132 replies to this topic

#1 rolo tomassi

rolo tomassi

Joined the family

• Members
  • 8,110 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 09:05 PM

Dalys.

For younger forumers or those whose synapses are totally failed, going towards the West End (and let's face it, it's the only direction to go :lol: ) it was on the left hand side of Sauchie a block north of where the Sauchiehall Centre is now.

It was really rather posh. No pushing and a shovin' there, I worked there Saturdays and holidays as a teenage schoolgirl. I was in Ladies' Dresses for a few months then they moved me to 'Boutique'... all very pretendy Bus Stop wi flashing lights and loud disco muzak...LOL!

We were trained to treat the customer as almost god-like. It really WAS like Are You Being Served.... :lol: We had to call our colleagues Miss, Mrs or Mr (insert surname). :lol: (even in 'Boutique'!)...

One particular woman spent hours every week being 'feted' in all the departments. Her husband, apparently, was in the fur trade. Her name was Mrs Duda. You can imagine the fun we daft schoolie weekend gals had wi' that wan!....

Copeland's I recall being quite like Watt Brothers is now, functional, practical and where we got school uniforms-- but Pettigrew's was my fave as a wee girl. That was quite glam and not as unaffordable as Daly's. They had fashion shows with real mannequins striding down catwalks built through the tearoom.

And when you bought something, the salesperson'd pack the bill and your money in some Heath Robinsonesque contraption that fired the container through pipes with a really loud whoosh, and your receipt came back through said infernal machine about half an hour later.

Trerons, now where was that? Vague reminiscence of Sauchie near Rose St?

I miss Lewis's (now Debenhams) and also Arnotts (at Argyle corner of St Enochs).

Actually I don't miss Arnott's at all, it wasn't very good.

;)
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."

#2 ozneil

ozneil

Joined the family

• Members
  • 8,874 posts
  • Interests:amongst others ...Scotland

Posted 20 December 2008 - 09:46 PM

I remember 2 posey ones One in Buchanan Street next to that overpriced Fish & Chip shop Rowns???? Bought sports stuff there eg rugby shirt.

& A real posey one opposite Central Station corner of Gordon Street & Renfield Street.. no idea of name. .. They hadnae prices in window so I reckonned I couldnt afford to go in.

Oh aye & out door gear in Blacks of Greenock in Hope??? street

Miss Cranstons Restaurant was in Gordon Steet ... cheap lunches!

McColls on Renfield street vile coffee

White Horse Pub opposite Odeon in Renfield street with ramp at door. Bets on who would stagger when going out

Manequin parades in Central Hotel on a Tuesday . We were rennovating a building opposite overlooking models changing rooms. Every Tuesday you couldnt get near windows for workers. Eventually someone twigged & up went curtains .... spoil sports.

Suits from Copelands I think. Bought first pair of gloves I ever owned from there.

#3 HollowHorn

HollowHorn

Joined the family

• Members
  • 9,588 posts
  • Interests:Tea Dances

Posted 21 December 2008 - 12:01 AM

The three-faced clock outside the Copland and Lye department store in Sauchiehall Street/Wellington Street, Glasgow. The clock was given to Milngavie Town Council in 1971 and restored and re-erected in the village centre in 1981.
Photograph taken: 11/01/1971
Posted Image

Original Willow Tea Rooms, Sauchiehall Street in 1903. It was later taken over by Daly's department store then restored and converted back to the Willow Tea Rooms in 1983:
Posted Image

The 'model gown' department of Coplands and Pettigrew's store on the corner of Sauchiehall Street and Wellington Street, 1962:

Posted Image

The trousseau / bridal department in Coplands and Pettigrew's store on the corner of Sauchiehall Street and Wellington Street, 1962:
Posted Image

Ladies checking customers accounts in the account department of Coplands and Pettigrew's store on the corner of Sauchiehall Street and Wellington Street, Glasgow, 1962:
Posted Image

McLellan Galleries, 254-290 Sauchiehall Street, Glasgow
This long three storey classical front was originally built as an art gallery to house the collection of the connoisseur Archibald McLellan, which was bequeathed to the city on his death.

Following the transfer of the collection to Kelvingrove, the building was given shopfronts and a corner dome and opened in 1904 as Trerons' Magasin des Tuileries. New exhibition halls, galleries, and a grand staircase were added eight years later.

The building suffered fire damage in 1986 and the collapse of its corner dome in 1989.
Posted Image

Trerons,Sauchiehall St. 1970:
Posted Image

The general scene of confusion after the scaffolding collapse outside Lewis's store in Glasgow, 1960:
Posted Image

My favourite 'Glasgow' photograph:
Four office girls lounging in the sun on the roof of Lewis's Argyle Street department store with a view of Queen Street in the background, in the late 50s:
Posted Image
Changed back to 'Peace & Love' after reading Snowy's post.

