Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
Pat

Storm warning

Red alert from the Met Office with gales of 90 miles an hour expected today (Thursday). Forecast for Glasgow says gales of 69 mph.

The worse of the weather is expected to hit Glasgow between 3 - 6 p.m.

Schools in Renfrewshire will close at 1 p.m.

I'm having snow envy. :(

Looking forward to some nice pictures LG?

It's severe gales and rain, harper, no snow. The snow has even disappeared from the hills.

My windchimes are working overtime. The worse is forecast later this afternoon but it's already pretty scary. That's my 'important things to do today' list binned. :rolleyes:

It's severe gales and rain, harper, no snow. The snow has even disappeared from the hills.

My windchimes are working overtime. The worse is forecast later this afternoon but it's already pretty scary. That's my 'important things to do today' list binned. :rolleyes:

Here's a stormcam looking over the Squinty Bridge. It looks reasonably calm, although, the Clyde looks a bit rougher than usual.

Just watched the News and Helensburgh is taking a battering - lots of problems in Argyll including power cuts. They say it's going to get worse.

http://news.stv.tv/scotland/286051-stormcam-live-video-as-the-storm-hits-scotland/

Here's a stormcam looking over the Squinty Bridge. It looks reasonably calm, although, the Clyde looks a bit rougher than usual.

Just watched the News and Helensburgh is taking a battering - lots of problems in Argyll including power cuts. They say it's going to get worse.

http://news.stv.tv/scotland/286051-stormcam-live-video-as-the-storm-hits-scotland/

I work in one of the offices overlooking the clyde, it was interesting to see the Clyde being blown upstream

I work in one of the offices overlooking the clyde, it was interesting to see the Clyde being blown upstream

I'm glad Jim's home safe and sound and I have the kids here as well. Hot chocolate all round. :)

On the way home Jim saw a tree uprooted on Great Western Road and Byres Road has been closed for some reason.

I've just been watching the BBC news coverage - it's shocking! I felt sorry for their on the sport reporter. She was soaked ot the skins and really having to steel herself again the wind.

Major incident in Yorkshire now ... :( Take care folks...

I've just been watching the BBC news coverage - it's shocking! I felt sorry for their on the sport reporter. She was soaked ot the skins and really having to steel herself again the wind.

Major incident in Yorkshire now ... :( Take care folks...

Byres Road closed because a bit of metal blew off a roof.

Mother in law lives on Bute and they have lost all electricity - she'll just have to use her wand to create light ...illuminatum B)

Byres Road closed because a bit of metal blew off a roof.

Mother in law lives on Bute and they have lost all electricity - she'll just have to use her wand to create light ...illuminatum B)

:lol:

I've got to say there's been a lot of laughter over the storm.

http://chirb.it/8ahIkr

STV were even kind enough to offer a description of what 'bawbag' meant to non-Scottish readers of their website, as the storm was swiftly nicknamed 'Hurricane Bawbag' on twitter:

http://entertainment.stv.tv/opinion/286086-scotlands-hurricane-bawbag-raises-twitter-storm-the-top-reactions/

I've laughed all day. Well not exactly true. I had the wind up (excuse pun) around two p.m. when I was absolutely sure our windows were about to come in.

I've watched this half a dozen times.

Loved that :) Watched it about 5 times! It's the guys voice that's the funniest bit for me :lol:

Loved that :) Watched it about 5 times! It's the guys voice that's the funniest bit for me :lol:

You're right,lynnski, that's what makes it so funny.

I see 60,000 homes are without power tonight. Poor souls. That means that most of them will still have all the fun to look forward to when they can switch their computers back on.

Lovely and calm out there. :)

We had great fun last night flying kites (or trying too) and laughing at all the hurricane bb stuff

I love the Glasgow banter. I prefer it to the stiff upper lip.

Me too, rory.

The kites sound like fun, tig. You may have another opportunity later in the week as more gales forecast, although, they don't seem too sure yet where exactly they will hit. However, the forecast tomorrow is for snow in Glasgow at tea time.

Wrap up and hope you're not all mad at me for removing the never ending Uggs spam. :lol:

oh i was eyeing up sledges in the shops today....hopefully it lies this time.

i love the winter :D

oh i was eyeing up sledges in the shops today....hopefully it lies this time.

i love the winter :D

Sledging is definitely a lot of fun. Great places for sledging in Clydebank, like the High Park in Parkhall and Dalmuir Park. Big hills and children (and adults) safe. I suppose Kelvingrove would be a possibility in the West End but can't think of other suitable locations for this activity. Any spots in mind, tig?

The sky looks threatening, as my mum was wont to say. :rolleyes:

big big hill in littlehill golf course...nowhere near trees or traffic etc so its as safe as....

however im heading to balloch tomo and have been eyeing up the big hill in balloch park..long run off at the bottom but quite steep so speed/breaking might be an issue...cycle helmets on me thinks

big big hill in littlehill golf course...nowhere near trees or traffic etc so its as safe as....

however im heading to balloch tomo and have been eyeing up the big hill in balloch park..long run off at the bottom but quite steep so speed/breaking might be an issue...cycle helmets on me thinks

Good call with Balloch Park, tig, but be careful you don't go fleein' into the loch.

I took a jaunt over to the Southside today. Had a very nice lunch with my ex-boss at Glasgow Caledonian and then ventured further south to check out the new Whole Foods Market at Giffnock. I bought a few deli treats and then, curiosity satisfied, jumped on a No 38 to head back home via the city centre. Reckoned it would take at the most 40 mins.

However, the road was closed at Pollokshaws due to an unsafe building. I sat on the bus for half an hour after being told by the driver that we would be headed off shortly. Then that was changed to 'no buses going to the city centre for hours'.

I trudged to East Pollokshaws Station in a gale with my two paper bags disintegrating in the rain. Sadly the trains were delayed due to the inclement weather so waited there for 40 minutes in a shelter designed for the Canaries. Fortunately, there was a very cheery couple also sheltering and the woman insisted on giving me a very strong 'bag for life' so that solved the message carrying issue.

The arrival of the train wss a moment of pure joy and ten minutes later it had reached Central Station. However, there were further train cancellations and delays so I headed out to take a taxi but there was a huge queue and not a taxi in sight. So I waited in the lineup to buy a ticket then down to the lower level to wait, for another twenty minutes.

It was great to get home. My son and I ordered Chinese, which was delicious and I'm now half watching River City. I don't recognise some faces as I haven't watched it in while. There seems to be a lot of romance. Lenny has a girlfriend and Nicole has a boyfriend and Scarlett's daughter is home - I've forgotten her name but she's lovely and has a date with Gabriel.

I think I'll dig out my crochet now. It looks nasty out there - maybe just stay in tomorrow. :lol: