Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
Pat

Any Plans for Christmas?

I've just realized that Christmas is round the corner. I'm not feeling too festive at the moment. Maybe a trip down to Princes Square will put me in the mood. It's usually lovely. Although, not the ideal place to take my shopping list. :lol:

I think I'll take the weans to the panto at Cottiers.

Going to the panto at the Kings

Try my damndest to miss the office Christmas party

Kill or be killed in the stampede to get an M&S Turkey crown

Make christmas dinner starting with a wee sherry about 10:30 hrs

:D

Going to the panto at the Kings

Try my damndest to miss the office Christmas party

Kill or be killed in the stampede to get an M&S Turkey crown

Make christmas dinner starting with a wee sherry about 10:30 hrs

:D

I've got mixed memories of office Christmas Parties, samsc. Some were great fun and others not so good. I've had some very poor quality expensive meals - if you know what I mean. :lol:

I might scoot over to the new Whole Foods Market in Giffnock to do some Christmas shopping.

Sounds splendid - http://bit.ly/sSJcOm

Enough to entice me across the river. I've been to the shop a few times in Canada and it's wonderful.

On the first day of Christmas, My true love sent to me. A bottle of 15 year old malt.

On the fourth day of Christmas, my true love saide to me " Why don't you answer my txts ? and where the f ** k have you been the last few days? "

On the first day of Christmas, My true love sent to me. A bottle of 15 year old malt.

On the fourth day of Christmas, my true love saide to me " Why don't you answer my txts ? and where the f ** k have you been the last few days? "

You've got all this drama to look forward to and I'm excited about a fancy supermarket. :lol:

I think my "merry christmas" has already begun. Wednesday took the DinL for lunch, panzurotti and half of mine came home with me to be re-heated....one grandson was with us.

Early last week sent an invite to second eldest daughter for lunch. We decided on me going up to London(Ontario). Today was the day and daughter brought two of her sons and the girlfriend of the elder.

Lunch was preceded with a super greeting from three dugs,two of which are getting on in years and Shilo, short haired German pointer, has gone deaf....it took him a few minutes to realize I was there and his exuberance was heart warming..AND...he didnae pee. The rottweiler is not very active but she made sure she was noticed and petted. And the wee mixture was daein his best tae be the certre of attention.

A tastie deep fried halibut was worth the drive and then it was back to daughter's hoose.

I left with some clothes I had forgotten, home made mince and tatties, home made cottage pie, home made chicken chow mein, a cardboard tray of chocolate bars, huge box of chocolate chip cookies, half a can of Folgers coffee.

Two dinners in the near future;seniors and duplicate bridge group.

Not sure where I will spend Christmas Day and might take a drive to Brantford...a daughter,grandchildren and beautiful greatgrand children.

But, to answer, "any plans for Christmas" none which cannot be changed.

tam

Hi Pat,

I was in Wholefoods on the opening day afternoon,and it was unbelievable.I've never seen so many bling clad Newton Mearns/Whitecraigs/Giffnock ladies all in the one place at the same time.It was like the front row at the Louis Vuitton fashion show in Paris.

The choice is of course marvellous with 27 different kinds of spuds,every kind of eggs imaginable from birds you've never heard of.I think I saw do-do eggs,but I might just be imagining that.

No one could find a parking space for their Porches/Mercs./Jaguars,and I saw many a tiffet over who had spotted one first.I think there would be extensions ripped out in spats,and chelac nails at 50 paces.I was starting to get wheezie from being surrounded by cashmere jumpered fashionistas,so I left without buying anything as mortgages are still hard to come by,and there was certainly no sign of a recession in those hallowed food halls let me tell you.

I am going to Spain this year again for Christmas,arriving on the 19th Dec. and leaving 19th March.Christmas is so much more low key in Spain and there isn't that siege mentality you get here.Their big days are Christmas Eve,and Epiphany on the 6th of January,and Cristmas Day is very much a family day with people out walking and having a coffee or a glass of wine,and new toys getting their first airings,

Willie.x.

