Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
Grahamedgar

You've been Trumped

Just watched the Trump Scottish golf course programme on BBC2 about the billionaire property developer from New York and his proposals for the Worlds best golf course just north of Aberdeen.

Whilst aware of the project and some of the controversy, this programme brought to light several factors:

1) There should be an enquiry why Alex Salmond re-opened the proposal when the Council chucked it out. It has never happened before and one considers Trump's money may have something to do with it!

2) It's funny how the Council changed their mind when directed by Scottish Parliament.

3) The Police were shown in a bad light deservedly (but of course they are paid by the council!)

4) The people working there did not have Scottish accents so the local economy would not have benefited. Trump envisaged 1400 employees without stating where the staff originated to Alex Salmond and he swallowed it. The programme didn't mention if Miss Scotland accepted a job offer!

5) The wildlife was kicked out of their home to find new places to live.

6) Worst of all is the livelihoods of the locals being disrupted, with the associated stress, and their scenery obliterated and changed forever. (Farms don't have to be tidy and whose right is it anyway to criticise another person abode or way of life!)

And just before the elections, suddenly a wind farm propsal (worth £33m to the Scottish Government) would disrupt Trump's view from the Golf Course, or more like it would reduce the amount he could charge visitors to play on it. The "best in the World" usually has "the most expensive in the World" attached to it.

To think I used to vote SNP!

That wind farm proposal has been part of the Aberdeen and Shire local plan for the past ten years; it was also included in the planning permission documents submitted by Trump's team. He's being disingenuous when he pretends he knew nothing of those plans.

Did you examine the passports of all 1400 staff? And you do know that being part of the EU means that anyone from within the EU can take a job in Scotland.

Just watched the Trump Scottish golf course programme on BBC2 about the billionaire property developer from New York and his proposals for the Worlds best golf course just north of Aberdeen.

Whilst aware of the project and some of the controversy, this programme brought to light several factors:

1) There should be an enquiry why Alex Salmond re-opened the proposal when the Council chucked it out. It has never happened before and one considers Trump's money may have something to do with it!

2) It's funny how the Council changed their mind when directed by Scottish Parliament.

3) The Police were shown in a bad light deservedly (but of course they are paid by the council!)

4) The people working there did not have Scottish accents so the local economy would not have benefited. Trump envisaged 1400 employees without stating where the staff originated to Alex Salmond and he swallowed it. The programme didn't mention if Miss Scotland accepted a job offer!

5) The wildlife was kicked out of their home to find new places to live.

6) Worst of all is the livelihoods of the locals being disrupted, with the associated stress, and their scenery obliterated and changed forever. (Farms don't have to be tidy and whose right is it anyway to criticise another person abode or way of life!)

And just before the elections, suddenly a wind farm propsal (worth £33m to the Scottish Government) would disrupt Trump's view from the Golf Course, or more like it would reduce the amount he could charge visitors to play on it. The "best in the World" usually has "the most expensive in the World" attached to it.

To think I used to vote SNP!

I cannot abide Donald Trump and didn't even consider visiting Trump Tower when I was in New York. He comes across as a bullying know all. Hi golf course has created a money making activity, which locals are unlikely to be able to afford. Is the wind farm going ahead - I certainly hope so.

I am sure Scotland needs employment but does it need any more golf courses?

I loved the inserts from Local Hero... talk about art imitating life.... :rolleyes: The dunes are magnificent and the wind farms are as beautiful as any Anthony Gormley installation. The whole thing looks like a blight on the landscape and totally out of keeping with the local community.

I heard a radio interview with Trump a few weeks ago and got the idea that it will go ahead (sorry missed the end of last night's programme). His mother was from Shetland and he has a great love for "Scatland".

What is Alex Salmond thinking of?

That wind farm proposal has been part of the Aberdeen and Shire local plan for the past ten years; it was also included in the planning permission documents submitted by Trump's team. He's being disingenuous when he pretends he knew nothing of those plans.

Did you examine the passports of all 1400 staff? And you do know that being part of the EU means that anyone from within the EU can take a job in Scotland.

