Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
Pat

Brave

The premier of Brave opened tonight at Edinburgh's Film Festival and was released across the Atlantic last week. It's already a big box office draw.

I'll definitely go along (I've got to be able to discuss it with my sister who's going tonight in Ontario) - I feel I already know a lot about the film including the stars, some of the usual suspects, Coltrane and Connolly. Oh! and Emma Thompson, has she got the best Scottish accent?

On the top of the movie Visit Scotland have sunk 7 million to attract tourists to Scotland and one thing that does interest me (and I would imagine those potential visitors) are the locations that are featured in, and inspired, the movie.. I've been on their website about five times tonight and found out zero. They've got a very complicated, probably hugely expensive, and highly unusable fancy flash design. Really tricky.

Check it out if you're looking for a challenge and have plenty of time to spare: http://www.visitscotland.com/brave/

On another site I found that the Callandish Standing Stones in Lewis are depicted in the movie. Hopefully all those would be tourists will be able to figure out where they'd like to visit. Or maybe they'll just come anyway. Don't think Glasgow's featured in the movie. :(

Does Brave even remotely resemble any normal person's perception of Scotland in the 21st century, far less our Nation's future?

lol its set in the 10th century

Does Brave even remotely resemble any normal person's perception of Scotland in the 21st century, far less our Nation's future?

It represents a romanticised view of Scotland.

Its a bit of fun and offers ample opportunity for the girners to girn

I took my girls to see Brave in the last school holidays and we all really enjoyed it though they found it scary :) I thought it was beautiful and I particularly liked the storyline as a mother of girls. It's refreshing to have a central girl character and no love interest at all. I had to smile as it was a rainy day when we saw it and my hair very much resembled the leading ladies' as I walked out of the cinema - maximum frizz!

I took my girls to see Brave in the last school holidays and we all really enjoyed it though they found it scary :) I thought it was beautiful and I particularly liked the storyline as a mother of girls. It's refreshing to have a central girl character and no love interest at all. I had to smile as it was a rainy day when we saw it and my hair very much resembled the leading ladies' as I walked out of the cinema - maximum frizz!

Samsc and tig and their wee ones seem to have enjoyed it too, Gayle. I think I might have to go without a child as wee saw the trailer recently and whilst it whet my appetite, they just weren't interested. Merida looks like a pretty good role model - apart from the frizz. :lol:

Samsc and tig and their wee ones seem to have enjoyed it too, Gayle. I think I might have to go without a child as wee saw the trailer recently and whilst it whet my appetite, they just weren't interested. Merida looks like a pretty good role model - apart from the frizz. :lol:

I managed to persuade Ryan and Jim to come along today, out of the rain. We all loved it. The scenery was brilliant and I would have liked to see even more but that would have meant Merida riding out to different places. :lol: I was a bit concerned for all the tiny wee ones there and thought the battles might have upset them - but not a murmur.