Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
lynnski

Finnieston and The Hidden Lane

lynnski    0

I did a quick search on the forum for 'hidden lane' but mostly found very old topics about specific events happening in the lane rather than about the lane itself. I thought I'd start a topic about it, plus the area it's in, Finnieston. It's an area that's 'on the up', as some regeneration and new businesses have helped this once pretty bleak part of the West End become a niche wee place.

The Lane itself is full of lots of pokey wee old buildings, some painted quite brightly, which house artists studios and workshops, small shops and suchlike. It's full of stained glass and is lovely to look at, especially on a sunny day (whenever we get one!) If you go right up to the left hand side of the lane you have the Hidden Lane Tearoom which do some rather outstanding cakes, sandwiches and teas. They also do a high tea option which I'm hoping to check out soon! Across the courtyard from the Tearoom is The New Hellfire Club, which isn't a club, or a bar, but a record shop. It's a tiny wee place but does gigs, I do believe our own Jim Byrne has played there at least once? ;)

Once I work out how to I'm gonna post some pictures. Anyone else got any info on the lane or Finnieston itself? I'm going to look for some historical photos too to show the changes, before the motorway, SECC, Skypark etc etc.

Pat    0

Love The Hidden Lane, and some very interesting artisans, including the fabulous Shona Fidgett and artist, Jim Lambie, who was shortlisted for the Turner Prize.

The Hidden Lane Cafe is great and Jim launched his first acoustic album: On These Dark Nights, at the cafe, http://www.glasgowwestend.co.uk/whatson/jimbyrnemusiccdlaunch.php

He's also played there at other gigs.  I also met there with the resurrected Hobsbaum Group, of Glasgow writers,  but he's never played at The New Hellfire Club – not yet.

Another fantastic Finnieston based artists is Andy Peutherer – recently behind the launch of Children and the Arts  http://www.glasgowwestend.co.uk/give-art-glasgow-children-and-the-arts/

'Andy Peutherer of Scottish Landscape Painting has teamed up with with Greater Maryhill Foodbank & Art Retail Network to launch a city wide campaign to provide art supplies and creative materials to children and young people who rely on food banks.'

Finnieston has some amazing restaurants including The Finnieston and Crabshak and it has become a very vibrant and happening area of the city.

lynnski    0

DSCF4712.JPG

DSCF4713.JPG

DSCF4715.JPG

DSCF4717.JPG

DSCF4724.JPG

That's some of the colourful buildings down the lane :) And now, some exciting news! As of January I'll be a Hidden Lane resident! I'm moving into a studio with 3 other crafters in this building:

DSCF4718.JPG

lynnski    0

I'll be taking many more Veronica, don't worry :D I'm moving stuff into into the studio this week and should be open for business the week after. 

lynnski    0

Some of the photos are actually quite out of date now! I've taken advantage of the sunshine to take some more :) The first picture is a wee lane within the Lane, down next to the Tearoom which you can see in picture 2. Looking down the Lane from the Tearoom going towards the Lane entrance/exit you can *just* see my building, with the orange windows, and the flowery painted door is on the first building on your left when you come in the Lane. Hopefully we'll be getting something similar on our door too soon :)

2016-03-04 17.35.37.jpg

2016-03-04 17.35.54.jpg

2016-03-04 17.36.15.jpg

2016-03-04 17.36.54.jpg

lynnski    0

And of course Finnieston IS the 'hippest place to live', apparently!

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/14342131.Which_part_of_Glasgow_has_been_named_the_hippest_place_to_live_in_Britain_/?ref=fbshr

I like working here but I think I'd rather live in Partick too  :)  This pic is of 'The Stable Yards' opposite the Tearoom. There's a recording studio (La Chunky Studios) and the record shop I mentioned, New Hellfire Club is the grey building to the right.

2016-03-18 13.18.35.jpg

Pat    0

There's a thread already up on that topic in th General Chat.  Great photos. :)

lynnski    0

Thanks Rory! :) It's going fairly well so far, still a bit quiet but it's early days yet. Thank you Pat :) Yeah I hadn't realised that thread was up until after I'd posted the link here.

There's a couple of new businesses in the lane now and we're hoping to reinstate the Hidden Lane Festival later this year. Watch this space ;)

rory    0

I went to the Hidden Lane Festival. It was part of the West End Festival but I never think of Finnieston as part of the West End. I will come along again if there is another one.