Yes I am fully aware of the EU system regarding employment and clearly I personally have not inspected 1400 passports. I have always understood emloyment to be based on applicants' merits, skill, experience and qualifications irrespective of origin. It is also a fact that non British nationals spend a good proportion of their earnings in their own country of origin which clearly has less of an impact on the growth of the local economy, as stated in the programme by the head of the London School of Economics.

I urge everyone to watch the programme (now on BBCi-Player to form their own opinions)

I am sure Scotland needs employment but does it need any more golf courses?

I loved the inserts from Local Hero... talk about art imitating life.... :rolleyes: The dunes are magnificent and the wind farms are as beautiful as any Anthony Gormley installation. The whole thing looks like a blight on the landscape and totally out of keeping with the local community.

I heard a radio interview with Trump a few weeks ago and got the idea that it will go ahead (sorry missed the end of last night's programme). His mother was from Shetland and he has a great love for "Scatland".

What is Alex Salmond thinking of?

Yes the two Golf courses are going ahead, along with "the village of 500 houses" it's only the Hotel that's not being built as per original plans. Trump has a great love of money and power. "Scatland" is further down the order and only used as a tool because the Americans know Scotland is the home of golf and therefore the most prestigious. I am a golfer and your'e right Harper we don't need any more course developed on places of natural beauty

ive always believed people not living here should have no say in our events.

this only enforces this view

Do you live in the locality then, tig? I thought you south of the river?

Personally, I think overseas investment is good for all parts of the UK and if it had been a development supported by the local community it would have been a good thing.

And goodness, if every only commented on LOCAL affairs we wouldn't get past the end of our street. I think the seemingly, untimely intervention of any UK government is open to question.

Trump's not happy about the BBC showing 'You've Been Trumped' and his lawyers, Dundas & Wilson, a prominent Scottish law firm, complained to the BBC and are now going to Ofcom . It's already won several awards and been screened at festivals world wide. His bullying tactics were hardly a secret. The film will be screened again on BBC2 tonight.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2012/oct/22/donald-trump-bbc-film-row

Do you live in the locality then, tig? I thought you south of the river?

Personally, I think overseas investment is good for all parts of the UK and if it had been a development supported by the local community it would have been a good thing.

And goodness, if every only commented on LOCAL affairs we wouldn't get past the end of our street. I think the seemingly, untimely intervention of any UK government is open to question.

i live locally to where i live yes.....its not south of any river though...well not the local one anyway....i do live in the locality of Scotland tho and believe this thread is about some one who doesnt trying to tell our gov what it should and should do.

i dont know whats me or anyone else being local to anywhere has to do with anything really.

overseas investment is a great and much needed part of our economy but do you think just because you invest in something (not many locals wanted or can afford to use) you should be able to dictate to our gov how they run their country ?

me thinks not.

govs are always going to pander to these people, giving them planning permission (shockingly against the council/locals wishes) is one thing but then letting them dictate how you run your countries energy supplies is another thing all together.

orf with his head lol

tigs, if you want to have a go at me, have a go at me on the right thread, on the right issue. :P

I think it is an interesting political question on why this matter was taken out the hands of the local council. hence the question... what was Alex Salmond thinking? How local do I need to be to hear back from interested folks?

Trump's not happy about the BBC showing 'You've Been Trumped' and his lawyers, Dundas & Wilson, a prominent Scottish law firm, complained to the BBC and are now going to Ofcom . It's already won several awards and been screened at festivals world wide. His bullying tactics were hardly a secret. The film will be screened again on BBC2 tonight.

http://www.guardian....mp-bbc-film-row

I missed it but will watch tonight. Even though I might end up throwing my valuable gold candlesticks at the telly.

tigs, if you want to have a go at me, have a go at me on the right thread, on the right issue. :P

I think it is an interesting political question on why this matter was taken out the hands of the local council. hence the question... what was Alex Salmond thinking? How local do I need to be to hear back from interested folks?

I agree. The council should have had their say on this, along with locals. I don't live up there but I reckon I can have an opionion.

i wasnt having a go at you in any way...i dont see what i wrote that makes you think i was.

/me off to ask the locals if sarcasm works both ways :D

maybe you misunderstood when i said "ive always believed people not living here should have no say in our events."

i meant this country not up my street

Tigsy, I'm wounded. Come the end of 2013 they will my events too. That's why I fundraise for the London branch of the SNP and my first vote as a teenager was for devolution in 1979.

I don't live in America either but I have an opinion about Mitt Romney and many issues that don't happen on my doorstep. I believe that all Goverments should be open to scrutiny and I don't care if it's yours or mine.

I am still interested in why Alex Salmond made this intervention when it was apparently out of keeping with local decision making powers.

Go on, indulge me.....

aw didums

of course you have an opinion and im quite sure it is similar to mine in many things and im not saying you shouldnt voice it either.

im my original post in this thread i didnt mean that at all....what i meant was its for the people who live here to actually decide what happens here, not for anyone else

i was on about the people(and so called investors) from other countries trying to tell or bully our gov/councils...ie trump n the likes

he bullied his way into getting a golf course and is now trying to bully the scots gov into scrapping its renewable energy plans....cause it spoils his view

why the gov got involved in the first place?.....who knows, possibly because wee eck sh@t it from the big bad millionaire media baron who would destroy his career and party if he didnt get his way.

aw didums

of course you have an opinion and im quite sure it is similar to mine in many things and im not saying you shouldnt voice it either.

im my original post in this thread i didnt mean that at all....what i meant was its for the people who live here to actually decide what happens here, not for anyone else

i was on about the people(and so called investors) from other countries trying to tell or bully our gov/councils...ie trump n the likes

he bullied his way into getting a golf course and is now trying to bully the scots gov into scrapping its renewable energy plans....cause it spoils his view

why the gov got involved in the first place?.....who knows, possibly because wee eck sh@t it from the big bad millionaire media baron who would destroy his career and party if he didnt get his way.

It's difficult for a proud Scot not to have an opinion on Scottish events even if he lives in the South of England. If it offends or causes bad feeling that should be aired and all input will cease forthwith. My roots are in the West End where I spent nearly 30 years and am passionate about it first and Scotland second. Unfortunately circumstances hold me here for a while longer.

I can't see Alex Salmond being bullied by anyone incidentally, being a Scottish lawyer. I'm also not suggesting big brown envelopes were flying about either, the mystery continues!

It's difficult for a proud Scot not to have an opinion on Scottish events even if he lives in the South of England.

If it offends or causes bad feeling that should be aired and all input will cease forthwith.

no one ever said it wasnt or he/she shouldnt, or that it does, no matter where he/she lives

We've always had discussion on a whole range of subjects with people here commenting on stuff that happens elsewhere and vice versa. We can hold opinions on all sorts of topics, whether we know much about them or not. :)

snapback.pngEdgarsofPartick, on 23 October 2012 - 11:28 PM, said:

It's difficult for a proud Scot not to have an opinion on Scottish events even if he lives in the South of England.

If it offends or causes bad feeling that should be aired and all input will cease forthwith.

no one ever said it wasnt or he/she shouldnt, or that it does, no matter where he/she lives

ive always believed people not living here should have no say in our events.

this only enforces this view

errrr, tigs.... :lol:

i think yous are getting a bit confuddled over the difference between having an opinion on something and actually have a say on how something is done

must be an age thing :rolleyes:

.... or your rubbish typing, tigsy. :P

On the issue of having a say, surely the voice of the local community should have been foremost in ths decision making process. Isn't the point that is was taken out of their hands?

You better flit, harper. :lol: I've still got plenty to say about Old Kilpatrick affairs even although I've lived in Glasgow for over 20 years. :) I'm also happy to offer Mr Cameron and Co advice.

.... or your rubbish typing, tigsy. :P

On the issue of having a say, surely the voice of the local community should have been foremost in ths decision making process. Isn't the point that is was taken out of their hands?

lol read what it says not what you think it says :lol: :lol:

i agree tho, it should have ended when the local council said no in the 1st place