Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
Pat

The New York Times puts Glasgow on list of 'Places to Go'

The New York Times has published a list of places to go in 2018, with 52 suggestions.  Number 1 is New Orleans and Glasgow is number 10.  The only other UK place on the list is Bristol at number 51. 

Hope we'll be getting lots of visitors. :)  http://www.glasgowist.com/glasgow-lands-high-on-new-york-times-52-places-to-go-in-2018-list/

I agree, Brian. Even living in the city, you can enjoy going out exploring. I love a wander around the West End and among my favourite places are Kelvinbridge and Hyndland Sreet going down to Partick, wandering past Cottiers and then at the bottom you can enjoy a browse in Celino's deli and catch a coffee or some lunch.  And I've definitely not seen enough of Finnieston, which has got a real feel good vibe going on. Right now we have three fantastic festivals coming up in Glasgow: Celtic Connections, Glasgow Film Festival and Aye Write!  It's an exciting place to e and people, in general, are pretty friendly.  

Been thinking mibbe in March, still dithering, never been to The Republic but I feel the urge, actually, at this time I am/was trying for the fifth time to read Finnegans Wake, will settle for the introduction. A part of the intro does make me wonder, writer says that writers must pay attention to the market place; the context was in regards to making enough money to live on. Joyce, however, had a patron, not one to make him rich but one who did support him and his family.....oh dear, if I keep on the same path I will be completely off topic,,,,anyway, Ireland perhaps for a week before a couple of weeks in and about Perth.

A word about Glasgow: I was in the Perth Library some years ago, got into a conversation we a lady and Glasgow was talked aboot. The lady had a faraway look in her eye, said that she loved Glasgow, "it's the sort of place you can never be lonely in"....reasonably sure that is a direct quote.....ay tae that, a couple of people showed me around, a wonderful time, good memories and without a doubt I should have given my camera to Robert, he had an eye.

On 18/01/2018 at 6:24 PM, Pat said:

I agree, Brian. Even living in the city, you can enjoy going out exploring. I love a wander around the West End and among my favourite places are Kelvinbridge and Hyndland Sreet going down to Partick, wandering past Cottiers and then at the bottom you can enjoy a browse in Celino's deli and catch a coffee or some lunch.  And I've definitely not seen enough of Finnieston, which has got a real feel good vibe going on. Right now we have three fantastic festivals coming up in Glasgow: Celtic Connections, Glasgow Film Festival and Aye Write!  It's an exciting place to e and people, in general, are pretty friendly.  

Absolutely right Pat. Kelvinbridge and Hyndland Sreet are great places to just spend your day strolling, snacking and shopping. Finnieston has been a favourite of mine since my childhood days.

Imagine that. I used to think it was pretty rough but then discovered The Hidden Lane – that was almost two decades ago. Still love a wander round there. 

On 18/01/2018 at 4:33 PM, tamd said:

Been thinking mibbe in March, still dithering, never been to The Republic but I feel the urge, actually, at this time I am/was trying for the fifth time to read Finnegans Wake, will settle for the introduction. A part of the intro does make me wonder, writer says that writers must pay attention to the market place; the context was in regards to making enough money to live on. Joyce, however, had a patron, not one to make him rich but one who did support him and his family.....oh dear, if I keep on the same path I will be completely off topic,,,,anyway, Ireland perhaps for a week before a couple of weeks in and about Perth.

A word about Glasgow: I was in the Perth Library some years ago, got into a conversation we a lady and Glasgow was talked aboot. The lady had a faraway look in her eye, said that she loved Glasgow, "it's the sort of place you can never be lonely in"....reasonably sure that is a direct quote.....ay tae that, a couple of people showed me around, a wonderful time, good memories and without a doubt I should have given my camera to Robert, he had an eye.

You should definitely try to visit Ireland, Tam. Completely different culture from Scotland. You would enjoy the craic. 

I have wanted to for some time; Parnell, Michael Collins, Brendan Behan, Sheridan, Swift and so many others. Ken Bruen's Jack Taylor has been made into a TV series and I have watched quite a few episodes, so if I do get to Ireland I will surely visit Galway.....will see what the doctor says on Thursday.

Hope the doctor gave you the thumbs up. Galway is a very lively town and not far from the beautiful Connemara.  But we are on the Glasgow - place to go thread. It's ok. I know you've been here, tam. ha ha.