Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
Pat

Doris Lessing R.I.P.

The author died aged 95. Her publisher spoke very warmly of her on BBC News and how she was more interested in discussing the other authors he was publishing than talking about her own work. Fairly unusual I would say.

That's a blow. Lessing looked like everybody's Granny but wrote like a demon. The Golden Notebook was compulsory reading for all buddying feminists when I was a gal but I never actually met anyone who read it.

I read the fifth child fairly recently and it was very good though quite disturbing. It's about a happily married couple who seem to be living a charmed life until the birth of their fifth child who is portrayed as some kind of demon-child. He tears the family apart and it's very interesting to see how the mother desperately tries to love him and keep everything together. It left me feeling very uneasy.

As I said, Gayle - she looked like everybody's granny in her latter years but if you read anything about her life, she was anything but light weight or cozy.

(Great to see you back. I hope you and your family are well:))

Thanks Harper! The family are really well - the girls are 9 & 10 now and nearly as tall as me...I'm teaching full time now so not as much head space to add to discussions but I like to pop in every now and then and see what you are all talking about :)

I suppose you are all bracing for the winter now? We've had a wet spring and not that warm but today is expected to be over 30 degrees in Melbourne so summer has officially arrived on cue.