Sign in to follow this  
Guest westender

Byres Road

Byres Road  

40 members have voted

1. 1.

• More fun now than it's ever been
    • Better fun in the auld days

On another note, when did Casa Cassettes close? Strangely enough, I recall going in there a number of years ago (they were good at locating obscure or old records, etc - unless deleted and even then they had 'contacts') and it wasn't until last month or so that it dawned on me they were no longer there!

I'm lousy on dates but i think it was the late nineties. i'd have to check my receipts. i picked up Earl Bostic, Louis Jordan and Jimmy lunceford albums at half price.

Anyone remember Scotstoys?

Used to be in Byres Road, roughly where the Abbey and Boots are now. It was an off shoot from Scotsport the 'sportshop' in Great George Street. I got all my Airfix 1:32 Combat Sets there - my collection is worth a mint now, if I was to go by Ebay prices and the demand, especially for some of the rarer pieces, which I have.

Nope .... don't remember that. Boots has been there since I was a child (I even remember when they built the stockroom in the lane cos I broke one of the windows when we were playing football).

There was a toy shop farther down Byres Rd. roughly where the Amber is now.

Guest westender

I much prefer to get a little nostalgic for wee Wendy who used to work in there. :mrgreen:

aye, you and hauf the west end it seemed like....

Guest thomas

Boots has indeed been there but not always as a double shop! The toy shop was long and narrow and I wish I could remember where I put some of my old stuff (still have them but stored in a loft somewhere) such as Star Trek's Enterprise, still in the original box along with Space 1999 'Eagles' and Shado UFO die cast models. In amongst them is a receipt for the place complete with address and telephone number. As I wrote it was rougly in that locale between the 'newer Boots and Abbey'.

The other toy shop that I remember was in Park Road, near Lost Chord which I think is now a pharmacist? (The Toy Shop that is)! I don't recall the one further down Byres Road - probably I was deliberately distracted by my parents from viewing it, in case I wanted something from it!

Boots has indeed been there but not always as a double shop! The toy shop was long and narrow and I wish I could remember where I put some of my old stuff (still have them but stored in a loft somewhere) such as Star Trek's Enterprise, still in the original box along with Space 1999 'Eagles' and Shado UFO die cast models. In amongst them is a receipt for the place complete with address and telephone number. As I wrote it was rougly in that locale between the 'newer Boots and Abbey'.

The other toy shop that I remember was in Park Road, near Lost Chord which I think is now a pharmacist? (The Toy Shop that is)! I don't recall the one further down Byres Road - probably I was deliberately distracted by my parents from viewing it, in case I wanted something from it!

There was also a cracking toy shop at the corner of Great Western Rd and Hamilton Park Avenue, and also Birs' on Dumbarton Rd, with a fantastic model train layout.

Guest thomas

I am delighted to see the end of that hideous red - looked like Post Office Red to me. Back to black is good!

I liked Tennent's in its British Racing Green, very dignified.

Guest westender

I am delighted to see the end of that hideous red - looked like Post Office Red to me. Back to black is good!

Oh, is that what's goin on? I was peering at that pic in confusion, thinking it must have been a while ago and it was getting painted red, and thinking hmmm, I don't remember it being black and going to red!

I agree that BRG was by far to be preferred.

I could swear that's Lord Lucan in the grey suit jacket.

As for that bloke in turquoise, he should get the jail on account of being in possession of an offensive t shirt, m'lud.

The bloke in the grey shirt has been in Taggart approximately 543 times, unlike most Scottish acteurs, who average a mere 86 times.

:)