Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
samscafeamericain

Happy Birthday Rabbie

Happy Burns Day. How are you celebrating? Hope you've got the haggis in. Jim is playing at a Burns' themed gig tonight and tomorrow I am having Burns Brunch tomorrow at Stravaigin.

Send the tourist up here where they're meant to be, harper.

Its becoming a bigger and better event in Scotland. Its being ripped from the deathly clutches of the masonic halls and taken up by folks with no secrets

I've had my busiest Burns' celebration ever. Today I enjoyed the fabulous Burns Brunch at Stravaigin. The food was wonderful, definitely the tastiest haggis ever and great atmosphere set by Johnnie Gauld (sometimes known as the Caledonian Cowboy), his toast to the haggis, pipe playing and jokes were all brilliant.

Also enjoyed the Burns' themed gig at the Roxy last night, where Martin Stephenson, Scott McDonald and gang were in fine form. Jim also played, although, his only connection to Jim was the surname Byrne!

On Wednesday I went along to St Louis Literary Festival in Thornwood, Partick. A great night with the highlight being Rab Wilson, the Ayrshire Poet's reading of a poem by John McGarrigle, victim of The Clutha tragedy.

Humanitarian Bombing by John McGarrigle:

HUMANITARIAN BOMBING

Bombing is good for you
It's been scientifically proven to be true
That bombings really good for you !
It's even better than Barr's Irn Bru !
It's extremely exhilleratin,
and totally, positively, humanitarian.
So there you are, it's definitely true
That bombing is really good for you
It's a sure cure for constipation
And better by far than senocot
Coz bombing makes you run a lot
It's really, really true.
Bombing is good for you !
Take a wee near miss
before you toddle off to work
and you'll be running all day
It helps you work rest and play
Yes ! Bombing is good for you !
And isn't it really reassuring to know
That they're cruising on their way,
Those nice well meaning young men
In their B52s and their big stealth bombers
With their bunker busters and their daisy cutters
Yes ! It's true. Bombing is good for you !
And it really improves your living conditions
No more need to fear the dust mites !
Or worry about the rising damp'
Asthma will be the least of your worries
Coz bombing works better than a dozen curries !
Yes ! Bombing is good for you !
No more blocked drains or leaky taps.
And you'll be rid of those anti social chaps
That used to live next door.
Bombing is good for you !
I'm getting fed up saying.
You'll no believe it until you've tried it
And you don't know what your missin
It's a wee bit like kissin, for the very first time
A stick of dynamite wi a lit fuse'
But as far as i'm concerned
It doesn't sound very convincing
In fact it's a f******g farce
So why don't you try some yourself dear Tony
And stick your humanitarian bombing
Right up your arse.

John McGarrigle

Did two Immortal Memories this year, two Addresses to the Haggis, and one Tam O'Shanter. Two proper gigs and our annual do at a someone's palatial home. Highlights: flautist Susan Winsberg reciting "To a Mouse" flawlessly and with feeling; Gordon Duncan's "Thunderstruck" to usher in a haggis; a fabulous haggis cooked inside a crispy chicken skin (sheep's stomach illegal in California; scattered cheers at a mention of a Referendum Yes vote. Lowlights: a guest at a formal in shorts and teeshirt; three women who had never heard of Burns; a male guest wearing a broadsword, with his kilt on backwards.

Is it just me, or is Burns just getting bigger every year?

Its definitely getting bigger each year, and fresher. Over here, its getting wrapped up in the Celtic Music scene which is bringing it added vibrancy. Love the image of the broadsword and the kilt on back to front, no doubt in the great tradition of Robert the Bruce, to confuse the enemy as to whether you are coming or going

Ha ha. Sounds like you had the highs and lows of Burns, Sgriob. I would say it's definitely getting bigger. I never heard a Tam O'Shanter though and that's my favourite.

That is a great poem Pat. Very sad for his family. He was a talented man. Tonitght will be my third haggis dinner. It is sore on the digestion but very tasty.

I did the Tam o' Shanter without translation or apology. One chap said he understood every fourth word. Some said they were amazed at my memory. (Must be a culture thing; my pal Colm from Cork can recite half a dozen Shakespeare sonnets and scads of Yeats and Merriman, all reinforced, in his youth, by the tawse.)

At least my American friends can say they heard it once. And they now know the origin of the wee hat with the bobble, a mediocre brand of blended whisky and the reason why the figurehead of the Cutty Sark is a bare bosomed lassie clutching a mop head.

When she read "is it me or Burns getting bigger every year?" Mrs Sgriob made an insensitive remark. I do think my kilt has shrunk a bit, however.

I'm sure you had a better night than the one described by John Barrowman, Sgriob. I'd be joining the 'snarling curs'.

He's wrong, I'm afraid. Burns hated inequality and class privilege. A Yes vote would nullify the privileged, narrow, inhumane world view of the Westminster crowd, wi their ribands, stars and a' that.

What planet is he on -and is that mauve lipstick?

I can't identify with any of this kind of Scottish stuff. ... Seriously.. who speaks like that?

What planet is he on -and is that mauve lipstick?

Not mauve dear, Passion Plum. Coral pink would have been soooooo wrong with that jaiket.

Not mauve dear, Passion Plum. Coral pink would have been soooooo wrong with that jaiket.

Could be a match for our new Commonwealth Tartan. When did tan and pink ever make a good combination.http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/commonwealth-games/25766330

Should have saved the money and gone with one of our fabulous traditional tartans, Royal Stuart/Stewart

http://www.tartanregister.gov.uk/tartanDetails.aspx?ref=3958