I refuse to even think about Christmas until December 1st. That said, the Chistmas decorations have gone up in Portobello Road and the street market is full of Christmas trees. I love Portobelo at Christmas and avoid Oxford Street or any shops in the west end like the plague.

It's great that Christmas Eve falls on a Saturday this year. No barnies with colleagues about who covered last year and who needs to work this year.

We are all well past the age of Santa Claus, so presents tend to be functional rather than magical but that will change if and when there are gransweans on the scene - no pressure, Harper junior. :P:lol:

If Mr H disnae do a turn, I, with the help of Nigel Slater, will be cooking a duck and putting my feet up and having a rest. At some point I'll watch White Christmas and the Queens Speech and that'll do me fine. :)

Nexrt week, friends who are heading off for the holidays are meeting up for a wee pre Christmas celebration. I have still got the works Christmas do to get through on December 6th (bah humbug!) After that it should be plain sailing ... :)

I think my "merry christmas" has already begun. Wednesday took the DinL for lunch, panzurotti and half of mine came home with me to be re-heated....one grandson was with us.

Early last week sent an invite to second eldest daughter for lunch. We decided on me going up to London(Ontario). Today was the day and daughter brought two of her sons and the girlfriend of the elder.

Lunch was preceded with a super greeting from three dugs,two of which are getting on in years and Shilo, short haired German pointer, has gone deaf....it took him a few minutes to realize I was there and his exuberance was heart warming..AND...he didnae pee. The rottweiler is not very active but she made sure she was noticed and petted. And the wee mixture was daein his best tae be the certre of attention.

A tastie deep fried halibut was worth the drive and then it was back to daughter's hoose.

I left with some clothes I had forgotten, home made mince and tatties, home made cottage pie, home made chicken chow mein, a cardboard tray of chocolate bars, huge box of chocolate chip cookies, half a can of Folgers coffee.

Two dinners in the near future;seniors and duplicate bridge group.

Not sure where I will spend Christmas Day and might take a drive to Brantford...a daughter,grandchildren and beautiful greatgrand children.

But, to answer, "any plans for Christmas" none which cannot be changed.

tam

Good to hear that the fun has already started, tam. Sounds as though you're being spoiled. Even the doggies love you. :)

I refuse to even think about Christmas until December 1st. That said, the Chistmas decorations have gone up in Portobello Road and the street market is full of Christmas trees. I love Portobelo at Christmas and avoid Oxford Street or any shops in the west end like the plague.

It's great that Christmas Eve falls on a Saturday this year. No barnies with colleagues about who covered last year and who needs to work this year.

We are all well past the age of Santa Claus, so presents tend to be functional rather than magical but that will change if and when there are gransweans on the scene - no pressure, Harper junior. :P:lol:

If Mr H disnae do a turn, I, with the help of Nigel Slater, will be cooking a duck and putting my feet up and having a rest. At some point I'll watch White Christmas and the Queens Speech and that'll do me fine. :)

Nexrt week, friends who are heading off for the holidays are meeting up for a wee pre Christmas celebration. I have still got the works Christmas do to get through on December 6th (bah humbug!) After that it should be plain sailing ... :)

You sound pretty organised, harper.

Duck is a tasty treat and you make sure and get those feet up. It's nice to have a few celebrations in the run up. Portobello Road sounds magical.:)

Hi Pat,

I was in Wholefoods on the opening day afternoon,and it was unbelievable.I've never seen so many bling clad Newton Mearns/Whitecraigs/Giffnock ladies all in the one place at the same time.It was like the front row at the Louis Vuitton fashion show in Paris.

The choice is of course marvellous with 27 different kinds of spuds,every kind of eggs imaginable from birds you've never heard of.I think I saw do-do eggs,but I might just be imagining that.

