Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
maggs

Vicar jailed

'In the past he has spoken of his 'regret' and has said he has no idea what made him break the law, and for such a long period of time.'

I don't suppose the 30 grand he made swayed him

Guest thomas

Could it also be pressures of the job?

The lonliness of his calling? It can be the hardest and most thankless role within modern secular society.

The expectations and demands? So many demands that so few understand, even clergy spouses have difficulties with understanding the commitments and demands.

The stipend (salary) which is relatively low for the hours undertaken? Whilst this coutnry has a 'miniumn wage' quite often the hours worked, the demands of time all exceed the normal or average working week of 'Joe Bloggs'.

The multi tasking required and expected even if he does not have the actual talents? In some ways he is a facilitator, referee, counsellor, mediator, form filler, wedding, marriage and funeral celebrant, but not restricted to those roles either.

The demands of his Parish, Diocese and Secularism combined? The multi-cultural aspects of a busy parish, with many demands to accomodate a 'pic 'n' mix' religion and be all things to all people. Trying to combine the parish duty aspects, his obligation to his Diocese and the ever growing secular society that has turned its back on religious institutions and religion in general but at the same time the pressures dealing with a new and emerging form of spirituality, that has no religious affiliation to any denomination or faith in particular.

The naive belief that he was 'helping' marginalised members of society? He perhaps saw the boundaries as being opened to all, and therefore helped to bring immigrants in to the country, in a false assumption that this was a 'Christian act of charity.'

I read the story and found much of it difficult to accept, I felt sorry in one respect for the man for all his work has been thrown away and once again, the 'church' universal will receive criticism from all and sundry. The church will also come under fire from those who are strongly opposed to religious insitutions or religion of any kind.

It doesn't take away from the fact that he done wrong and has been rightly punished for his actions, but I do wonder if the money was the real objective of his actions...

Sorry foks forgot the link http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-17601286

Thomas at first when I started reading your post I thought it was tongue in cheek

'Could it also be pressures of the job?

The lonliness of his calling? It can be the hardest and most thankless role within modern secular society.'

I'm sure he must have been very aware of what the job entailed !

I think greed had more to do with this than anything else, if he wanted to help marginalised people then why did he pocket all the money and not put it into the coffers of the church ?

Sorry foks forgot the link http://www.bbc.co.uk...london-17601286

Thomas at first when I started reading your post I thought it was tongue in cheek

'Could it also be pressures of the job?

The lonliness of his calling? It can be the hardest and most thankless role within modern secular society.'

I'm sure he must have been very aware of what the job entailed !

I think greed had more to do with this than anything else, if he wanted to help marginalised people then why did he pocket all the money and not put it into the coffers of the church ?

I agree, Maggs. The motivation seems to be greed, pure and simple. He looks right creepy as well but that's not a criminal offence.

Guest thomas

I am sure greed eventually played a part, but I am not so sure that he 'knew what all the job entails' are any of us totally sure of what all our jobs entail?

I have no sympathies for his actions but I do have some for him.

I am sure greed eventually played a part, but I am not so sure that he 'knew what all the job entails' are any of us totally sure of what all our jobs entail?

I have no sympathies for his actions but I do have some for him.

There doesn't seem to be much of a grey area here, Thomas. He deliberately set out to break the law and scam people.

Admittedly, when I started my job I wasn't clear about all that it entailed but that wouldn't lead me to criminal actions. I don't consider this man's job any more stressful than a lot of peoples. What is it that you are reacting to?

Guest thomas

I wouldn't use the language, 'reacting' but rather I feel sympathy towards the man. I do not believe he entered into ministry, with the intent of becoming corrupt. It is after all not a normal job, it is vocational/calling into ministry.

Now he is the subject of discussion and yet again the 'church' is in some quarters 'targeted' by some - as if this man represents all clergy.

£30k does seem like a lot of money and in order to turn that figure out, he must have been doing some amount of weddings. I know there were queues outside his door going by the press, but how did he manage to go unchallenged? What gets me is how this boom in one particular parish went on so long without being challenged or at least questions asked. The Register General or it's equal body in England and Wales should surely have noticed an upsurge before now?

I wouldn't use the language, 'reacting' but rather I feel sympathy towards the man. I do not believe he entered into ministry, with the intent of becoming corrupt. It is after all not a normal job, it is vocational/calling into ministry.

Now he is the subject of discussion and yet again the 'church' is in some quarters 'targeted' by some - as if this man represents all clergy.

£30k does seem like a lot of money and in order to turn that figure out, he must have been doing some amount of weddings. I know there were queues outside his door going by the press, but how did he manage to go unchallenged? What gets me is how this boom in one particular parish went on so long without being challenged or at least questions asked. The Register General or it's equal body in England and Wales should surely have noticed an upsurge before now?

I see your point Thomas but you know that there are many people just waiting for somebody in the church to put a foot wrong. It's been a very big bandwagon. I cannot comment other than that as it is the type of news that I find very uninteresting and usually reported with a specific agenda.