Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
lynnski

Gabriel Garcia Marquez

I can't concentrate for very long just now as I'm quite ill, but I'll try and get the first chapter read this week, even if it's a page at a time :lol:

Well what do you know...finished chapter 1 and halfway through chapter 2 last night :) Ok ladies, when you're ready... :lol:

You start us off, hen... :lol:

Don't want to post anything until I'm sure everyone's finished the first chapter. Not that there's really anything major to give away, but still... :lol:

Don't want to post anything until I'm sure everyone's finished the first chapter. Not that there's really anything major to give away, but still... :lol:

Fire away, lynnski, or we might never get started. And remember that it's not only the lassies. Rory's joining the fun. :)

Oh yeah, I'd forgotten that! :lol: Well...

Everything is described in such stunning detail, you can really picture these mad inventions that the gypsies bring to the village. I think this first chapter has really set the scene for the rest of the book, telling us the family history and history of the village, but without giving too much away too soon. Sad to see Melquíades gone already, but I doubt that will be the last we hear of him.

Oh yeah, I'd forgotten that! :lol: Well...

Everything is described in such stunning detail, you can really picture these mad inventions that the gypsies bring to the village. I think this first chapter has really set the scene for the rest of the book, telling us the family history and history of the village, but without giving too much away too soon. Sad to see Melquíades gone already, but I doubt that will be the last we hear of him.

It was wonderful that Melquiades got his smile back before he died. Marquez' writing is fascinating - as you say, lynnski, his imagination and powers of description are amazing. In the first chapter we've been well introduced to the characters and you feel for the long suffering Ursula suffering at the hands of her husband, Jose Arcadio's. obsessions and whims but his thirst for knowledge is pretty impressive.

One thing I am enjoying a lot is the fact that the writer makes us consider things we know so well in a new light and there's no doubt about it: magnifying glasses, telescopes and ice are indeed wonderful. And, of course, so are false teeth.

Hellooooooo! Haven't talked to you all for a while but I can never resist a book club :) so I hope you don't mind if I join in? I'll get 100 years on my kobo and join in when I catch up to the rest of you.

Hope you have all been well and that the summer has been pleasant - getting to the end of a long, wet and slushy winter here and looking forward to the onset of spring - only a few more weeks to go. Saw the first jonquils in the garden this week...

Hellooooooo! Haven't talked to you all for a while but I can never resist a book club :) so I hope you don't mind if I join in? I'll get 100 years on my kobo and join in when I catch up to the rest of you.

Hope you have all been well and that the summer has been pleasant - getting to the end of a long, wet and slushy winter here and looking forward to the onset of spring - only a few more weeks to go. Saw the first jonquils in the garden this week...

Helloooooooo back, Gayle. We'll be delighted to have you join the book group. :)

Good to hear that Spring is arriving in your part of the world. Our summer has been very wet and most of July was awful but this week-end has been warm and sunny week-end. We'll lap it up as Autumn is just round the corner.

Hi Gayle, lovely to hear from you. I am way behind with my reading. We can catch up together.... :)

I hope your lovely girls are doings well....

Can't get any Gabriel Garcia on the kobo unfortunately - will check out the library.

The girls are really well thanks Harper - getting bigger by the minute. I've started teaching full time this term so am busier than usual but will try to get hold of the book soon. I'm usually a pretty fast reader once I get going.

Can't get any Gabriel Garcia on the kobo unfortunately - will check out the library.

The girls are really well thanks Harper - getting bigger by the minute. I've started teaching full time this term so am busier than usual but will try to get hold of the book soon. I'm usually a pretty fast reader once I get going.

I bought a copy on Amazon but I am also a bit delayed. It is taking me longer to read this fantasy type book than it usually takes me to read the thrillers that I like but I am going to stick with it. If Lynnski does not call me a lady. :lol:

I bought a copy on Amazon but I am also a bit delayed. It is taking me longer to read this fantasy type book than it usually takes me to read the thrillers that I like but I am going to stick with it. If Lynnski does not call me a lady. :lol:

I faithfully promise not to! :lol:

I'll have caught up by tomorrow.

