Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
Pat

Kindle

I got a Kindle for one of my birthday presents. Now getting my head around it. I've managed to purchase a few books, starting with my all time favourite, Joyce's The Dubliners.

The contents page doesn't show the list of short stories so I guess you have to know beforehand what they are. I need to do a search for The Dead.

I don't think the Kindle will be the same as holding a paperback in my hands but it'll be handy when going away - definitely lighten the case.

How's your electronic reading?

Still not convinced! I like the look and feel and smell of real books, however a Kindle is so light it would suit my poor stupid hand better than a heavy book sometimes. My mum had to spend a lot of time in hospital recently, about 5 weeks in total on and off, and got through 4 books. Certainly a lighter load to carry back and forth than 4 actual books. :lol: I can see it being good for people who travel a lot, maybe for their job, as it can be taken on in your hand luggage without taking up too much space, and no need to bulk up suitcases with paperbacks.

I'm resisting the kindle... but then I said that about the Ipod. dry.gif

It's certainly very handy. Still need to learn how to take notes on it. You get some amazing bargains - even free books. :)

Mind you. I could be persuaded if you can zoom the size of the text. I find small, close set text kwite challenging these days... :lol:

Mind you. I could be persuaded if you can zoom the size of the text. I find small, close set text kwite challenging these days... :lol:

You can make the text larger, harper. I thought that it lit up so that you didn't need the bed lamp but it doesn't. Jim bought me a wee lamp to clip on so that's handy.

One disadvantage is that I'm not sure how much of the book I still have to read and it's a bit different from holding a nice new book in your hands. Still, some advantages.

Aye, and no pages to turn down. :(

(I am aware I have just given thousands of book readers the heebie jeebies... :P )

I got a kobo recently. I really like it - especially if I'm hanging around at sports/swimming lessons/any other kid related activity which involves waiting as it is so light I just throw it in my handbag and I've always got something on hand to read. There are lots of free books available, mostly classics. I like that it's not backlit so the glare doesn't give me a headache and it looks like a real page. The only downside is if I haven't charged it and I go to get it out and I can't continue reading my book till I recharge it :) bit of a first world problem there...Doesn't replace real books for me but is a very convenient addition to my real book collection.

I got a kobo recently. I really like it - especially if I'm hanging around at sports/swimming lessons/any other kid related activity which involves waiting as it is so light I just throw it in my handbag and I've always got something on hand to read. There are lots of free books available, mostly classics. I like that it's not backlit so the glare doesn't give me a headache and it looks like a real page. The only downside is if I haven't charged it and I go to get it out and I can't continue reading my book till I recharge it :) bit of a first world problem there...Doesn't replace real books for me but is a very convenient addition to my real book collection.

It is convenient, Gayle, especially for the type of outing you describe. I must be getting to rely on my kindle because I can't find it at the moment. That's where the small and slim aspect can be a problem. :lol: