Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
Kitty

Greek Community in Glasgow West End

I do, so, hope that someone can give me some information and perhaps a little guidance.

I lived in the West End many, many years ago but moved away to London and have, to my deep regret, lost touch with what is now going on, in and around what I remember being one of the most vibrant and exciting areas of Glasgow.

I have a couple of very good Greek friends who are coming over from Athens to live in Glasgow for the next few years and I would like to do some homework on their behalf before they arrive.

They both also lived in the West End 30 years ago when we were all students. We knew it pretty well and were very happy here. At that time there was a relatively large Greek community, mostly from Cyprus (many of whom settled here after the conflict in Cyprus in 1974) who would attend St Luke’s Greek Orthodox Church and do some of their food shopping at a great wee shop in Great Western Road called The Mediterranean Delicatessens, sadly long gone.

Now, that information and guidance that I am hoping for comes in the form of telling me if:

1. There is still a Greek community here?

2. Are there any specific areas in Glasgow where the Greek community prefer to live?

3. There are any Greek/Turkish supermarkets and food shops around the West End today?

4. If not, where is the nearest place they could go to buy typical Mediterranean provisions?

5. There are any Greek restaurants in the West End or environs?

I will be immensely grateful for even the slightest piece of encouraging information that I can pass on to these lovely friends of mine.

Thank you so much

Regards

Kitty

Hi Kitty, Welcome to the forum. Regarding your questions, I'm sure your friends will find plenty of Greek connections in Glasgow. I go along every year to St Luke's Greek Cathedral to the Greek and Cypriot Market, which is part of the West End Festival and run by members of the Greek Community. That will take place in June this year so a good place for them to go along to if they have arrived by then.

There are certainly Greek restaurants - Konaki, Sauchiehall Street at Kelvingrove is very good and I noticed another restaurant at the week-end in Finnieston. The Athena Taverna, which looks nice. I used to go a lot to Cafe Sergei in Bridge Street and it was fantastic with Greek dancing and a real party atmosphere. It is now Zorba and would be worth checking out.

There is also a Hellenic Society, which has clubs and events for young people.

I have some Greek friends, who are in Greece at the moment but I can check out some of your other questions when they return. :)

Thank you so much for your reply, Pat. I certainly did not expect to hear from anyone so quickly.

I rather fancy the idea of going along to check out the Greek and Cypriot Market at the West End festival in June. Perhaps you could tell me where I could find further details on that event.

There doesn't appear to be any shortage of Greek restaurants, anyway.

And, I shall take advantage of your kind offer of your having a chat with your Greek friends on their return.

I am very grateful for your help, so far. It is so nice to be in touch with Glasgow again.

Regards

Kitty

Thank you so much for your reply, Pat. I certainly did not expect to hear from anyone so quickly.

I rather fancy the idea of going along to check out the Greek and Cypriot Market at the West End festival in June. Perhaps you could tell me where I could find further details on that event.

And, I shall take advantage of your kind offer of your having a chat with your Greek friends on their return.

I am very grateful for your help, so far. It is so nice to be in touch with Glasgow again.

Regards

Kitty

Good to hear from you too, Kitty, and glad if we can help. I'll keep my ear to the ground. :)

Regards

Kitty

Kitty,

I think that Scherezade, the Middle Eastern deli in Bank Street, would have most of the ingredients needed for Greek cuiine. They also sell delicious backlava, which you can also find in the lovely cafe, Enjoy, on Great Western Road at Kelvinbridge.

Kitty,

I think that Scherezade, the Middle Eastern deli in Bank Street, would have most of the ingredients needed for Greek cuiine. They also sell delicious backlava, which you can also find in the lovely cafe, Enjoy, on Great Western Road at Kelvinbridge.

Georgios Samaras who plays football for the Greek national team is also a striker for the Glasgow football team, Celtic :)

Georgios Samaras who plays football for the Greek national team is also a striker for the Glasgow football team, Celtic :)

Very interesting sammy but I do not think Gergios will be a main attraction. No unless he owns a Greek restaurant. :lol:

Thanks for those links, Maggs. I'll use their email addresses.