No one could find a parking space for their Porches/Mercs./Jaguars,and I saw many a tiffet over who had spotted one first.I think there would be extensions ripped out in spats,and chelac nails at 50 paces.I was starting to get wheezie from being surrounded by cashmere jumpered fashionistas,so I left without buying anything as mortgages are still hard to come by.There was certainly no sign of a recession in those hallowed food halls let me tell you.

I am going to Spain this year again for Christmas,arriving on the 19th Dec. and leaving 19th March.Christmas is so much more low key in Spain and there isn't that siege mentality you get here.Their big days are Christmas Eve,and Epiphany on the 6th of January,and Cristmas Day is very much a family day with people out walking and having a coffee or a glass of wine,and new toys getting their first airings,

Willie.x.

I think I'll be heading to Wholefoods on the 38 bus, Willie. Just for a wee mosey around. You're description is a scream but hasn't put me off at all.

Reports on the news about empty shops and I haven't been out doing much shopping but I was in Asda in Clydebank and couldn't get a trolley!!!

That sounds like a fantastic trip to Spain you've got lined up. Very civilized and relaxing. Hope you'll have access to a computer to keep us posted on your stay in Spain. Which part are you heading for?

I think I'll be heading to Wholefoods on the 38 bus, Willie. Just for a wee mosey around. You're description is a scream but hasn't put me off at all.

Reports on the news about empty shops and I haven't been out doing much shopping but I was in Asda in Clydebank and couldn't get a trolley!!!

That sounds like a fantastic trip to Spain you've got lined up. Very civilized and relaxing. Hope you'll have access to a computer to keep us posted on your stay in Spain. Which part are you heading for?

Aye, which part, Willie? I need to know what to pack. :P

Hi Miss Harper and Pat,

don't bring anything with you Miss Harper,i've had a fashion stylist pick you a new wardrobe which will be in situ in the Marbella apartment on your arrival.

You will notice that the colour palette of clothes she has chosen runs from pale to darker colours..the paler ones for wearing on arrival as your tan develops,and the darker more dramatic shades for when you have achieved that healthy glow so essential for trawling the boutiques of Puerto Banus.We will be papped of course,and no doubt hacked,but lets agree now just to take it in our stride as fellow (Easy)jetsetters would.Lets just concentrate on the champagne and smoked salmon,let Hello take their photos,and accept it with good grace.

I hope the Tiffany jewellery I got you isn't too ostentatious,but its returnable for something smaller.

Pat was asking if we would still be in touch while we are away,but of course a weekly copy of Hello will keep all our devoted public up to speed.I think we could be the Diana and Doddy de nos jours,minus the car crash of course

Willie.x.

Hi Miss Harper and Pat,

don't bring anything with you Miss Harper,i've had a fashion stylist pick you a new wardrobe which will be in situ in the Marbella apartment on your arrival.

You will notice that the colour palette of clothes she has chosen runs from pale to darker colours..the paler ones for wearing on arrival as your tan develops,and the darker more dramatic shades for when you have achieved that healthy glow so essential for trawling the boutiques of Puerto Banus.We will be papped of course,and no doubt hacked,but lets agree now just to take it in our stride as fellow (Easy)jetsetters would.Lets just concentrate on the champagne and smoked salmon,let Hello take their photos,and accept it with good grace.

I hope the Tiffany jewellery I got you isn't too ostentatious,but its returnable for something smaller.

Pat was asking if we would still be in touch while we are away,but of course a weekly copy of Hello will keep all our devoted public up to speed.I think we could be the Diana and Doddy de nos jours,minus the car crash of course

Willie.x.

My, you're a smooth talking fella and no mistake.

I'm not one for flashy diamonds but Ill make an exception just for you.

The wardrobe sounds fabulous. I'll make sure I pack one of those light chiffon scarfs for me barnet while we wizz along in the Morgan, or is it an E Type? I'm thinking of reviving my flick eyeliner look and kitten heels. Whadda you think?

