Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
Pat

China's success in education

It's amazing to read how successful children from all areas are within the Chinese Education System. It seems to be all about attitude and the conviction that educational attainment is the route to upward mobility and success.

"In China, more than nine out of 10 children tell you: 'It depends on the effort I invest and I can succeed if I study hard.'"

Another factor appears to be the notion that if you are not doing well at a subject it's because you are not working hard enough rather than the lack of natural proclivity.

Then the schools are not piles of crumpling bricks - in deprived areas the schools are likely to be the most impressive buildings.

China's results in international education tests - which have never been published - are "remarkable", says Andreas Schleicher, responsible for the highly-influential Pisa tests.

The envy of many Western countries.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17585201

If you believe in the kids they might believe in themselves. :rolleyes:

I wonder what cost these young kids pay later in life as a result of all this pressure. It would be nice to think we could develop an education system that inspires and supports children to do their best, at the same time as letting them enjoy their childhood. I am not sure they have the balance in China, despite the impressive results...

I wonder what cost these young kids pay later in life as a result of all this pressure. It would be nice to think we could develop an education system that inspires and supports children to do their best, at the same time as letting them enjoy their childhood. I am not sure they have the balance in China, despite the impressive results...

You could be right, harper, but there is something very sensible about working harder at those subjects you find difficult. I think building belief is a wonderful way of raising self-esteem and learning that you can achieve success if you work at something is a valuable lesson.

I think at lot of kids from deprived neighbourhoods fail because no-one believes in them - least of all themselves.

I watched a doc on the education system in china a few weeks ago...

the way they teach them English is amazing...teaching them sounds instead of words and letters.

kids as young as 10 had a grasp of it within 3 weeks.

it was amazing how fast they picked it up and said some education depts in English speaking countries where looking at it as a new way to teach even English kids.

The Chinese and Japanese have always "pushed" their kids to do better....sometimes a bit too much no doubt...its a cultural/poverty thing i think.