Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
Pat

The Glasgow Fair

The Fair starts tomorrow - according to Wikipedia, the holiday dates back to the 12th century. Until the 70s it took place in the second and third week of July.

Traditionally most local businesses and factories would close on 'Fair Friday' and workers and their families would take off on holiday - often doon the watter.

How things have changed. Not so many trips to Rothesay or Saltcoats these days. Families are more likely to be jetting off to Turkey or Spain and there aren't too many factories left on the no longer industrial Clydeside. :(

The Fair starts tomorrow - according to Wikipedia, the holiday dates back to the 12th century. Until the 70s it took place in the second and third week of July.

Traditionally most local businesses and factories would close on 'Fair Friday' and workers and their families would take off on holiday - often doon the watter.

How things have changed. Not so many trips to Rothesay or Saltcoats these days. Families are more likely to be jetting off to Turkey or Spain and there aren't too many factories left on the no longer industrial Clydeside. :(

At least the rain is off but not a lot of men spilling out of the shipyard gates. Times have changed a lot.

I remember as a young apprentice, we would stop work at 11 am on the Friday and spend the next two hours cleaning down and oiling the machines. Then the wage packets would be handed out, your normal weeks wages plus the two weeks holiday wages. Wow you were rich.

Off to the pub you all went, the underage apprentices hiding behind the older journeymen, several hours drinking beers and hooting with laughter. Then staggering unconvicingly home to your mum's to be force fed broth soup until you looked sober :lol:

Great days

I can't think about the Glasgow Fair without thinking about Hamish Imlach and the gigs he used to do in the Candleriggs? Magical days. :)

I can't think about the Glasgow Fair without thinking about Hamish Imlach and the gigs he used to do in the Candleriggs? Magical days. :)

Bet lots of people have happy memories of those days, harper.

We paid tribute to the Fair by taking a trip to Millport yesterday. It's not a place I am at all familiar with but it was great fun seeing all the families out in the sunshine, on bikes of every description and walking on the pier with their pokey hats. We also enjoyed a mosey around Britain's smallest cathedral.

We had (rotten) coffee and a very nice strawberry tart at a big coffee shop in the middle of nowhere. The lovely views over to Fairlie more than compensated for the dire drink.

On the return journey we drove along to Seamill and had a delicious meal in The Waterside Restaurant at Seamill. I had the tastiest seafood chowder ever with big chunks of fish, scallops, mussels and prawns accompanied by tomato bread and lots of tea. Jim also enjoyed his fish, crab and coriander fish cakes and hand cut chips.

The restaurant is lovely and in a great spot looking over to Arran and beyond you can see the Ailsa Craig. It's was perfect sitting in the evening sunshine and my first full day out since I've been sick so much appreciated.

Bet lots of people have happy memories of those days, harper.

We paid tribute to the Fair by taking a trip to Millport yesterday. It's not a place I am at all familiar with but it was great fun seeing all the families out in the sunshine, on bikes of every description and walking on the pier with their pokey hats. We also enjoyed a mosey around Britain's smallest cathedral.

We had (rotten) coffee and a very nice strawberry tart at a big coffee shop in the middle of nowhere. The lovely views over to Fairlie more than compensated for the dire drink.

On the return journey we drove along to Seamill and had a delicious meal in The Waterside Restaurant at Seamill. I had the tastiest seafood chowder ever with big chunks of fish, scallops, mussels and prawns accompanied by tomato bread and lots of tea. Jim also enjoyed his fish, crab and coriander fish cakes and hand cut chips.

The restaurant is lovely and in a great spot looking over to Arran and beyond you can see the Ailsa Craig. It's was perfect sitting in the evening sunshine and my first full day out since I've been sick so much appreciated.

There's a special event on tomorrow at Ayr Races:

The Glasgow Fair Festival Family Fun Raceday features appearances from Dora The Explorer, an Amazing Mini Zoo with mammals, birds, lizards, snakes and creepy crawlies, and a freestyle football tricks workshop with Al Johnson.

I remember as a young apprentice, we would stop work at 11 am on the Friday and spend the next two hours cleaning down and oiling the machines. Then the wage packets would be handed out, your normal weeks wages plus the two weeks holiday wages. Wow you were rich.

Off to the pub you all went, the underage apprentices hiding behind the older journeymen, several hours drinking beers and hooting with laughter. Then staggering unconvicingly home to your mum's to be force fed broth soup until you looked sober :lol:

Great days

A pay packet with holiday pay made you feel like a millionaire, Sammy. It's nowhere near the same getting the deposit in the bank. They were great times and no women's lib (no saying that was a great thing per se) but you never heard any complaints about the apprentices who knew how to treat the wee lassie office workers.

A pay packet with holiday pay made you feel like a millionaire, Sammy. It's nowhere near the same getting the deposit in the bank. They were great times and no women's lib (no saying that was a great thing per se) but you never heard any complaints about the apprentices who knew how to treat the wee lassie office workers.

I think they earned so much more, CL. No sign of any equal pay back then. There was certainly a lot of high spirits around the fair. Clydebank was a couple of weeks earlier and when John Browns and Singers closed for the holiday there would be some amount of money spent.

I remember the sun being out. Who would want to go on The Waverley in this miserable weather. It's like February today. The library is empty and peaceful so I'll hang around here for a while and then go and find an all day breakfast with lashings and lashings of tea and read the papers.

When I was a young apprentice the women in our work were all ancient, they were like 30 years old n'at.

When I was a young apprentice the women in our work were all ancient, they were like 30 years old n'at.

You were very unsoffisticatit, samsc. :lol: