Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End

Hyndland Station

I caught a train from Hyndland Station today around 4.45 p.m. I went along to visit my 95 year old auntie at Gartnavel Hospital but she had been moved to Drumchapel Hospital. I had phoned three times before I got to the hospital as we had an idea she was maybe going to be moved today, however, I was put through to three wrong wards before I learned that she had just left.

Anyway I headed down to catch a train to Drumchapel but ran into a bit of trouble. Firstly, I couldn't use my Concession pass because now old folks like me are not supposed to be out between 4.30 - 6 p.m. :rolleyes: To be fair the guy selling the tickets was very upset to pass on this news. I ended up consoling him and assuring him that I understood that it wasn't his fault.

Then I headed out to have a wee seat in the sunshine before my train came, only to find that the seats have been removed. Then I looked up to see when my train was due and where it would be stopping but the information screen wasn't where it used to be. Instead they now have two small boards attached to the wall of the ticket office.

However, there's a problem because the information about destinations is on one and on the other it tells you where the particular train coming into the station will be stopping. It's a poor system because when the information is up for the train at platform one you haven't got a clue what's happening with the train at platform two. I had to jump on a train going west to check where it was stopping next and then jump off again before the doors shut as it was next stop Jordanhill.

What a caper. All us wifies were having a right old moan. No seats outside (instead there's a rail you can lean against), no information and no concessions. That's no progess.

i travel by train a lot and see wee biddies confused all the time....

i never really put it down to the bad design of the station but just thought it was the wee auldie getting confuddled and try n show them where the info is they need so they can help themselves type thing.

i suppose the changes are a bit daunting for some people but what ive never understood is why the guy sits in his box all the time when theres no customers wanting tickets when he could be out n about stretching his legs and visible to the public who might need assistance.

ive also noticed that 9 times out of 10 the sun seems to be right behind the info board which makes it near impossible to see it without half blinding yourself but that must just be my timing i suppose.

at the end of the day they should have more staff and stop computerising everything

I didn't realise the train had a time ban for using my concession, good to know. I was annoyed with First Bus the other day, had a Dr appointment and looked on line for the bus times, only to find out when I got to the bus stop that the tmetable there was different and the correct one, considered complaining to them but thought what's the point, it's a vendetta against us auldies

i travel by train a lot and see wee biddies confused all the time....

i never really put it down to the bad design of the station but just thought it was the wee auldie getting confuddled and try n show them where the info is they need so they can help themselves type thing.

i suppose the changes are a bit daunting for some people but what ive never understood is why the guy sits in his box all the time when theres no customers wanting tickets when he could be out n about stretching his legs and visible to the public who might need assistance.

ive also noticed that 9 times out of 10 the sun seems to be right behind the info board which makes it near impossible to see it without half blinding yourself but that must just be my timing i suppose.

at the end of the day they should have more staff and stop computerising everything

More staff would be a good idea, tig, but it's not just about that. No matter how kind some folk are, such as yourself, when you ask someone 'do you know where this train stops', like you, they will be inclined to point to the board with the information. When the information shows where the Edinburgh Train stops and you've got a Balloch or Dalmuir in front of you that doesn't work.

The sun won't be behind the boards now and that's maybe why they moved them but they really need one for each direction, I would have thought anyone could work that out.

I'm also pretty sure that plenty of youngsters, disabled, injured teenagers and just plain exhausted folk like a wee seat so what was the point in removing the seats?