Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
Sgriob

Russell Brand

Russell Brand has got on my nerves several times but overall I have a good opinion of him. HIs recent interviews with the anti-gays was brilliant. I think he is bright and very, very funny. I've never thought of comparing him to Paxman but he is a completely different species. I think he's sharp enough but a bit belligerent and not at all humorous.

I couldn't believe it when I read that Brand had been asked to write for the New Statesman. The interview with Paxman was interesting but I suspect we have got as much as we are going to get from Brand. He's pretty light weight... smart enough to grasp the issues and deliver the sound bite but totally lacking the commitment to really do anything about it.

Can two very rich geezers really claim to know, let alone speak about the underclass?

I couldn't believe it when I read that Brand had been asked to write for the New Statesman. The interview with Paxman was interesting but I suspect we have got as much as we are going to get from Brand. He's pretty light weight... smart enough to grasp the issues and deliver the sound bite but totally lacking the commitment to really do anything about it.

Can two very rich geezers really claim to know, let alone speak about the underclass?

It was the Paxman interview that won me as a fan. Brand is trying to redefine the debate and here promoted a different slant on Paxman's conventional 'wisdom.' He's a communicator. If he gets people, younger people in particular, to think about the issues of equality and social justice in a creative way, he will have done his job.

Brand grew up in humble and difficult circumstances. Becoming rich does not necessarily destroy empathy. Au contraire.......

It was the Paxman interview that won me as a fan. Brand is trying to redefine the debate and here promoted a different slant on Paxman's conventional 'wisdom.' He's a communicator. If he gets people, younger people in particular, to think about the issues of equality and social justice in a creative way, he will have done his job.

Brand grew up in humble and difficult circumstances. Becoming rich does not necessarily destroy empathy. Au contraire.......

It was his commentary on George Bush that sealed my approval. "In my country, he wouldn't be allowed to be left alone with scissors.....etc etc"

A quick poll of "young people" round my house last night showed that they are not that convinced by brand either ... he's a bit "random and faux", by all accounts.

I don't believe Brand lacks empathy but another rich celebrity who can't be arsed to vote doesn't really cut it for moi,

im not a fan of him or his "comedy" but i think the points he was trying to make where valid enough.

the system just doesnt work for the average person so the sooner its discussed in the open and solutions are found the better

" Like most people I regard politicians as frauds and liars and the current political system as nothing more than a bureaucratic means for furthering the augmentation and advantages of economic elites."

Its extrordinarily difficult to argue with that.

Lustig's main problem appears to be Brands' insistence that 'not voting' is a legitimate protest. I have some sympathy with that point, I would much rather people who feel let down by the system actually did vote albeit either by spoiling their ballot paper or a la Hollywood marked on the ballot paper 'None of the Above'.

Robert Webb (co-writer and one half of Peep Show) certainly doesn't agree with Brand:

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2013/oct/30/robert-webb-russell-brand-vote

Ha ha. Made me laugh when Webb said his response was to rejoin the Labour Party.

Also smiled at this: "Webb also took issue with his claim that "revolution is un-British", arguing that the English invented it in the modern era when Charles I was beheaded in 1649."

That's some argument. There's not been much sign of revolution since the riots in 1981. Although there was a small uprising in London last year. Or was that just hoodlums?