I hope we travelling in style. I don't want to be rubbing shoulders with the (Easy)jetsetters, wannabe expat crowd, who big up their two week summer holidays into a "lifestyle". :lol:

I wouldn't want to take up too much news room in Hello. Poor Kate soooo needs the publicity.

I hope you will be ringing ahead to make sure the Bolly is chilled for our arrival.

Have we got a yacht?

My, you're a smooth talking fella and no mistake.

I'm not one for flashy diamonds but Ill make an exception just for you.

The wardrobe sounds fabulous. I'll make sure I pack one of those light chiffon scarfs for me barnet while we wizz along in the Morgan, or is it an E Type? I'm thinking of reviving my flick eyeliner look and kitten heels. Whadda you think?

I hope we travelling in style. I don't want to be rubbing shoulders with the (Easy)jetsetters, wannabe expat crowd, who big up their two week summer holidays into a "lifestyle". :lol:

I wouldn't want to take up too much news room in Hello. Poor Kate soooo needs the publicity.

I hope you will be ringing ahead to make sure the Bolly is chilled for our arrival.

Have we got a yacht?

Looks like I'm going to have to switch from OK to Hello. :lol:

I've never been to Marbella but hear it's pretty swanky in parts.

Hingmie, what were you up to - you seem to have copied a post to reply then got distracted? Or are you keeping your Christmas plans under wraps?

Oooh Miss Harper,

I am loving that flicky eyeliner look,and kitten heels are so much more understated than those awfull peery heeled Laboutins that no-one can walk in.I definately approve of this new look you are going to revive.

The staff will fly down Easyjet a couple of days beforehand to get the shutters opened and the villa aired.What kind of fresh flowers meet your approval?I normally go for anything that's out of season and harder to source.Whatever you choose will be themed in the Lear jet,and the villa.Let me know.I am surprised you would think any gift I would get you would be too blingy.Less is more as Estee Lauder said.The cars a Bentley,and due to sea sickness,..no yacht.

Going off topic slightly,but am I alone in thinking Kate and sis are hard as nails?Something in the eyes methinks.

Anyway,we don't want covers in Hello,we want double,double page spreads inside.Can I just say now that if the photographer doing the shoot asks you to pose lying across the 20 seater marble topped dining table,you remember and wear a liberty bodice underneath your Dior evening dress otherwise you'll get a chill in your kidneys and we both know how that can finish up!Anyway,give me your much valued thoughts,and those of Pat too would be a bonus.

P.S.Elton and David can meet us for drinks on their terrace,so lets do it,

Willie.x.

Oooh Miss Harper,

I am loving that flicky eyeliner look,and kitten heels are so much more understated than those awfull peery heeled Laboutins that no-one can walk in.I definately approve of this new look you are going to revive.

The staff will fly down Easyjet a couple of days beforehand to get the shutters opened and the villa aired.What kind of fresh flowers meet your approval?I normally go for anything that's out of season and harder to source.Whatever you choose will be themed in the Lear jet,and the villa.Let me know.I am surprised you would think any gift I would get you would be too blingy.Less is more as Estee Lauder said.The cars a Bentley,and due to sea sickness,..no yacht.

Going off topic slightly,but am I alone in thinking Kate and sis are hard as nails?Something in the eyes methinks.

Anyway,we don't want covers in Hello,we want double,double page spreads inside.Can I just say now that if the photographer doing the shoot asks you to pose lying across the 20 seater marble topped dining table,you remember and wear a liberty bodice underneath your Dior evening dress otherwise you'll get a chill in your kidneys and we both know how that can finish up!Anyway,give me your much valued thoughts,and those of Pat too would be a bonus.

P.S.Elton and David can meet us for drinks on their terrace,so lets do it,

Willie.x.

:lol: I'm all for the liberty bodice look, Willie, and you'll know better than I as to whether they're 'in' in Marbella.

I don't know if Ms Harper will approve of any shunting of the staff onto the cheap flights. I think she might push for them to go ahead on the fancy plane and then have it come back for the two of you.

