• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Pat

Pat

Sitting on my favourite seat

• Root Admin
  • 19,501 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 10:33 PM

Thousands of complaints have gone into the BBC about horrible comments made by Clarkson about the strikers yesterday. 'I would take them outside and execute them in front of their families'.

David Cameron thought he was 'silly'. Clarkson has now apologised but pretty arrogant and offensive behaviour. Why would anyone want this man on their show? I better not say what I really think of him. :)
This is me since yistirday.

#2 harper

harper

Joined the family

• Administrators
  • 5,878 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 08:24 AM

I think Clarkson's His comments were very much in keeping with his humour. I don't believe he means half of what he says when feigning outrage. The remak was ill timed and stupid and he has apologised.
Glasgow Zen: On the oneness of self and the universe: It's aw wan tae me!

#3 lynnski

lynnski

Joined the family

• Administrators
  • 5,189 posts
  • Interests:www.squintyjewellery.co.uk

Posted 02 December 2011 - 12:03 PM

And he didn't just say 'take them out and shoot them', it was meant to be satire, and I think taking the piss out of the BBC more than anything:

Haven't heard the later comment he made about suicide, which has had less complaints, but which sounds far more upsetting and vicious to me, especially so soon after Gary Speed's death, albeit not under a train.

"Patience is like bread I say, I ran out of that yesterday" © Lemonheads

#4 Pat

Pat

• Root Admin
  • 19,501 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 12:20 PM

And he didn't just say 'take them out and shoot them', it was meant to be satire, and I think taking the piss out of the BBC more than anything:

Haven't heard the later comment he made about suicide, which has had less complaints, but which sounds far more upsetting and vicious to me, especially so soon after Gary Speed's death, albeit not under a train.

I think it is his sense of humour. Obviously not shared or appreciated by the thousands who complained but hey, all good publicity. I think his two side kicks would do fine without him. The man loves cars, what else has he got going for him? Not a lot that I can see.

He should pull his socks up and watch his job because apart from his loutish behaviour he's no got a voice for radio.

#5 lynnski

lynnski

Joined the family

• Administrators
  • 5,189 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 01:03 PM

Yeah but the thousands who complained have got the wrong end of the stick! :lol: A classic moral panic if ever I heard one, shame it didn't happen last week and I could have put it in my essay :lol:

#6 Pat

Pat

• Root Admin
  • 19,501 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 01:22 PM

Yeah but the thousands who complained have got the wrong end of the stick! :lol: A classic moral panic if ever I heard one, shame it didn't happen last week and I could have put it in my essay :lol:

Well, I couldn't comment on what end of the stick all of those folk got, lynnski. I would say that they don't feel like paying fees to the Beeb to listen to garbage. Or maybe some smartie pants thought, 'hey, here's an opportunity to get rid of this unpleasant bore'. Or some strikers with children watching the programme might just have been rightfully angry. They'll not be a homogenous bunch that's for sure.

#7 tig

tig

Staying for dinner

• Members
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 04:20 PM

He's a comedian (well sort of) so I don't know why people complain about what he says....its meant as humour
gfumph

#8 Pat

Pat

• Root Admin
  • 19,501 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 01:52 AM

He's a comedian (well sort of) so I don't know why people complain about what he says....its meant as humour

He's a comedian, alright, tig. I'm just delighted that 21,000 people were scunnered enough to contact the Beeb. Let's hope that this gives them a taste and that in future they'll make their voices heard regarding other more important matters.

And maybe comedians will stick with what people, in general, think is funny.

The One Show is a pretty strange programme. I don't like the format where you have somebody interesting, and even a true celebrity, on the show and they only get to speak for two minutes before you are whisked off out of the studio. That's usually for another two minutes and could be an important health topic or fascinating nature discussion. But hey, back to the studio for some drawings sent in by kids.

They need a big rethink. Let the interesting guests speak and don't invite eejits on.

#9 harper

harper

Joined the family

• Administrators
  • 5,878 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 10:13 AM

I like the One Show when Chris Evans is on.

