Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
Pat

The Bedroom Tax - Catalyst for Protest

What have all these labour MPs got in common

Diane Abbott (Hackney North and Stoke Newington)
Debbie Abrahams (Oldham East and Saddleworth)
Bob Ainsworth (Coventry North East)
Douglas Alexander (Paisley & Renfrewshire South)
Jonathan Ashworth (Leicester South)
Ed Balls (Morley and Outwood)
Hugh Bayley (York Central)
David Blunkett (Sheffield Brightside and Hillsborough)
Gordon Brown (Kirkcaldy & Cowdenbeath)
Chris Bryant (Rhondda)
Ann Coffey (Stockport)
Huw Irranca Davies (Ogmore)
Geraint Davies (Swansea West)
Gloria Del Piero (Ashfield)
Jim Dobbin (Heywood and Middleton)
Frank Dobson (Holborn and St Pancras)
Brian Donohoe (Central Ayrshire)
Frank Doran (Aberdeen North)
Clive Efford (Eltham)
Frank Field (Birkenhead)
Paul Flynn (Newport West)
Mike Gapes (Ilford South)
David Hamilton (Midlothian)
Margaret Hodge (Barking)
George Howarth (Knowsley)
Lindsay Hoyle (Chorley)
Siân James (Swansea East)
Alan Johnson (Kingston upon Hull West and Hessle)
Tessa Jowell (Dulwich and West Norwood)
Gerald Kaufman (Manchester Gorton)
David Lammy (Tottenham)
Ian Lucas (Wrexham)
Siobhain McDonagh (Mitcham and Morden)
Alan Meale (Gateshead)
Meg Munn (Sheffield Heeley)
Jim Murphy (East Renfrewshire)
Pamela Nash (Airdrie and Shotts)
Dawn Primarolo (Bristol South)
Joan Ruddock (Lewisham, Deptford)
Anas Sarwar (Glasgow Central)
John Spellar (Warley)
Gerry Sutcliffe (Bradford South)
Chuka Umunna (Streatham)
Joan Walley (Stoke-on-Trent North)
Dave Watts (St Helens North)
Alan Whitehead (Southampton Test)
Shaun Woodward (St Helens South and Whiston)

That's right, they couldn't be bothered to turn up and vote against the bedroom tax. The secretary of State for Scotland, actually voted with the Government. Still we are Better Together.

A sad day at Westminster. Who cares about the poor. Not this lot:

10 Scottish Labour MPs don’t bother to vote for the Labour motion against the Bedroom Tax

Yesterday’s Labour Opposition motion against the indefensible Bedroom Tax – put to the House by Rachel Reeves MP, was defeated by 252 votes to 226.

The most shameful fact is that 10 of Scottish Labour’s 41 MPs at Westminster – 25% of them – did not vote to support their own party’s motion.

The former Labour, now Independent MP for Falkirk, Eric Joyce, also did not vote.

The single Scottish Conservative MP, David Mundell, voted against the motion.

Four Scottish Liberal Democrat MPs did not vote [as did not their party Leader and Deputy Prime Minister, Nick Clegg]: Danny Alexander, Mike Crockart, Charles Kennedy, Alan Reid. Of these four, we can find no record of Mr Alexander or Mr Crockart speaking in the debate so assume they were not even present. Both Charles Kennedy and Argyll & Bute’s MP, Alan Reid spoke in the debate but did not register a vote – their signal of dissent from this specific tax without voting against a government of which their party is a member.

All six SNPs MPs voted for the motion and three spoke in the debate, two in substantial measure.

Naming and shaming

The Scottish Labour members who were absent or did not vote are:

• Douglas Alexander
  • Gordon Brown
  • Brian Donohue
  • Frank Doran
  • David Hamilton
  • Jimmy Hood
  • Ann McKechin
  • Jim Murphy
  • Pamela Nash
  • Anas Sarwar

There are some very big names in here – former Prime Minister and Chancellor, Gordon Brown; former senior government ministers Douglas Alexander and Jim Murphy; and present Scottish Labour Star, Anas Sarwar, who, on television, committed his party [but apparently not himself] to abolishing the Bedroom Tax.

And this is the party whose raison d’etre is to support the poor.

http://forargyll.com/2013/11/10-scottish-labour-mps-dont-bother-to-vote-for-the-labour-motion-against-the-bedroom-tax/

I am totally disgusted. I see someone I have long admired, Chuku Umuna, didn't manage to vote either. Neither did Charles Kennedy. Every last man and woman should have been there.

And most of the Labour no show'ers claim thousand for their second home allowance too.