I am loving this book all over again, his writing is sublime. "Ursula wept in consternation." Oh,misses, the empathy, the empathy... :lol:

I'll have caught up by tomorrow.

I am loving this book all over again, his writing is sublime. "Ursula wept in consternation." Oh,misses, the empathy, the empathy... :lol:

Well hurry up, Harper, I'm on the third chapter and enjoying the adventure.

Aye, poor Ursula. She disnae have her sorrows to seek. There'll be a few of us with a bit of empathy nae doot. I was worried about her in the second chapter (and worrying about what she was worrying about - that's empathy). But don't think I should be disclosing that just yet. :lol:

Okay, I promise I will be up to speed by the end the day.....

The first (and last time) I read ths book I was sitting on a Greek beach. No quite the same gettin' shoogled aboot on London Transport. :lol:

I am looking forward to becoming reaquainted with the wumin who has a hoast of butterflies follow her everywhere she goes....can you just imagine how fabulous that would be? :lol:

Okay, people, I'll be back for a gab after chapter 3?

I've finished chapter 2, but I'm going to read it again. I know *what* happened, but still not 100% sure to *who*. The names are all a bit confusing. I've left it for a week, will get back into it soon.

Okay, I promise I will be up to speed by the end the day.....

The first (and last time) I read ths book I was sitting on a Greek beach. No quite the same gettin' shoogled aboot on London Transport. :lol:

I am looking forward to becoming reaquainted with the wumin who has a hoast of butterflies follow her everywhere she goes....can you just imagine how fabulous that would be? :lol:

Okay, people, I'll be back for a gab after chapter 3?

Better than wasps any day. :lol:

I'm all intrigued by the idea of an ice house.

Lynnski, I know you're in charge but I think I have to draw the line at 'leaving it for a week' - at that rate we'll not be into our next book until the New Year. And where's Snow White? :lol:

I am looking forward to this.....I remember what a great read the thread on Bhuda Da was. Right now on my kindle I am reading "Trojan Horse" by David Lender and it stinks....will ditch this and get one of whats his name.....i know, its an age thing. Went to a meeting tonight and before leaving house, checked fridge to see if I needed milk, I did and still do, forgot to stop by the store.

tam.

Amazon.com has none of his books.....a really good secondhand bookstore in Chatham will see me, tomorrow.

tam

Amazon.com has none of his books.....a really good secondhand bookstore in Chatham will see me, tomorrow.

tam

Hope you're lucky at Chatham, tam, but if not Amazon definitely have his books:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=gabriel+garcia+m%C3%A1rquez&tag=googhydr-21&index=aps&hvadid=7251687006&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=125043890976833315&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&ref=pd_sl_22u4atuwn6_b

and going cheap in dollar land: http://www.amazon.com/Hundred-Solitude-Gabriel-Garcia-Marquez/dp/0060929790

I have had another look and "amazon.com" has none of his books, there is a thread asking why. "Amazon.ca" doesn't do kindle. "Amazon.co.uk" has a lot of books which the others do not carry.....i'm told it has to do with copyrights. I needed to buy (a second hand book store) "The Catcher in the Rye".

tam

I have had another look and "amazon.com" has none of his books, there is a thread asking why. "Amazon.ca" doesn't do kindle. "Amazon.co.uk" has a lot of books which the others do not carry.....i'm told it has to do with copyrights. I needed to buy (a second hand book store) "The Catcher in the Rye".

tam

I couldn't get the book on Kindle but you can buy it on Amazon here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0060929790/ref=dp_olp_0?ie=UTF8&condition=all

There's one for a dollar! It's a pain having to wait for the delivery, of course, so maybe you'll be lucky in the second hand shop.