Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
Veronica

Pubs

The Halt Bar is unrecognisable; Now another one of these posh diners. Looks like a German theme. Just heard that The Doublet is up for sale. It's one of the few traditional pubs left in the West End. The Quiz Night locals must be sick.

Sighs... gone are the day, Canny Lass. I very rarely go into pubs these days. The prices are atrocious and I can't hear anything above the din of music - usually crap music at that....

Supposed to be heading for the Lauriston tonight – in the south side. You get a cup of tea and a wee plate of biscuits for a pound.

The Gorbals is a different ball game and the East End and the North. Not a gastropub in sight. Still a few dodgy drinking holes about.

You wonder about pubs that were so popular that disappear. Remember Burns' Howff? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burns_Howff

The Muscular Arms http://www.oldglasgowpubs.co.uk/musculararms.html

Charlie Parkers http://www.oldglasgowpubs.co.uk/charlieparkersexchange.html

Popular places in the seventies.

I remember Langs before it became the muscular arms.It was virtually a mens' club,and bowler hatted at that.It was as if every banker,solicitor and accountant emptied in there at 1p.m. for a liquid lunch and a pie.The old buffers must have died with their rolled umbrellas up when it became the Muscular Arms.From an elitist throwback,to a pop art interiore-d posing pouch.The old brigade swept away overnight and decamping to Roganos..I must say the" Musculars'"inside should have been listed and preserved, as it was the most perfect Pop Art example of it's kind,including everything from half a car embedded in the walls,to the giant mens' shirt in a box.We had never seen it's like before.

The Gay Gordon was lovely,and very traditionally tartan, and even more tartan,but not in a Fran and Anna pastiche sort of way.The food and dancing facility were good,and it had a great clientele .It was comical to watch the restaurant empty at around 9.30. on a Saturday night,when everyone rushed home to watch a brand new satirical news show called That Was The Week That Was,which started at 10p.m..This was a first! A show that didn't doff it's hat to the establishment,and "know it's place"It was headed up by David Frost,young,sharp and irreverent,long before he became part of the very establishment he lampooned.They had a go at everyone,dare I say even royalty! I think the Gay Gordons' owners were delighted when the series finished and they could get the tills filled again right up to closing time.

I remember Langs before it became the muscular arms.It was virtually a mens' club,and bowler hatted at that.It was as if every banker,solicitor and accountant emptied in there at 1p.m. for a liquid lunch and a pie.The old buffers must have died with their rolled umbrellas up when it became the Muscular Arms.From an elitist throwback,to a pop art interiore-d posing pouch.The old brigade swept away overnight and decamping to Roganos..I must say the" Musculars'"inside should have been listed and preserved, as it was the most perfect Pop Art example of it's kind,including everything from half a car embedded in the walls,to the giant mens' shirt in a box.We had never seen it's like before.

The Gay Gordon was lovely,and very traditionally tartan, and even more tartan,but not in a Fran and Anna pastiche sort of way.The food and dancing facility were good,and it had a great clientele .It was comical to watch the restaurant empty at around 9.30. on a Saturday night,when everyone rushed home to watch a brand new satirical news show called That Was The Week That Was,which started at 10p.m..This was a first! A show that didn't doff it's hat to the establishment,and "know it's place"It was headed up by David Frost,young,sharp and irreverent,long before he became part of the very establishment he lampooned.They had a go at everyone,dare I say even royalty! I think the Gay Gordons' owners were delighted when the series finished and they could get the tills filled again right up to closing time.

Absolutely agree about the decor of the Muscular Arms, willie. It was really something.

I don't remember the Gay Gordon but I do remember That Was The Week That Was - very cutting edge at the time.

I worked in The State Bar, which is still going strong and in The Albany Hotel long gone but it was a lot of fun as we got to meet a lot of celebs and got tickets to shows at the Apollo.

I knew the guys who did that, one in particular - and the Single' End. I remember Charlie Parker's being a right posey place. I was more hippy dippy that scene queen and much more at home in the Ragamuffen and the Curlers. I knew the Howff quite well, too - always struck me as being really rough - on account of the one and only near razor attack I ever witnessed in Glasgow.

Where was the Gay Gordons?

soon need to go abroad to experience a tradition Scottish pub (themed).

For several year I worked in the Rock Bar on Hyndland road as a part time barman. I worked the lounge rather than mix with the riffraff in the bar. Used to have a doorman who would turn a blind eye to underage people getting in but threw a canary if you were wearing a bikers leather jacket.

