Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
Pat

The Economist

Dear oh dear. What a silly prank for a serious magazine. Slick parodying of Scotland with a map of Skintland and all areas renamed with cruel wit - from The Orkward and Shutland Islands down through Aberdown, Edinborrow, Glasgone to the Loanlands.

Inside the point being made is that "independence could leave Scotland "one of Europe's vulnerable, marginal economies".

However, despite this claim it does set the record straight that "Scotland is not subsidised from Westminster, the Scottish economy performs better than any other nation or region in the UK outside south-east England, and we account for 10% of the UK's GDP with just 8.4% of the population."

http://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/political-news/anger-over-magazines-skintland-jibe.17243631

I doubt many will get beyond the childish prank of the insulting map.

I'd say that sales of The Economist will soar - maybe that's the idea?

Does it have a racist reek?

Dear oh dear. What a silly prank for a serious magazine. Slick parodying of Scotland with a map of Skintland and all areas renamed with cruel wit - from The Orkward and Shutland Islands down through Aberdown, Edinborrow, Glasgone to the Loanlands.

Inside the point being made is that "independence could leave Scotland "one of Europe's vulnerable, marginal economies".

However, despite this claim it does set the record straight that "Scotland is not subsidised from Westminster, the Scottish economy performs better than any other nation or region in the UK outside south-east England, and we account for 10% of the UK's GDP with just 8.4% of the population."

http://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/political-news/anger-over-magazines-skintland-jibe.17243631

I doubt many will get beyond the childish prank of the insulting map.

I'd say that sales of The Economist will soar - maybe that's the idea?

Does it have a racist reek?

Its a quite appauling article which further demonstrates their ignorance. Remember this was the magazine that was spouting about the genius of the Lehman Bros management team in 2007.

Its a quite appauling article which further demonstrates their ignorance. Remember this was the magazine that was spouting about the genius of the Lehman Bros management team in 2007.

I think I saw an advert for vacancies at The Economist. 'Daft boeys wanted. Preferably with a warped sense of humour and anti Scots sentiments.'

I think I saw an advert for vacancies at The Economist. 'Daft boeys wanted. Preferably with a warped sense of humour and anti Scots sentiments.'

:lol: :lol: looks like they've got a few, CL. I'm sure they could also use some daft lassies. The type that think they're smart. The map certainly won't be boosting sales North of the Border.