The whole debate seems to have developed into a driscussion about whether people have the right to be offended. ...And just to be clear: I respect people's right to be offended, providing they respect my right not to be, but I find it extremely offensive when people get offended at my right to be offended and then let themselves off the hook by shouting PC! That's no right ataw.:lol:

#10 Pat

Pat

• Root Admin
  • 19,501 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 11:25 AM

I like the One Show when Chris Evans is on.

The whole debate seems to have developed into a driscussion about whether people have the right to be offended. ...And just to be clear: I respect people's right to be offended, providing they respect my right not to be, but I find it extremely offensive when people get offended at my right to be offended and then let themselves off the hook by shouting PC! That's no right ataw.:lol:

:lol:

I think Chris Evans would agree with that.

PC has come full circle and PC accusations come in handy - in particular they allow the right to air prejudices and to be offended (in a non PC way, of course) when others are offended.

We didn't know about PC in our house when we were wee, I think it came under the banner of good manners and consideration. I fear a Jeremy in our house would have his ear cuffed, in a non-PC way, on a regular basis.

Mind you, there's not a soul alive who is not offended by something. S'pose that makes everyone PC? :)

#11 maggs

maggs

maggs

• Members
  • 4,472 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 04:35 PM

I fear a Jeremy in our house would have his ear cuffed, in a non-PC way, on a regular basis.

I think a Jeremy in any of the pubs I drink in would have the piss ripped right oot him
Be happy while you're living, For you're a long time dead

#12 Pat

Pat

• Root Admin
  • 19,501 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 06:50 PM

I think a Jeremy in any of the pubs I drink in would have the piss ripped right oot him

Same in any Glasgow pub, I would imagine, Maggs. In the main I can't go pub talk. That's probably the price I pay for being a non-drinker. :)

#13 Hingmie

Hingmie

Comes in without knocking first

• Members
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 10:37 PM

A comedian ? I have never thought so. I believed he was a presenter. Which comedy presentaions/ shows have you seen him in ?
Always seeking, always hoping, often disappointed. When posting I only voice one opinion; my own.

#14 tig

tig

Staying for dinner

• Members
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 01:39 AM

A comedian ? I have never thought so. I believed he was a presenter. Which comedy presentaions/ shows have you seen him in ?

well theres that show called "top gear" thats more about humour than about cars most of the time and ive read a couple of his books....very funny indeed imo.
im not a fan of his politics or his mates tho.
gfumph

#15 samscafeamericain

samscafeamericain

Joined the family

• Administrators
  • 6,021 posts
  • Interests:wide and varied, like a drunk fat person

Posted 04 December 2011 - 07:03 AM

I see he has now complained that those who commit suicide on train tracks really incovenience commuters......time to be put out to grass old boy
The reasonable expectations of honest men must be protected.

'Fiat justitia ruat caelum'

#16 harper

harper

Joined the family

• Administrators
  • 5,878 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 09:19 AM

I don't know that I would have used the word "inconvenienced" but the impact on others who witness these events is huge. Many of the drivers never return to work and passengers are often traumatised.

Sadly, platform jumping is fairly common in London. The announcements are fairly bland: "Delays due to an incident on the line at whatever station". The grumbling tends to happen further up the line as people reroute their journeys. I am sure if Clarkson was ever unfortunately enough to witness an event like this he wouldn't be so glib.

I think his book has had enough publicity... :rolleyes:

#17 Pat

Pat

• Root Admin
  • 19,501 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 03:19 PM

I don't know that I would have used the word "inconvenienced" but the impact on others who witness these events is huge. Many of the drivers never return to work and passengers are often traumatised.

Sadly, platform jumping is fairly common in London. The announcements are fairly bland: "Delays due to an incident on the line at whatever station". The grumbling tends to happen further up the line as people reroute their journeys. I am sure if Clarkson was ever unfortunately enough to witness an event like this he wouldn't be so glib.

