Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
maryspetses

Wake up USA

Give teachers guns, Yeh, right.They could make sure they are not seen! Raise the age at which guns can be bought from 18 to 21? It's a mental; problem, not a gun one!  What utter tripe emanates from the mouth of the President of the USA. What's more worrying it's not only tripe it's dangerous tripe.As far as I'm concerned there is a mental problem (possible combined with a financial one - how much did the NRA contribute to T's campaign) Who calls the shots here? The shots that are killing school children with increasing frequency in the USA. The answer is not more guns but fewer. Why not start by banning the sale of all automatic weapons and adapters to the general public. Surly there were only designed for use by the military. Stricter regulations, closer checks, fewer gun shops. The mental problem lies firmly with the President himself. The solution lies with the American people. Get rid of him. He is a President whose only aim in office seems to be undoing all Obama's actions. Oh, and doing what the NRA want.

I refute the argument re the constitution saying every American has the right to carry arms. I do believe that was intended to be appropriate at the time of writing. I am sure the Founding Fathers did not envisaged today's situation. Other 'laws' have been amended. Why not that one? Might one remind the Americans of the preamble to that constitution?

We the people of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

Well said, Mary. The only positive thing I can see in this is that the young people are protesting. They have a lot more common sense and integrity than their President.  What a solution – teachers to carry guns. I wonder how many teachers would be agreeable to that?

What happens should a teacher snap and, God forbid, run amok with a state supplied gun - will the preferred solution to that be to arm the Janitors and Canteen staff?

The  Second Amendment to the Constitution did indeed give all Americans the right to bear arms - those arms at the time were breech loaded single shot rifles, not semi-automatic AR-15 Assault weapons designed for the modern battlefield.   However, no President, not even Obama, was prepared to tackle the problem because this seems to be an issue most Americans seem prepared to live with; after Sandyhook, they did nothing. A nation that can live with that and think the solution is Kevlar back packs, training school children how to run and hide and arming educators is pretty close to being beyond redemption.

I have a glimmer of hope in the young people who have emerged from this latest horror determined to  change the nations attitude to guns. Change to the second amendment can only come from the people, not from the vested interests that reside in Washington DC   

The young people are more sensible. Power to them. Looks as though the crazy idea to arm the teachers might go ahead. 

Was speaking to a friend of mine, over 'there' and married to an American. My perennial question, 'Why don't you get rid of him?' Her reply, 'The law doesn't allow it as yet.' So a President is allowed to be racist, homophobic, a sex pest. If only he could be discovered in illegal wire-tapping.... Surely that would do it.

Seeing now how Trump got in. It's all about the data.