Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End

Well the move to Ayr on Thursday went absolutely fine,Pickfords were beyond fabulous,and in no time the three cheery removalmen had humped all my bits of Ming and Chippendale into the pantecnicon.These were guys who brought you solutions,not problems.No slow intake of breath through thin lips if you asked them to move something,no indeed they were endlessly cheerfull.

I booked into a lovely b and b in Doonfoot for 2 nights,where the proprietors could'nt have been more thoughtfull,and after a 42 item cooked breakfast each morning I was rarin to go with the "moving in" bit.

It was Ayr races this weekend and the town was jumping..my goodness was it well attended with Walkers of Partick obviously having been raided,with many a paribuntal titfer topping off outfits in rainbow hues,and the sound of peerie heels clattering in and out of local shops and cash registers wringing much needed revenues from the visitors.God I'm beginning to sound like the HON man in the Sunday Post.

Anyway,the flats modernish with a sea view and needs the Willie touch to get it up to date,but thats starting on Monday.

So far everyone in the shops and restaurants has been extremely civil,and god bless Watt brothers and Savers here,two of my favourite emporiums.I may have some of my ashes scattered in them in homage,How come savers can do toothpaste at £1.00 when its £3.oo else where,and Watt brothers selling Lizzie Arden so cheap?

Anyway I will go just now and scrape some more Herring gull detritus off the Merc..thats the only downside so far.My goodness are those birds regular.

You know,i've never used paribuntal,detritus and pantechnicon for ages,but I feel the better of it,

Willie.x.

Well the move to Ayr on Thursday went absolutely fine,Pickfords were beyond fabulous,and in no time the three cheery removalmen had humped all my bits of Ming and Chippendale into the pantecnicon.These were guys who brought you solutions,not problems.No slow intake of breath through thin lips if you asked them to move something,no indeed they were endlessly cheerfull.

I booked into a lovely b and b in Doonfoot for 2 nights,where the proprietors could'nt have been more thoughtfull,and after a 42 item cooked breakfast each morning I was rarin to go with the "moving in" bit.

It was Ayr races this weekend and the town was jumping..my goodness was it well attended with Walkers of Partick obviously having been raided,with many a paribuntal titfer topping off outfits in rainbow hues,and the sound of peerie heels clattering in and out of local shops and cash registers wringing much needed revenues from the visitors.God I'm beginning to sound like the HON man in the Sunday Post.

Anyway,the flats modernish with a sea view and needs the Willie touch to get it up to date,but thats starting on Monday.

So far everyone in the shops and restaurants has been extremely civil,and god bless Watt brothers and Savers here,two of my favourite emporiums.I may have some of my ashes scattered in them in homage,How come savers can do toothpaste at £1.00 when its £3.oo else where,and Watt brothers selling Lizzie Arden so cheap?

Anyway I will go just now and scrape some more Herring gull detritus off the Merc..thats the only downside so far.My goodness are those birds regular.

You know,i've never used paribuntal,detritus and pantechnicon for ages,but I feel the better of it,

Willie.x.

So that's how the toffs do their flittings. Sounds as though you've made a right good job of the move, Willie. All the very best to you in your new home. A sea view - that's enviable.

Look forward to hearing all about the settling in phase. :)

Sweetie, you'll be up to yur ermpits, throwin' aff bubblewrap and positioning your objedart in no time.

It might help to "bind" the gulls if you cut doon on the wholemeal and throw them a couple of milanda doorsteps of a morning...even better, you might take a couple of the buggers oot, if your aim is good enough. :P

I hope you are very happy in your new home, Willie and look forward to hearing all the new characters you meet on your travels.

Willie I wish you well in your new home. My daughter lived in Doonfoot for a few years and I thoroughly enjoyed my wee days oot visiting her. The beach is so much quieter along that way and many a walk I had on it. I miss my wee jaunts, it's not quite the same visiting her in Clarkston. (That's no a hint for an invite ;) )

Sweetie, you'll be up to yur ermpits, throwin' aff bubblewrap and positioning your objedart in no time.

It might help to "bind" the gulls if you cut doon on the wholemeal and throw them a couple of milanda doorsteps of a morning...even better, you might take a couple of the buggers oot, if your aim is good enough. :P

I hope you are very happy in your new home, Willie and look forward to hearing all the new characters you meet on your travels.

Oooh Miss Harper,

I think "gull binding" may be an offence here under a local seafaring by-law.

Its changed days for gulls now of course,not for them the drudge of following the trawler boats for tasty gutting scraps,or deep sea diving for a little whitebait.Oh no,they prefer the easy sedentary pickings of discarded donners,quatro staggione pizzas,chips,nachos etc.Many a gull now has feathers that are girding on them,and i've seen my first gull taking a mobility scooter to the beach whilst smoking.They simply wont fly anywhere now,let alone walk.

So you can see where this is going can't you,

Willie.x.

Willie I wish you well in your new home. My daughter lived in Doonfoot for a few years and I thoroughly enjoyed my wee days oot visiting her. The beach is so much quieter along that way and many a walk I had on it. I miss my wee jaunts, it's not quite the same visiting her in Clarkston. (That's no a hint for an invite ;) )

Good morning all.........7.56 AM in Ridgetown so there's near enough four more hours of morning to come. What a good, happy, upbeat thread...."walking on Ayr" did catch my eye and i dae remember that Glen Campbell was the singer who did the intro for the tv series.

Willie, sounds like you have found your piece of heaven; mind if thon Maggs gies ye a visit, yur hert wull be lost forever.

I am in a one bedroom flat and it is all i could wish for.....and the rent is less than $300.00 a month.

awfy busy the last wee while but the immediate future should see me with a bit of time on my hands.

Bridge the day and tomorrow but the company has departed so wull be visiting glasgowwestend oan the weekend.....must admit that the last month was unbelievably guid.

tam

ps one of my precious lassies bought an ipad2 for me and i cannae seem to log on we it......nae idea why but the auld mac is still healthy, mibee no real healthy but age does take it's toll.

Good morning all.........7.56 AM in Ridgetown so there's near enough four more hours of morning to come. What a good, happy, upbeat thread...."walking on Ayr" did catch my eye and i dae remember that Glen Campbell was the singer who did the intro for the tv series.

Willie, sounds like you have found your piece of heaven; mind if thon Maggs gies ye a visit, yur hert wull be lost forever.

I am in a one bedroom flat and it is all i could wish for.....and the rent is less than $300.00 a month.

awfy busy the last wee while but the immediate future should see me with a bit of time on my hands.

Bridge the day and tomorrow but the company has departed so wull be visiting glasgowwestend oan the weekend.....must admit that the last month was unbelievably guid.

tam

ps one of my precious lassies bought an ipad2 for me and i cannae seem to log on we it......nae idea why but the auld mac is still healthy, mibee no real healthy but age does take it's toll.

Good to hear that things are going well for you too, tam. It certainly is pleasant to have an 'upbeat thread'. Hope you'll be happy in your new home too.

I have flitting very much on my mind at the moment.

Well thats my first week in Ayr in.I can't believe its gone so quickly.Its been workmen in the flat all week doing their stuff,rewiring,decorating and laying floors.I think I might have ommitted to say that this is my 31st move,and would like to think it was my last!Getting too old.

The good thing is that the furniture has moved so many times that it knows its place off by heart,and its like one of those Disney cartoons where four blue-birds take the linens out of the tea chests, fold them neatly,and fly them into the cupboard,or at least I wish.

But all in all people here seem lovely.I nearly fell off my perch in B.H.S.when the manageress offered to drive me back home with the stuff I had bought which was a bit bulky, rather than walk.Perhaps based on my great age,but nevertheless a kindness she didn't have to extend.Most shops are well stocked and staffed with cheery assistants.

Nieghbours in a flatted property can make or break the karma,but they too all seem very nice and extremely friendly.I hope one of them is good at jams and tray bakes for they will get my special attention.

I see that flitting is on your mind Pat,I think you had mentioned you were in the art deco cinema complex.Was it just a bit to far away from the west end hub?

No there's no board walk in Ayr Miss Canny that i've seen so far,but the proms very nice all the same,

Willie.x

Well thats my first week in Ayr in.I can't believe its gone so quickly.Its been workmen in the flat all week doing their stuff,rewiring,decorating and laying floors.I think I might have ommitted to say that this is my 31st move,and would like to think it was my last!Getting too old.

The good thing is that the furniture has moved so many times that it knows its place off by heart,and its like one of those Disney cartoons where four blue-birds take the linens out of the tea chests, fold them neatly,and fly them into the cupboard,or at least I wish.

But all in all people here seem lovely.I nearly fell off my perch in B.H.S.when the manageress offered to drive me back home with the stuff I had bought which was a bit bulky, rather than walk.Perhaps based on my great age,but nevertheless a kindness she didn't have to extend.Most shops are well stocked and staffed with cheery assistants.

Nieghbours in a flatted property can make or break the karma,but they too all seem very nice and extremely friendly.I hope one of them is good at jams and tray bakes for they will get my special attention.

I see that flitting is on your mind Pat,I think you had mentioned you were in the art deco cinema complex.Was it just a bit to far away from the west end hub?

No there's no board walk in Ayr Miss Canny that i've seen so far,but the proms very nice all the same,

Willie.x

Great to hear that it's all going so well, Willie, although with all those moves under your belt you must have the flitting business down to a fine art. Never mind those blue-birds. You seem to be working your charm on everyone in your new location but what is it with you and the 'too old malarkay'. I think you're round about the same age as me and I'm a kid. :)

Yes, we're in The Picture House, Willie. I've never really settled but we're so busy that it's hard even getting organised enough to get the flat onto the market and then I don't know how long it might take to sell?

When we moved from Hillhead we bought first knowing that our property would sell easily - it was only on the market for a fortnight. Things are a bit different now.