The Gay Gordon is currently Di Maggios in Royal Exchange Sq.,and in prev.incarnations,Charlie Parkers' which was so posey it was sore.

I was sitting in a cafe in Great Western Rd only last week, looking over to the old Ragamuffins site,and had a wee clutch of nostalgia in the pit of my stomach.Turned out to be trapped wind,but the memories were real.

The old pubs sound great. The Halt has been totally transformed beyond all recognition. I still go to the Rock sometimes when they have a band on. OranMor is probably the busiest pub in the west end.

And I shall say for the umpteenth that Oran Mor used to be my Sunday school and I used to catch wee ladybirds on the posts where they now perch their beer... :rolleyes:

And I shall say for the umpteenth that Oran Mor used to be my Sunday school and I used to catch wee ladybirds on the posts where they now perch their beer... :rolleyes:

Must be weird going in there. Maybe get an urge to say a wee prayer. :)

I only went to collect the wee picture stamps in my attendance book and I suspect it was considered free babysitting by the folks. We eventually defected round the corner to Hillhead Baptist Church in Cranworth Street, which as far as I am aware has not been turned into a gastro pub.... yet.

I only went to collect the wee picture stamps in my attendance book and I suspect it was considered free babysitting by the folks. We eventually defected round the corner to Hillhead Baptist Church in Cranworth Street, which as far as I am aware has not been turned into a gastro pub.... yet.

Hillhead Baptist Church still going strong. They have quite a lot of community events. I love Kelvinside Hillhead Parish Church – it's a beauty.

Looks like we've taken a leap from pubs to churches. :)

When we were young girls we used to go to The Horseshoe for lunch. Some of my friends worked in Bus Stop – just round the corner in Union Street. It was a great deal. We particularly loved the trifle. They had a big plate of pan bread and butter that you could help yourself at no extra cost. Some homeless people would come in and have just the bread and butter.

I see the restaurant at the entrance to Gartnavel has changed hands again and going to be a Gastro Bar Restaurant. It never seems to do well.

I see the restaurant at the entrance to Gartnavel has changed hands again and going to be a Gastro Bar Restaurant. It never seems to do well.

Yes, funny how you get these spots, rory.  Another place that always seemed ill fated was the old bank at the bottom of Byres Road.  It's had numerous owners and themes.  I think it is currently an extension of Tony Macaroni.  Will be interesting to see how the Great Western Road establishment fares this time round.

Just to reassure residents and visitors to the West End that the Doublet is largely unchanged under the new ownership.   The range of drinks is actually better - even wider choice of whiskies, large range of designer gins, several guest and craft beers that are attracting a younger (but not that young!) clientele.   There's background music in the bar but it is background, and suitably 'mature' to suit codgers like me and the younger crowd.   Bar staff are superb and can (and do) converse on everything from crosswords to computers - so even if it's quiet, there's always someone to chat to.   Turn up more than once and you're likely to be addressed by your first name, and offered 'same again?'   No food served any more but tea and coffee (and wee biscuits) are available.   Quiz nights also continue, but fortnightly rather than weekly.

I've no financial interest in the Doublet (other than a one way flow of finance) but about 25 years ago I described it as the 'last, best, traditional bohemian pub in the West End'.   I stand by that;  in fact, I'll be in there in about three hours!

4 hours ago, rdt2 said:

Just to reassure residents and visitors to the West End that the Doublet is largely unchanged under the new ownership.   The range of drinks is actually better - even wider choice of whiskies, large range of designer gins, several guest and craft beers that are attracting a younger (but not that young!) clientele.   There's background music in the bar but it is background, and suitably 'mature' to suit codgers like me and the younger crowd.   Bar staff are superb and can (and do) converse on everything from crosswords to computers - so even if it's quiet, there's always someone to chat to.   Turn up more than once and you're likely to be addressed by your first name, and offered 'same again?'   No food served any more but tea and coffee (and wee biscuits) are available.   Quiz nights also continue, but fortnightly rather than weekly.

I've no financial interest in the Doublet (other than a one way flow of finance) but about 25 years ago I described it as the 'last, best, traditional bohemian pub in the West End'.   I stand by that;  in fact, I'll be in there in about three hours!

Thanks very much for the lowdown, rdt2.  I've sampled the tea and biscuits – a real treat and agree that the staff are very friendly, efficient and courteous.

I've been in a couple of times and upstairs was closed?