Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
Pat

Big George R.I.P.

Big George, well known and much loved Glasgow musician died on Tuesday in his home. He was very ill after being seriously burned in a fire earlier this year but it's not clear if this was the cause of death. He had been pretty unwell for quite some time.

A very talented and likeable man, great guitarist and super front man. He played for many years with his band Big George and the Business both locally and touring internationally.

http://news.stv.tv/scotland/220043-glasgow-blues-legend-big-george-watt-dies-suddenly-at-home/

I was extremely shocked to see this news this morning; as like many other - I thought he was on the mend. It was probably back in the 80s when I first met George - as we used to use the same rehearsal studios. We jammed together quite a few times in the rehearsal studios on South Street. Even though he was a spectacular blues guitar player and I was simple 'punk style' - he never gave the impression that he thought he was the better guitar player. How he carried off that level of humility I've no idea; generous to a fault. I was pleased to be back in touch - on myspace a few years ago - and even though he wasn't well you wouldn't have known it from good-humoured tone in his messages. He'll be missed. RIP 'Big George'.