I appreciate your input!

Please keep the info coming, everyone, I'm really getting into the swing of this research on all good things Greek in Glasgow!

Regards

Kitty

Kitty maybe getting in touch with these might render more information.

http://www.glasgowhellenic.co.uk/

http://www.gla.ac.uk/clubs/hellenic/index.html

Scottish Hellenic Society Glasgow | Facebook

Ah, Pat! Now, these sound ideal for Mediterranean provisions! I had heard of a great deli in Bank St, it is most probably Scheherazade. Will try to pop in myself before my Greek friends come over. Must check out Enjoy also.

I managed to find out that The Taste of Greece and Cyprus Market(part of The West End Festival), you mentioned the other day, is on Sat 9 June, 10.00 to 15.00 at St Luke's, unfortunately I won't be around. That would have been an excellent opportunity to have a chat with some of the Glasgow/Greek community, I may have even have met someone I knew from way, way back!

Thank you, again, for all your helpful info!

Please keep it coming!!

Kitty

Kitty,

Here's an event that could be of interest:

Greece: Our Present Is Your Future Film, Food, Discussion

Thursday 28th June 6 - 9pm Albany Centre, Ashley Street

Free

A special event in collaboration with Camcorder Guerillas and Reel News with films examining the cause and affects of Greeks economic crisis and the communities trying to build an alternative.

Very interesting sammy but I do not think Gergios will be a main attraction. No unless he owns a Greek restaurant. :lol:

Have you seen his long hair, its not for nothing he is known as Gorgeous Georgios :D

Have you seen his long hair, its not for nothing he is known as Gorgeous Georgios :D

He'll be sending all his money home and saving on haircuts.

He is an example to his country folk.

Poor sowels. It's bad enough here. At least they have the sunshine and they'll have it all summer. We'll be back to snacking on the deep fried calamari before too long.

Poor sowels. It's bad enough here. At least they have the sunshine and they'll have it all summer. We'll be back to snacking on the deep fried calamari before too long.

Its deep fried caramacs

Hi again, I only just spotted this post (I haven't checked in for a while).

Thanks, Pat, it looks rather interesting. Think I'll pop in, myself, and see what I can learn.

Kind regards

Kitty

is post

Here's an event that could be of interest:

Greece: Our Present Is Your Future Film, Food, Discussion

Thursday 28th June 6 - 9pm Albany Centre, Ashley Street

Free

A special event in collaboration with Camcorder Guerillas and Reel News with films examining the cause and affects of Greeks economic crisis and the communities trying to build an alternative.

Hi again, I only just spotted this post (I haven't checked in for a while).

Thanks, Pat, it looks rather interesting. Think I'll pop in, myself, and see what I can learn.

Kind regards

Kitty

is post

Hope you make it along, Kitty.:)

Just back from St Luke's, what a beautiful building. We were allowed into the church which was a marvel, the walls loaded up with Gold coloured Icons.

The main hall was where the action was, loads of Greek mums serving home made food and quite delicious Greek coffee. Really enjoyed it and now have a fridge groaning from boxes of Moussaka, Greek meatballs and Baklava.

Yamas

Just back from St Luke's, what a beautiful building. We were allowed into the church which was a marvel, the walls loaded up with Gold coloured Icons.

The main hall was where the action was, loads of Greek mums serving home made food and quite delicious Greek coffee. Really enjoyed it and now have a fridge groaning from boxes of Moussaka, Greek meatballs and Baklava.

Yamas

Yes, it's gorgeous, samsc, and so's the food. I usually make it along but we had a birthday party for a five year old.

Yes, it's gorgeous, samsc, and so's the food. I usually make it along but we had a birthday party for a five year old.

One box of the Greek meatballs failed to make it home, son and daughter scoffing them in the car.

Hi samscafeamericain. Think those Greek mums must have seen you coming! Hope you enjoy the moussaka.

Kitty

They probably did Kitty, they probably did; but at least they had the decency to remove the stuff from the Tesco packaging. :D