I think his book has had enough publicity... :rolleyes:

Not unless sales are down. Could be he's made the wrong call. :rolleyes:

#18 lynnski

lynnski

Joined the family

• Administrators
  • 5,189 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 03:00 PM

Seriously, the comments made by Clarkson about the strikers are pure satire, nothing else. If you watch the actual clip you can see that. The comments he made about suicide later that same interview, which he fully expanded in his weekend newspaper column, I'm not so sure. The fact that 21,000 people complained about the strikers comments when the suicide thing hardly registered on the radar sums up the whole situation to me, a knee-jerk reaction to an offensive, but ultimately satirical comment which then totally renders the rest of the interview almost unseen. His article on suicide is horrible, distasteful and downright offensive, yet thanks to those 21,000 people who are shouting so loudly over what is pretty much nothing, that article is going almost unnoticed.

http://www.guardian....alising-suicide

The comment about the strikers deserves nothing more than a roll of the eyes, a tut, and an 'oh bloody hell Clarkson, not again'. The article on suicide should be the one that gets him sacked, but then, it is the Sun he works for, so they're not likely to give a shit, are they?

#19 Pat

Pat

• Root Admin
  • 19,501 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 07:43 PM

Seriously, the comments made by Clarkson about the strikers are pure satire, nothing else. If you watch the actual clip you can see that. The comments he made about suicide later that same interview, which he fully expanded in his weekend newspaper column, I'm not so sure. The fact that 21,000 people complained about the strikers comments when the suicide thing hardly registered on the radar sums up the whole situation to me, a knee-jerk reaction to an offensive, but ultimately satirical comment which then totally renders the rest of the interview almost unseen. His article on suicide is horrible, distasteful and downright offensive, yet thanks to those 21,000 people who are shouting so loudly over what is pretty much nothing, that article is going almost unnoticed.

http://www.guardian....alising-suicide

The comment about the strikers deserves nothing more than a roll of the eyes, a tut, and an 'oh bloody hell Clarkson, not again'. The article on suicide should be the one that gets him sacked, but then, it is the Sun he works for, so they're not likely to give a shit, are they?

Among the 21,000, who complained about his One Show larks, I would imagine that there would be many who found his remarks on both topics 'horrible, distasteful and downright offensive', lynnski.

Equally I think there will be those who also consider the remarks in his Sun column to be satire.

I don't think his remarks on suicide have gone unnoticed - I thought there had been considerable backlash - looks to me like a well publicised controversy. There has certainly been a response from Suicide and Mental Health Charities and, no doubt, many individuals. I doubt The Sun will be reporting how many complaints they have received and as you say - they are unlikely to respond.

I don't see how the 21,000 people who complained about his shenanigans on The One Show can be considered in any way to blame for The Sun not taking action. After all they printed his views.

Do we know the breakdown of how many were complaining about his remarks relating to the strikers, to suicide or both. I think, in general, people just consider him to be a loudmouthed, arrogant, waste of space with a 1 million paycheck.

#20 Hingmie

Hingmie

Comes in without knocking first

• Members
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 09:36 PM

Among the 21,000, who complained about his One Show larks, I would imagine that there would be many who found his remarks on both topics 'horrible, distasteful and downright offensive', lynnski.

Equally I think there will be those who also consider the remarks in his Sun column to be satire.

I don't think his remarks on suicide have gone unnoticed - I thought there had been considerable backlash - looks to me like a well publicised controversy. There has certainly been a response from Suicide and Mental Health Charities and, no doubt, many individuals. I doubt The Sun will be reporting how many complaints they have received and as you say - they are unlikely to respond.

I don't see how the 21,000 people who complained about his shenanigans on The One Show can be considered in any way to blame for The Sun not taking action. After all they printed his views.

Do we know the breakdown of how many were complaining about his remarks relating to the strikers, to suicide or both. I think, in general, people just consider him to be a loudmouthed, arrogant, waste of space with a 1 million paycheck.

Always seeking, always hoping, often disappointed. When posting I only voice one opinion; my own.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users