Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End

Masterplan for University of Glasgow

With the acquisition of the Western Infirmary there are some major new changes taking place at the University of Glasgow. Not only a massive expansion but a new 21st century way of doing things. Very exciting.
The plans are on exhibition at the Wolfson Medical Centre, University Avenue G12  http://www.glasgowwestend.co.uk/university-of-glasgow-plans-for-a-world-changing-campus/

• 3 weeks later...

I got along to see this. I did not realize it was going to be so expensive although I should have as the Western Infirmary took up quite a big. I was able to speak to one of the planners and we talked about the area down at Church Street where there is an old swimming pool and disused building but that is owned by the Council. It would have been good if they had been part of the whole scheme.

It is, indeed and it was in that very pool that I had my school swimming lessons.... it was hideous and absolutely freezing.

I have fond memories of the Western Infirmary.  I worked there for a while helping to transfer their card index medical records on their first computer system.  It was a job creation scheme run by the very scary Miss McBride.  Is the whole hospital going?  If so, where will the nearest A&E be?

There's a massive new hospital over at the Southern General. It's supposed to be called the Queen Elizabeth but I've yet to hear anyone call it anything other than the Southern.

The whole of the Western has been taken over by the University. The plans are very ambitious and will change the whole area.

I feel that too, harper. There are loads of wee buses go through the tunnel. I visited someone in hospital there for a couple of months and it was fairly easy to get to and never had to wait for a bus but definitely not so handy as popping down to the Western. Probably worse for people in other parts of town. Could be tricky for people further best, who would probably use the Erskine Bridge – it can be closed if there are high winds.