I've not seen, or read, anything about Kate and sis since the wedding. Looks like I need to catch up. :lol:

Regarding guests to drink with on your terrace, I hear that Lady Gaga is to duet with Elton, it might be more interesting if she can be persuaded to join you. She'd present plenty of fodder for your fashion comments. :) Did you perchance see the headless gown? Could be we have a whole macabre season of dresses coming up.

(p.s. have you given up on Strictly?)

The sunny climes don't hold any festive fascination for me. I'll be waking up on Christmas morning to the views of Ailsa Craig. I'll canter down on 23rd December and maybe choose some gifts from the exotic displays in the Girvan shops en route. :lol:

No kitten heels will be required just some sturdy gor-tex boots. I cannae wait.

:lol: I'm all for the liberty bodice look, Willie, and you'll know better than I as to whether they're 'in' in Marbella.

I don't know if Ms Harper will approve of any shunting of the staff onto the cheap flights. I think she might push for them to go ahead on the fancy plane and then have it come back for the two of you.

I've not seen, or read, anything about Kate and sis since the wedding. Looks like I need to catch up. :lol:

Regarding guests to drink with on your terrace, I hear that Lady Gaga is to duet with Elton, it might be more interesting if she can be persuaded to join you. She'd present plenty of fodder for your fashion comments. :) Did you perchance see the headless gown? Could be we have a whole macabre season of dresses coming up.

(p.s. have you given up on Strictly?)

Hi Pat,

I'm afraid I'm from the old school and staff need to know their place,and that's at the back of the easyjet plane,and no speedy boarding either coz that costs extra and we are all having to tighten our belts.If Miss Harper agrees then we will take Miss Canny Lass with us too.I can't bear the thought of that wee soul in her gore tex tinselised wellingtons trudging along the beach with her metal detector looking for lost dubloons.She needs to know Marbella is just like Girvan in many ways..its just warmer.Oh,and please don't get me a crissie prezzy from the Girvan branch of Tiffanys Miss Canny, I have everything I could ever want.

And whose that bird Ailsa that keeps giving Miss Canny her views before she's asked?Is she Girvans answer to Susan Boyle?

I am clearing my throat as we speak Pat,and running up and down my scales in preparation for my Elton/Gaga/Willie jam.Just keep that Gaga away from me with her meat feast frocks,some are just offal,and i'm vegetarian!boom boom.

Anyway I await Miss Harpers random jottings on whats what,and carrying the thought of Miss Canny Lass and Ailsa emerging from the sea at Girvan looking very much like Ursula Andress in the bond movie,but sensibly wearing a waterproof duffle coat rather than that bikini.Anyway,much love to my three favourite ladies,

Willie.x.

I do not think I can compete with willie's exotic plans for Christmas but I can announce that I am very happy to be spending my first Christmas back in Scotland for a long time. I will be in good company and just the two of us on a quiet and romantic break. I am hiring a car and we will be away for five days then back in town for Hogmanany.

I do not think I can compete with willie's exotic plans for Christmas but I can announce that I am very happy to be spending my first Christmas back in Scotland for a long time. I will be in good company and just the two of us on a quiet and romantic break. I am hiring a car and we will be away for five days then back in town for Hogmanany.

Sounds just about perfect Rory

Sounds just about perfect Rory

Certainly does, rory. Looks like mistletoe will come into the equation. :)

Ah, loves young dream ...:rolleyes::D

Right, let's get back to Willie McShuggie and his plans ...

What can I say? Two minutes off the board and he's iniviting other posters ... :rolleyes: See men, see fickle.

Dear Mr Campbell,

I'm afraid I just couldn't be seen waftin' up the coast to San Pedro in anything less than an 18 berth yacht with a wee speedboat to transfer us ship to shore. You see, ever since I saw Daphine take off into the distance with Ozgood I've just be a sucker for the good life...:P