[url="<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/hollowhorn/sets/" target="_blank">http://www.flickr.co...whorn/sets/</a>"]My Phoaties oan Flickr[/url]

#4 rolo tomassi

rolo tomassi

Joined the family

• Members
  • 8,110 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 12:58 AM

The three-faced clock outside the Copland and Lye department store in Sauchiehall Street/Wellington Street, Glasgow. The clock was given to Milngavie Town Council in 1971 and restored and re-erected in the village centre in 1981.
Photograph taken: 11/01/1971
Posted Image

Yeah, that'd fit my memory of where it was, on the site of the now Sauchiehall St centre and opposite where Boots/M&S/HMV is now.

Wellington St (that bit of it) is now pedestrianised up between Sauchie and Bath St as far as Sarti's then continues down as it aye did to Argyle St.

Didn't know that about the clock, HH, can't recall the last time I was in Mullguy, I mean if you don't live there, why would you? :lol: Unless you're going for the start of the West Highland Way of course. And why would you?

:lol:
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."

#5 HollowHorn

HollowHorn

Joined the family

• Members
  • 9,588 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 01:04 AM

can't recall the last time I was in Mullguy, I mean if you don't live there, why would you? :lol: Unless you're going for the start of the West Highland Way of course. And why would you?

Or unless of course, you were shopping for food & tights? :lol:

[url="<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/hollowhorn/sets/" target="_blank">http://www.flickr.co...whorn/sets/</a>"]My Phoaties oan Flickr[/url]

#6 Pat

Pat

Sitting on my favourite seat

• Root Admin
  • 19,407 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 01:06 AM

Fab photies, HH.

Rolo, you describe Daly's perfectly. I used to meet my aunties there for tea and fresh cream meringues. The place seemed just sumptuous to me.

The same aunties loved the china department in Trerons - I seem to remember it being a bit further West than Rose Street.

I started working in Glasgow, when I was sixteen, we worked half day on Saturdays and got paid when we stopped at lunchtime. Then a wee gang of us wouldour trot down to Lewis's. We all wore the same dark tan Lentheric makeup and that was the place where you could buy it. We liked trying out the perfumes - the favourite being Estée Lauder Youth Dew - very potent!

We didn't buy our clothes there but, when we could afford it, shopped in Wallis. When we were a bit skint it was C & A. You needed to be in fashion for the Dennistoun Palais. :lol:
This is me since yistirday.

#7 ozneil

ozneil

Joined the family

• Members
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 01:10 AM

Great Pics as always HH ! Thanks!

#8 rolo tomassi

rolo tomassi

Joined the family

• Members
  • 8,110 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 01:13 AM

I'll set em up, you knock em in HH!

Now back to department stores.

I miss Lewis's because there's no bliddy place in town to get yer shoes repaired pronto these days. Wean ventured into Timps*ns down Byres last week to get her boots heeled, told it'd take a week and cost £14. WHIT?

Used to be you could pitch up in Lewis's basement with all manner of dishevelled heels or soles and sit on a big eff-off stool while the manny (in a brown coat like George's) a-chiselled and a-hammered away at yer footwear with some horrible sounding machines to make yer shoes look like new.

'Cept they always ended up looking total shite. The mannies did that buffering thang that made the heels go all discoloured and the stapled-on heels were aye wonky, you walked funny for months after cos wan heel was higher than the other.

NO?

#9 Pat

Pat

• Root Admin
  • 19,407 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 12:09 PM

I'll set em up, you knock em in HH!

Now back to department stores.

I miss Lewis's because there's no bliddy place in town to get yer shoes repaired pronto these days. Wean ventured into Timps*ns down Byres last week to get her boots heeled, told it'd take a week and cost £14. WHIT?

Used to be you could pitch up in Lewis's basement with all manner of dishevelled heels or soles and sit on a big eff-off stool while the manny (in a brown coat like George's) a-chiselled and a-hammered away at yer footwear with some horrible sounding machines to make yer shoes look like new.

'Cept they always ended up looking total shite. The mannies did that buffering thang that made the heels go all discoloured and the stapled-on heels were aye wonky, you walked funny for months after cos wan heel was higher than the other.

NO?

:lol: ;) I remember the heel bar perfectly, Rolo. I can smell the glue - maybe that's where I got my kicks.
But not a patch on the Clydebank Cobbler and great chanter - Eddie Reid. He was much more careful with the kitten heels.

