a very serious infection in my left leg. Started the Sunday of the 'beast from the East', when I thought I had the flu, to by the Wednesday by which time my left leg was twice its size, purple and black in colour and with a skin texture  similar to a ripe fig. Went from GP to hospital in a matter of hours with what several doctors described as the worst cellulitis they had ever seen.  Two weeks in the Southern General and several gallon of antibiotics has finally seen the infection beaten and I was discharged last week. Still require daily dressing of the leg (which I am lucky to still have attached to me) but fingers crossed everything on the mend.    

On 30/03/2018 at 7:44 AM, samscafeamericain said:

Well during my snow clearing frenzy I seemed to pick up a very serious infection in my left leg. Started the Sunday of the 'beast from the East', when I thought I had the flu, to by the Wednesday by which time my left leg was twice its size, purple and black in colour and with a skin texture  similar to a ripe fig. Went from GP to hospital in a matter of hours with what several doctors described as the worst cellulitis they had ever seen.  Two weeks in the Southern General and several gallon of antibiotics has finally seen the infection beaten and I was discharged last week. Still require daily dressing of the leg (which I am lucky to still have attached to me) but fingers crossed everything on the mend.    

That's dreadful, samsc. Hope you will heal quickly and that you are not in too much pain. I was thinking you were away on holiday. Take care. 

Hope you are improving every day, samsc.  Weather supposed to be warm middle of net week.