Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End

West End Festival 2013

A very optimistic launch in the Kibble Palace tonight. Kicks off tomorrow 31st until 30th June.

Everyone seems to be delighted that the Mardi Gras Parade is back once more. (Byres Road on Sunday 9th June)

The programme is looking pretty good. Jam packed with community events, lots of old favourites including Paintings on Railings and some super free events.

http://www.westendfestival.co.uk

I think the forecast is good CL. The sun certainly makes a huge difference. There are mixed views about the location of the festival but hopefully the traders on Byres Road get a bit of a boost.

What a perfect day for the parade. Lots of fun on Byres Road and cafes doing a brisk trade. I met loads of friends and enjoyed just hanging out. It was a great atmosphere and apparently good times in Kelvingrove as well with live music. It's the most beautiful evening. I'm back home feeling kinda sleepy but no doubt the fun will continue. :)

I + plus pal was there today, we had a lovely lunch outside somewhere ? on Byres Rd.,, weather fab. Just finished eating when parade reached us. Enjoyed although sometimes bemused as to who n what organisation we were watching, lol Still we appreciated the effort put in. Great crowd on Byres Road and when we walked round to the park thoroughly enjoyed the live music put on. One particular, didn't catch name had a brill keyboard player. One of the covers was a Barry White another was the band Jimmy Somerville was in ( my music knowledge is limited) lol Long may it continue, loved today.

Glad to hear you had such a good time, Hingmie. The festival continues until the end of the month. I've been enjoying the literary lates at Cottiers. Going along tonight to see students from MLitt Creative Writing at Glasgow Uni strut their stuff and going back tomorrow to see Liz Lochhead - always a treat.

Tomorrow beer festival at The Three Judges and also this week is The Lobey Dosser Day along at Woodlands.

http://www.westendfestival.co.uk

There were two bands Jimmy Sommerville was in Hingmie, The Communards and Bronski Beat. I used to stay upstairs from his mum Annie in Maryhill :lol: I was working until 5, but managed to join pals round at the Hillhead Bookclub street party afterwards. The queue at the bar was around 6 people deep, and outside was a solid throng of people! Lovely weather for it too.

I love the Colpi's, CL. I usually have one when I'm in Milngavie. I haven't heard any adverse reports about the parade day. Maybe everyone was in good form with the lovely weather.

Canny Lass, we did chat momentarily to someone who complained that no drink was being partaken in the park, he said it "spoiled the atmosphere" n he had a fairly posh Glasgow accent. I directed him to the beer tent.

While sitting enjoying the live music we had a couple of neighbours really enjoying it and knew all the songs. They offered a can of lager to each of us. I said "ye do know it is illegal to drink in a public place " (tongue in cheek ye understand) " Och aye, we we know but only if ye get caught wis the reply "and the offer is still there, hen..lol" Glasgow banter at it's best.