Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
Pat

PM Question Time

Pat    0

Such an absolute farce with Cameron distributing questions for his followers to ask before hand. All the embarrassing banter, guffaws and tit for tatting. Wonder if Corbyn will have any impact on the embarrassing show?

Pat    0

I thought it went pretty well – not quite so much guffawing and Cameron only let his red necked temper out of control once.  Smart move by Corbyn choosing from the 40,000 emails he received with questions for the PM.  Including concerns about tax credits, Cameron swiftly dismissed this saying that people will be £20 a week better off. What chance have you got when the Prime Minister blatantly lies through his teeth.

Other questions thrown up related to Housing issues and Mental Health.  According to Cameron everything is going ahead just perfectly. 

Andrew Neil picked up on the housing question on Daily Politics and harangued the Tory, no idea who he was, on the absolute failure of the Government to build the houses needed. Still way behind the number of social houses built by Labour when they were last in power.  

Corbyn was under attack from the DUP regarding McDonnells attitude towards members of Sinn Feinn. Guess that was to be expected.

But none of this has quenched the absolute shock horror in the papers ad on the news at Corbyn's not singing the National Anthem. 

Pat    0

Some are arguing that it gives Cameron an opportunity to lay out his policies and makes him look good.  Not a lot of challenges with all the ready made questions but still a refreshing change.   I hope he keeps it up.

Pat    0

I think he's sincere too, Veronica. I think he would be more sincere singing Bandiera Rossa than God Save The Queen. The media certainly pounced on it as an opportunity to berate him.

The same press leading the attack on his dignified silence were waiting to lead the attack on him being a hypocrite if he did sing it, indeed the SUN had already gone down that road in the morning 

Pat    0

I really like John McDonnell. Clearly a man with some vision, willing to work out of the box and capable of displaying humility.  I loved his swim through vomit speech a few months back: 

Edited by Pat

Pat    0

The silly Telegraph journalist was a pain but Sandi Toksvig is great. I laughed at her saying that given the scale of the obesity problem they should change the national anthem to Food Glorious Food. ha ha

Pat    0

He was helluva pompous. I don't know where they dug him up. Made a bit of a mistake taking Alex Salmond on – more practised at the cut and thrust.

Veronica    0

See the member of the audience who gave the Tories pelters about tax credits has been on telly. You don't often see that and she was helluva upset and totally correct.

She was happy to vote tory in the knowledge that they were going to attack the welfare state and kick the poorest and weakest in society.  She voted tory in the knowledge they were going to continue to run down the NHS and strip billions out of public services.

She is only bleating because some of the tory cuts are now affecting the middle classes and her in particular.  Sorry, she gets nil sympathy from me 

Pat    0

To be fair, samc, we have no way of knowing what class she is and I think that if she is struggling to survive then that doesn't indicate that she is well off.

I really don't think that everyone who voted Tory did so with the full understanding of how they operate.  Although, I can't understand why so many did vote for them. She's certainly regretting it now.

Pat    0

I saw this from Billy Bragg on Facebook. I think he's got a point:

'Very powerful expression of the reality of what the government's tax credit cuts mean to working people from last night's Question Time. This woman states at the very beginning that she voted Tory because Cameron promised not to cut child tax credits. Now she feels betrayed. I urge you not to say you have no sympathy for her because she voted Conservative, not only because that would make you sound like a Tory, but because she, like millions of other working class people ,has been lied to by the Tories and their media machine.

If it hopes to win in 2010, the Labour Party needs to be offering this woman and those like her real solutions to their predicament. Condemning her for believing what a politician told is not helpful, to her or to those of us who wish to defeat the Tories.'

I have to disagree with Billy Bragg.  She voted Tory knowing what they would do to millions of her fellow citizens but did so anyway 'because they promised not to cut her child tax credits'.   She shed no tears about people being thrown out of their homes under that vile bedroom tax, she shed no tears for the people driven to suicide by Tory welfare cuts and she shed no tears for the destruction of our public services.  She made her bed. 

tig    0

She was happy to vote tory in the knowledge that they were going to attack the welfare state and kick the poorest and weakest in society.  She voted tory in the knowledge they were going to continue to run down the NHS and strip billions out of public services.

She is only bleating because some of the tory cuts are now affecting the middle classes and her in particular.  Sorry, she gets nil sympathy from me 

although that is a bit harsh i am in full agreement with you sam.

she got what she voted for and sometime the im all right jack attitude come back and bites you in the face.

by her admitting she voted tory shows she never had sympathy for those affected so why should we have sympathy for her.

Pat    0

I agree about the I'm alright Jack, however, if you are taken in by Tory rhetoric of being the party of working people you might very well vote for them.  There has also been so much media coverage praising the 'strivers' and criticising 'scroungers.' that many have been brain washed at every turn.  I don't blame people for this.  I may think that they are foolish to believe this but I can understand why so many of them do.  There is a powerful machine at work very focused on selling a message that worked in gaining Tory votes.

It looks as though many of them will now be asking questions, like the woman on Question Time. 

I'm going to put up a new thread on Tax Credits as that's what we seem to be talking about.

Here's the link: http://www.glasgowwestend.co.uk/yabbse/index.php?/topic/9901-tax-credits/

Pat    0

Corbyn did well today. Asking Cameron six times to assure the House that no-one would lose out on the tax credit cuts.  He couldn't give an answer.  A bad day for the Tories and they really come over as despicable when jeering at questions being read out on behalf of members of the public.  That really is low. 

He was quite lucid and reasoned during the day in radio interviews, etc

Either being that close to Nigel forced him over the edge or maybe he was too liberal with the freebies in the green room 

Pat    0

Terrible Question Time. Eddie Izzard and Nigel Farage were puerile and what a silly woman. I've forgotten her name already – my brain is protecting itself but I do remember her explaining how the EU directed the UK on how their rebate was to be spent.  Is it The Telegraph she writes for?

harper    0

Question Time back with a bang and a right old ding between Alastair Campbell and John McDonnell which spilled over to the green room after the show by all accounts ...

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/youre-f-snarling-row-between-john-mcdonnell-alastair-campbell-after-question-1581707

Strikes me that there is not an a*** between them ...

Pat    0

Just watched this tonight, harper.  I would have quite liked Joanna Cherry to punch Anna Soubry on the nose.   Seems to me she was the one who started the aggressiveness and David D should never have allowed it to get so out of hand. He was clearly enjoying Soubry's attack on John McDonnell, although, she had nothing to back it up.

Seems that everyone loves Jeremy, though.