Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
willie campbell

1960s

It's always the same routine, samsc. I'm usually there with John and Ryan. Ryan has the macaroni cheese and John has the pineapple and ham pizza. They never ever finish it so I just ask for an extra fork and plate and have a bit of theirs. I enjoy my coffee. I get one of those all to myself. :lol:

We/ve been there often this summer and it's fun sitting on the shady side of Sauchiehall Street watching the natives parade along in the beachwear. Don't Glaswegians love the sunshine. I don't recollect seeing so much bare flesh in the 60s.

Bare flesh in the '60's wasn't covered in tattoos, wasn't bright orange in colour,wasn't hanging in folds,didn't expose thongs,and whils't the skirts were short,the shoes were flat heeled pumps making the proportions just right,unlike the vertiginous heels of today.I stood in Central Station awaiting a train on Saturday night and my head was on a swivel.I have never seen sights like it,and not in a good way

Bare flesh in the '60's wasn't covered in tattoos, wasn't bright orange in colour,wasn't hanging in folds,didn't expose thongs,and whils't the skirts were short,the shoes were flat heeled pumps making the proportions just right,unlike the vertiginous heels of today.I stood in Central Station awaiting a train on Saturday night and my head was on a swivel.I have never seen sights like it,and not in a good way

The ridiculous platforms came along a bit later, willie, and I think some of the 70s styles looked pretty mad but you're right about the 60s.

We did go a bit mad on our eye make up with the false eyelashes but who had ever heard of having their eyebrows tattooed? The girls spend a fortune on their glamour look nowadays: booking in for spray tans for nights out, hair extensions and goodness knows what not. Maybe all their money has gone and they're only left with enough for a Primark dress?

I must admit that I sometimes feel a surge of approval when I see a wee plumb girl in tight trousers or a revealing top. By the dictates of the fashion police she may have it all wrong but there is something admirable about having the confidence to strut your stuff despite carrying a pound or two.

I was having a chat with one of the teenagers in our family the other day. It got me thinking about how much exercise we had when we were young. Not by joining sports clubs but at the dancing. In the 60s it wasn't unusual to go dancing two or three times a week. A night spent twisting or doing the hippy hippy shake fairly got the heart racing.

Dancing wasn't restricted to the week-ends. One of our favourite nights was at the Dennistoun Palais on a Monday.

I'm weary waiting for some of you auld yins to add to this thread. I've been enjoying it. I'm far to young to join in. :lol:

Sorry to take so long to get back, CL, but I was thinking the other day how attitudes towards hair have changed since the 60s. In the mid-60s it was all big bouffants and masses of French combing, or back combing hair, with treacherous looking steel combs. Then the final style was held in place with masses of hair lacquer. You washed your hair about once a week, buying a wee sachet of Silvikrin, then you put in your rollers. It wasn't uncommon to see women out doing their shopping with their rollers in.

Unlike today, there was little concern for the condition of your hair. It was a wee bit different in the late sixties when Vidal Sassoon's short, geometric styles required healthy, shining hair.

From what I hear form young folk, it takes a lot of expensive products and irons to achieve that "dragged through a hedge backward" look...

I always wanted one of those high forehead fringes, favoured by French actresses but being blessed with a double coo's lick it was never going to happen.

I went through a phase of having a DA, in he 70s.... I think it was a Bowie inspired doooo but my memory kind fails me. It was post feather cut and before all the baaaaad perms.

Going baldy has saved me a fortune in hair products,and I can highly recommend it.Ah yes,those wee shampoo sachets,mines was Sunsilk,and did me twice,and when my acne and dandruff were at their most rampant..Wrights Coal Tar shampoo,and that thick yellow emulsion called Selsun which nipped the eyes oot yer heid and killed everything at 20paces.We washed hair,and bathed once a week,with bath salts,and there wasn't a deodorant in sight.I remember Frasers doing an offer in the 60s with Aramis cologne giving away a free spray deodorant with every purchase.They hadn't quite perfected it methinks,'cause it gave a white frosted look to your oxters that showed up lilac in the ultra violet lights in the White Elephant Disco.Still that helped take folks eyes off my similarly luminous N.H.S.crowns,so natural were they,that total strangers would compliment me on "your crowns being lovely"Kinda defeated the purpose,but much better than those pink and white plastic falsies.

Willie, you're an absolute tonic. Laughing my head of at the luminous oxters. :)