I think the skill of stilletoe and huge platform walking has been lost. I can't cope anymore myself but these shoes were never considered 'car to bar' in the good old days. They could take you everywhere, including the dancefloor. Although, I think we also bought our Hush Puppies in Lewis' during the Mod phase.

#10 samscafeamericain

samscafeamericain

Joined the family

• Administrators
  • 5,953 posts
  • Interests:wide and varied, like a drunk fat person

Posted 21 December 2008 - 12:40 PM

Any pictures of the Old Boots (or Dissy corner as it was called) :lol:
The reasonable expectations of honest men must be protected.

'Fiat justitia ruat caelum'

#11 notanimby

notanimby

Joined the family

• Members
  • 7,348 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 07:21 PM

Being an out of toonner my memories of glesga dept stores is slightly diffrint.
Lewis's wiz ma favourite as a wean, espeshullae ra smells inra basement food hall, ah always got ma biffday cake oot there, in the shape ovra number furr how old a wiz
I also remember goin tae see Santa in there tae, goin up onra escalaturs and ra lifts wae ra wee man they hud tae operate them.

Ah aslso remember in aroon 1980 buyin a perr of 501s oota Millets in Union St, buyin as advised byra wummin in there 2 sizes to big cozrae shrink inra bath(they wurr a fiver furra perr as they couldnae shift them as thuis wiz before they became fashunaul again) ah sat inra baff furr 3 hrs, came oot took them aff, legs hd dyed bloo, put them inra tumbul drier, tried them on and they hudnae shrunk attaw :lol:

HA remeber goldbergs tae, gettin dragged roon the shop by an assortment of wummin rellies of a saturday efternoon

#12 HollowHorn

HollowHorn

Joined the family

• Members
  • 9,588 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 09:31 PM

Strange that no-one has mentioned 'Goldberg's' yet.

#13 ozneil

ozneil

Joined the family

• Members
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 11:22 PM

Wylie Hills Still around & the argylle arcade??

Bought Engagenent ring in Hendersons jewellers in it.

#14 HollowHorn

HollowHorn

Joined the family

• Members
  • 9,588 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 11:29 PM

The Acrade is still thriving, In fact I was in 'Sloans' the other day, reputed to be the oldest surviving 'Coach House' in Glasgow. Have you been there?

#15 ozneil

ozneil

Joined the family

• Members
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 11:32 PM

The Acrade is still thriving, In fact I was in 'Sloans' the other day, reputed to be the oldest surviving 'Coach House' in Glasgow. Have you been there?

Rings a bell not sure.

Used to go pub/restaurant In Argylle St "His Lordships larder??????"

#16 Pat

Pat

• Root Admin
  • 19,407 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 11:36 PM

Rings a bell not sure.

Used to go pub/restaurant In Argylle St "His Lordships larder??????"

Haven't heard of that one, Oz, but Sloans is very interesting.

Ah, Goldbergs. I think you needed some sort of card to shop there. I was in the shop a few times with different friends. It was huge and something a bit odd about it.

#17 HollowHorn

HollowHorn

Joined the family

• Members
  • 9,588 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 11:47 PM

the argylle arcade??

There is a song called "The Gallant Hussar" that used to be sung in the Gallowgate on Saturday nights, which must have been made about a young lady who dwelt in one of these houses about the time the 15th Hussars were in Glasgow, who drilled in the King's Park, Glasgow, opposite these mansions. This regiment was banished to India from Glasgow for bad behaviour. Sir Walter Scott's son was their Colonel. It was the officers who were the most frolicsome. One of them for a wager rode through the Argyle Arcade on horseback, and another rode into Duncan's, in Buchanan Street, and ordered a glass of wine at the counter.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#18 maggs

maggs

maggs

• Members
  • 4,472 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 12:02 AM

Before leaving school we were allowed to go out and do a work trialI choose retailandworked in Lewis's oneday a week on the haberdashery counter, loved it. seemed to have a smell of it's own, I felt very grown up, then my other store was C & A Argyle street, loved that to. I recall a Pettigrew and Stephens, is that the same shop the Pettigrews you mention Rolo
Be happy while you're living, For you're a long time dead

#19 ozneil

ozneil

Joined the family

• Members
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 12:09 AM

Intersting HH always like these little snippets of history abouy places.

His Lordships Larder if that was the name was on North Side of Argylle steet Just on East side of Heilanmans umbrella. West of Union Street

#20 HollowHorn

HollowHorn

Joined the family

• Members
  • 9,588 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 12:17 AM

HA remeber goldbergs tae

Sorry, Nottafootballfan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users