Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End

A potted history of my employment...

Over the past five years I have worked for some big names in retail. PC World/Currys, Borders Books, JJB sports...can anyone see the theme here and perhaps guess who my current employer is? :lol:

Clue, if it helps, I've never worked for Rangers FC, but they do have a sponsorship deal with JJB...

My pal reckons I should use my 'special talent' and stand as a Conservative MP, destroy them from within...! :lol:

Hmm, yes, I think I can see a pattern emerging. Poor Lynnski. :(

Now, what you have to do is print loads of copies of your C.V. and offer to take money from employers NOT to go and work for them. biggrin.gif

Because if you have turned into a sort of harbinger of corporate doom, it should be well worth their while to pay you to stay away. Sort of a Danegeld thing.

AND as the economy gets worse and risk gets bigger, they will get even more worried and so you increase your fees.

Oh, and 10% consultancy fee in a brown envelope for me, please.

Over the past five years I have worked for some big names in retail. PC World/Currys, Borders Books, JJB sports...can anyone see the theme here and perhaps guess who my current employer is? :lol:

Clue, if it helps, I've never worked for Rangers FC, but they do have a sponsorship deal with JJB...

My pal reckons I should use my 'special talent' and stand as a Conservative MP, destroy them from within...! :lol:

Do you work for Clintons/Birthdays?

I'm with your pal :D

Hamsterbert, you are a genius!! :lol: (but what is Danegeld? :unsure: ) Sam, you got it in one! Of course, JJB and PCW/Currys haven't gone under, but JJB have been circling the drain for years, and the Dixons group aren't exactly raking it in... I think all of retail is suffering just now. Nobody would ever have believed someone as big as Woolworths would go under, nobody's really safe. I heard HMV have put all their staff onto 4 hour contracts, and even the Arcadia Group are suffering. Which angers me, maybe if 'Sir' Philip Green actually paid some of his taxes this country would be a bit better off, greedy bugger that he is!! :angry:

Hamsterbert, you are a genius!! :lol: (but what is Danegeld? :unsure: ) Sam, you got it in one! Of course, JJB and PCW/Currys haven't gone under, but JJB have been circling the drain for years, and the Dixons group aren't exactly raking it in... I think all of retail is suffering just now. Nobody would ever have believed someone as big as Woolworths would go under, nobody's really safe. I heard HMV have put all their staff onto 4 hour contracts, and even the Arcadia Group are suffering. Which angers me, maybe if 'Sir' Philip Green actually paid some of his taxes this country would be a bit better off, greedy bugger that he is!! :angry:

It's a worrying time, lynnski, and the High Street is a strange place these days.

Shocking really, when you read what Michael Meacher has to say about the super rich.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2012/may/02/scourge-wealth-divide

Harrumph, bah humbug and f**ksticks! I have no job in 2 weeks. 80% of the Glasgow stores to shut, I've just had a phone call from work. Ho hum.

Harrumph, bah humbug and f**ksticks! I have no job in 2 weeks. 80% of the Glasgow stores to shut, I've just had a phone call from work. Ho hum.

That's terrible, lynnski. You've been incredibly unlucky. I hope something else turns up very soon.

That's terrible, lynnski. You've been incredibly unlucky. I hope something else turns up very soon.

It better! No student loan over the summer, can't have Him Indoors supporting us for too long.

I didn't realise that they were such large employers - 2800 losing jobs as a result of Clintons Cards going. I think other shops of this type are going to run into even more trouble with the price of stamps jumping up so much. Although the e-cards just can't replace the opening of an envelope.

Five hundred new jobs in the North Sea - or therebouts. Just caught a fleeting glimpse on the news.

Hope somethings turns up or you, lynnski. Epecially during your long summer break from uni.

That's not even the full workforce Pat, around half the stores are being shut just now, the total amount of people employed by Clintons is almost 8000. Job hunting just became even more overcrowded. :( And apparently I can't sign on over the summer because I'm a full time student, bah!

That's not even the full workforce Pat, around half the stores are being shut just now, the total amount of people employed by Clintons is almost 8000. Job hunting just became even more overcrowded. :( And apparently I can't sign on over the summer because I'm a full time student, bah!

Hard times. You should maybe watch out for some Seasonal Work, Lynnski. Or what about all these conferences that go on in the city thery must create a demand for staff and looks like you are used to dealing with the public.

Hero TSC are recruiting staff who have customer experience. Primarily for their recently won SKY contract so its dealing mainly with inward calls and customer support.

Hero are decent employers and its far from the battery hen image of call centres.

Where are they based Sam? Yeah Canny Lass, I'm looking for a full time job over the summer, failing that something part time and temporary might do. At least come Sept I have student loan payments again.

Where are they based Sam? Yeah Canny Lass, I'm looking for a full time job over the summer, failing that something part time and temporary might do. At least come Sept I have student loan payments again.

The head office is Larbert, but the sky contract is out of new offices they took over in Cadogan St in Glasgow City Centre

Oh well, it's official. Clintons Cards on Byres Road will close on Saturday. Other stores close anywhere between Friday and Sunday. Check your local branch for details! :lol::angry:

Oh well, it's official. Clintons Cards on Byres Road will close on Saturday. Other stores close anywhere between Friday and Sunday. Check your local branch for details! :lol::angry:

Hard times but still not a lot of empty shops in the West End. There seem to be a lot of new businesses opening. I wish them well as so many people losing their jobs these days. Hope you'll find something soon, lynnski.

Depends which bit of the West End Pat. From Tennant's Bar up, everything looks rosy, different story heading down from the bar into Partick. Lots of empty units.

6846970261_28ff02fb7f.jpg

to let by saltiresounds, on Flickr

Clintons closes it's doors today at 6pm, so if you want some cheap cards, get in before then. But be nice to my colleagues or else!! :angry:

Depends which bit of the West End Pat. From Tennant's Bar up, everything looks rosy, different story heading down from the bar into Partick. Lots of empty units.

6846970261_28ff02fb7f.jpg

to let by saltiresounds, on Flickr

Clintons closes it's doors today at 6pm, so if you want some cheap cards, get in before then. But be nice to my colleagues or else!! :angry:

Hard lines Lynnski. You are correct about Partick. It is looking more and more grim. I think some of the shops opening on Byres Road will have a struggle. Does the council offer any incentives in hard times? High rates do not help.

• 1 month later...

Hard lines Lynnski. You are correct about Partick. It is looking more and more grim. I think some of the shops opening on Byres Road will have a struggle. Does the council offer any incentives in hard times? High rates do not help.

Any movement on the career front, Lynnski, or are you going into politics as suggested elsewhere?

Any movement on the career front, Lynnski, or are you going into politics as suggested elsewhere?

I have quite literally just returned home from my first shift in a new job! It's in a shoe shop in the town. I'm still considering the politics though... :lol:

I have quite literally just returned home from my first shift in a new job! It's in a shoe shop in the town. I'm still considering the politics though... :lol:

That's great news, lynnski.