They've no interest unless it affects them

I heard that they were subject to pairing. I don't know what that means.

weasel excuse. Pairing is an informal way of dodging turning up for your work on less impartant issues. Shame Mr Sarwar et al thought the bedroom tax debate was one of those issues.

As Dennis Cavanagh said with regard to pairing, its an abomination, if I didn't turn up for a shift at the pit I would get sacked, why should MPs have different rules to dodge their work.

I'm with Dennis. The Bedroom Tax has gone far too far:

"A grandmother with just days to live has vowed to continue her fight against the “evil” bedroom tax from her deathbed."

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/local-news/dying-birmingham-grandma-fighting-evil-6173382

Pity some MPs don't have her guts.

They all turned up for this so I'm surprised you missed it.

"SNP and Conservative MSPs rejected a plea for a national "bedroom tax" no evictions policy after hearing that tenant bids for financial help has soared to "astronomical" levels."

"Welfare Reform Committee vice convener Jamie Hepburn sided with SNP colleagues Kevin Stewart and Annabel Ewing, and Tory MSP Alex Johnstone, to vote out a petition for statutory protection from eviction for those deemed to have extra bedrooms.

They also voted against writing to the Scottish Government to explain its opposition to a statutory ban but the committee will write to UK Work and Pensions Secretary Iain Duncan Smith to ask what financial support will be available for "bedroom tax" cases next year."

I think they might be better off writing a letter to Santa. SNP Blawhards talk big but prefer to write to fellow right wingers than actually do something.

Now, Dex should we tell the full story behind that or should we just let the labour party's pathetic attempt to try and get themselves off their no-show hook run? Should we tell how every housing charity and Local Authority was against labour's ill thought out policy which was literally a rent dodgers charter.

The housing associations and local authority landlords, those landlords?

Can we discuss who first introduced the bedroom tax? No, not want everyone to know it was the labour party. You know, the labour party that voted with the Government to bring in retrospective legislation (the legislation of scoundrels) to stop those on job seekers allowance getting their court allotted rights.

The labour party continues to swing further and further to the right Dex, its the only way it can get middle England to keep voting for it. Gone are the great radical ideas and visions of MacLean et al; that kind of thinking scares the middle class horses. I was raised on the dreams of MacLean (one of the first books my father bought me was his story), I used to pound the street delivering labour party leaflets. was actually a member at one time. I didn't leave the labour party, the labour party left me.

I want a decent labour party back, one I can believe in. I even want a proper tory party back, one nation conservatism that Scottish tories were good at rather than this greed driven Thatcherism. That will never be delivered again within this UK construct. The only chance for the labour party in Scotland and the only chance for future generations of Scots is independence.

bearing in mind dexy it was labour that brought in the bedroom tax for people in private lets, the tories just expanded it to social lets.

ie labour are to blame (yet again)

As I said at the beginning of this thread, the bedroom tax will be axed. It was clear from the outset that it was unworkable. I also suspect that now it has been flagged up for abolition in the SNP White Paper, Cameron will act to abolish it quite quickly.

i hope your right harper but i dont see it happening to be honest.

this tax wont effect any tory voters, theyl see it as saving them money so theyl back the clown all the way

My feeling is that Cameron will make a concession to strengthen the "Better Together" campaign and also as an election pledge to show they are "listening to the people." .

Good for Liverpool Counci:

"

Authority bosses believe the coalition – through its controversial policies such as the hated bedroom tax and welfare reform – could be in breach of the UN economic and social rights convention that sets out minimum standards for access to food, clothing and housing.

Labour members from all parts of the city have spoken of the evidence they have gathered of people who were being forced into degrading poverty because they were being denied access to benefits they desperately needed.

Many are ending up having to resort to what they said was effectively “begging” for food at food banks, the Liverpool Echo reports.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/liverpool-council-report-david-cameron-3031436

The MSPs are speaking up – at last.

'In a report published today, the Scottish Parliament's welfare reform committee concluded the cuts to housing benefit for people deemed to have surplus rooms were "iniquitous and inhumane".

SNP and Labour MSPs on the committee joined forces to demand powers to axe the policy, officially named the spare room subsidy, despite continued tensions over the Scottish Government's response.'

The Herald

Good to see them seeing beyond party politics and speaking out against this disgusting policy. Apart from a huge infringement of human rights, it is just totally ludicrous and raises so many questions. Has no-one ever to increase their family? If you're pregnant no point in doing up a nursery. You can't take your grannie in when she becomes less independent and your son has gone to uni.

The sooner this is ditched the better. Has it actually saved any money?

That's shocking, samsc. And how many others in the same boat. People are dying of starvation because basically we have a welfare state in tatters.